Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

This thread is becoming a masterpiece lol, I see the Cameron loonies are coming out of the woodwork.  Every defense of Avatar more or less comes down to it being the #1 grossing film and its about to lose that so they're a bit dazed and confused.  It makes SW7's impending 950m-1.05b gross all the sweeter.  Theres been an awakening my friends, embrace it.

Total box office gross is all I ever cared about, I'm not from America and their crazy Star Wars fandom is alien (green) to me.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Are James Cameron / Avatar fans counted in Kals?

You tell me Kal 2.5.  Kal is Kal, JamesCameronsSchlong is Kal 2.0, and you're Kal 2.5 

But you do seem different than the other Kals...

22911_o.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FTF said:

You tell me Kal 2.5.  Kal is Kal, JamesCameronsSchlong is Kal 2.0, and you're Kal 2.5 

But you do seem different than the other Kals...

22911_o.gif

Well I've only read 50 or so posts from Kal but they make me laugh, so i'll take that as a complement. It's tuff being a lonely Cameron fan in a star wars world.

Edited by IronJimbo

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Well I've only read 50 or so posts from Kal but they make me laugh, so i'll take that as a complement. It's tuff being a lonely Cameron fan in a star wars world.

The funny thing is Kal (and others) assuming that someone can only be a fan of one franchise or the other.

4 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm a fan of any franchise. I just like some individual films. Occasionally they're linked to other films I like.

Titanic

T2

The Terminator

True Lies

The Abyss

Aliens

Cameron ALWAYS delivers and brings something fresh each film and honestly "raises the bar" (jokes asisde). This is why Cameron is my favorite director.

Why I want Avatar to remain #1 WW?

Honestly that comes from the online hate of Avatar and the online love of Star Wars, sure I enjoyed Star Wars. TFA was pretty good but I didn't like it undermined ROJ, I mean why would Luke destroy the empire then just hide when they come back. There is more but I don't want to write a star wars review, bottomline is I muchly preferred Avatar despite enjoying TFA.

I browse reddit, the hate for Avatar on there is unreal. Also comments like "If Avatar can make 2.8bil then TFA can make 3bil easily", "It's safe to say TFA will be #1" annoy me quite a lot from baseless the comments on. It's literally just TFA > Avatar and it's fucking Star Wars man! Easy 3bil.

The Avatar hate also makes no sense, their main way of belittling Avatar is calling it blue pocohontas in space or dances with space wolves. Ok if they think the film is derivative that is fine, however the fact their poster boy film is TFA, which is easily more derivative than Avatar. No one is disputing the glaring similarities between TFA and ANH, then theres the fact ANH "was just The Hidden Fortress in space". The Avatar hate and star wars love extends past just reddit and seems to prevelent on any site related to any "geek" culture.

Plus it makes it funner for me being Avatar vs Star Wars, sort of like a sport.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Ugh. It's not a sport. It's not at all like a sport. And most of the attempts at comparison do not make sense. Avatar vs. Star Wars is like the 1998 Yankees being compared to the entire history of the Pittsburg Steelers.

There are tons of places on the internet where you can just go with your franchise fanwank. Unfortunately, that's also common here on this forum. I mostly stay here because some posters really do go for insightful analysis of the numbers. @spizzer @redfirebird2008 @Murgatroyd @peludo and the like are all bringing really intelligent points to the discussion that allows us to do much better comparisons than "My favorite beat your favorite."

• Like 1

DamienRoc... Avatar vs The Force Awakens is the greatest gladitor match in the history of the world.

entertainment vs fun

Science vs Fiction

child of Cameron vs flick of JJ

It's the same as a sport in the sense of the competition and rivalry. I don't really know about these American Football teams but Avatar's Franchise will be bigger than Star Wars in 5 years once they dilute star wars dry and Avatar has 4 masterpieces.

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Honestly that comes from the online hate of Avatar and the online love of Star Wars, sure I enjoyed Star Wars. TFA was pretty good but I didn't like it undermined ROJ, I mean why would Luke destroy the empire then just hide when they come back. There is more but I don't want to write a star wars review, bottomline is I muchly preferred Avatar despite enjoying TFA.

I browse reddit, the hate for Avatar on there is unreal. Also comments like "If Avatar can make 2.8bil then TFA can make 3bil easily", "It's safe to say TFA will be #1" annoy me quite a lot from baseless the comments on. It's literally just TFA > Avatar and it's fucking Star Wars man! Easy 3bil.

The Avatar hate also makes no sense, their main way of belittling Avatar is calling it blue pocohontas in space or dances with space wolves. Ok if they think the film is derivative that is fine, however the fact their poster boy film is TFA, which is easily more derivative than Avatar. No one is disputing the glaring similarities between TFA and ANH, then theres the fact ANH "was just The Hidden Fortress in space". The Avatar hate and star wars love extends past just reddit and seems to prevelent on any site related to any "geek" culture.

Nothing really new. Titanic would have had the same amount of hate if internet existed in 1999.

Because of how internet has become the biggest tool and place of how information gets connected and communicated, it somehow exaggerates your feeling towards certain info (such as the hatred or the worship on certain product or certain people) if you live too much of your life on internet or value it too much.

At least this is how I look at it.

59 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Are James Cameron / Avatar fans counted in Kals?

There  is only one legendarykal.  Tele and others follow him on twitter or facebook.  Cool to have enthusiastic Jimbo fans with all us pandorians though.  And Jimbo your never  alone as an avatar and James Cameron fan. Sws fanboys know it to be true lol

57 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Total box office gross is all I ever cared about, I'm not from America and their crazy Star Wars fandom is alien (green) to me.

As probably ain't making 900m dom and around 1.8 to. 1.9bww

But focusing on some faltering in legs is so jpw hangs in there.  Sws approaching 1.1b ww. 

2 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

There  is only one legendarykal.  Tele and others follow him on twitter or facebook.  Cool to have enthusiastic Jimbo fans with all us pandorians though.  And Jimbo your never  alone as an avatar and James Cameron fan. Sws fanboys know it to be true lol

uQMXk7J.jpg

This is our land afterall

• Like 1