Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

quotable dialogues would help the popularity of a film, but don't make a script better or worst.for me, dialogue isn't a necessary criterion for a good script; scripts are meant only for instruction for filmmaking; filmmaking isn't simply to represent or realize a script.as for the Avatar's narrative being derivative. All movies today are derivative and no artist of any medium can avoid inter-textuality of some degree.Actually, I find Avatar more relevant to the human condition of this digital age than most blockbusters these days. A guy, restricted in physical movement, is fighting glorifying battles in another world with his glorified avatar. it's the life of many of us today, sitting in front of your desktops, lapping your notebooks, or molesting your touch screens; we are the intersection of the world with our bodies and the world without our physicality. It's not random decisions from Cameron to make Jake Sully a cripple and pick "avatar" as the film title.

• Like 5

The fact that this thread has 85 pages with very little actual development in the last year shows that the movie is not "forgotten"

You don't make $2.7 Billion at the box office and get forgotten, no matter how much people who disliked the movie wished it was the case.That being said, this is a box office forum...of course the sequel to the biggest movie of all time will get a lot of talk. We'd be a pretty crappy group of box office followers if this wasn't a hot topic.

Actually, I find Avatar more relevant to the human condition of this digital age than most blockbusters these days. A guy, restricted in physical movement, is fighting glorifying battles in another world with his glorified avatar. it's the life of many of us today, sitting in front of your desktops, lapping your notebooks, or molesting your touch screens; we are the intersection of the world with our bodies and the world without our physicality.

It's not random decisions from Cameron to make Jake Sully a cripple and pick "avatar" as the film title.

QFT.

Never understood why some people on the internet dismiss Avatar as empty derivative blockbuster crap with the likes of Transformers 2. What you emphatized is subtext incarnated. Nowadays, people want to escape their dull lives in virtual lands incarnating virtual bodies thanks to technology. How that cannot be relevant in our era?

"I see you", that's a memorable quote because it's a metaphor of us audiences. We're like cripples sitting in a chair facing a flat screen and the 3D glasses take us into Pandora's landspaces, we escape just like Sully discovered a whole new world and mind settings through the body and the eyes of a Na'vi, changing his way to see things just like we used to see a 2D movie. Finally, we see shapes and people as they really are like Sully is revealed to be a real capable hero to Neytiri and Na'vis whereas he's despised ans seen as a traitor by most humans. Audience felt like Jake, an experience never seen before. Thanks to that, Cameron invited us to share the sheer escapism of the main protagonist and enjoy his awe. Visuals and technology matched perfectly the core of the story.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Avatar is to Cameron's earlier classics what the prequels are to the original trilogy. Visually spectacular and certainly enjoyable, but a pale shadow of what came before.

I think its even worse when you consider James Cameron wrote and directed Terminator 1, Terminator 2, Aliens, and Titanic. Avatar is just such an empty film in comparison. Its just captivating visuals at the end of the day with a stupid flat autopilot story and characters. The guy is much better than Avatar. I really hope this guy doesn't go all Lucas on us... we'll see what happens with Avatar 2.In 5-10 years when Avatar's wall to wall CGI becomes really dated, people are gonna look back on this cheesy flat CGI shitfest and laugh at how much money it made. Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

In 5-10 years when Avatar's wall to wall CGI becomes really dated, people are gonna look back on this cheesy flat CGI shitfest and laugh at how much money it made.

Give me that "cheesy flat CGI" everyday:

Posted Image

Nothing compares to this day and achieved that photo-realistic level in shapes, textures and movements. Avatar is one of few movies where CGI are better in broad daylight than nighttime. (The only contenders were Davey Jones and Gollum maybe).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

You know, people said all these same things about Titanic, and IMO its effects still look very impressive today.

People still think well of Titanic, despite many of the same comments being said about how people would not look kindly on that film either.Bottom line, no, I don't think Avatar will suffer the fate Shpongle speaks of. I get it...it's really, really hard to know that something you don't like is popular (ha), but it's worthless trying to convince everyone that popular opinion is somehow going to turn around to match yours. Let's get real...it's very unlikely. It didn't happen with Titanic, it's not gonna happen with Avatar. The only people who will be laughing at how much money Avatar made 5-10 years from now, are going to be the same damn people bitching about it now. Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

on any box office related website, Avatar will not be forgotten at least until its WW or US DOM record is broken. as of right now, the more a website is related to box office affair, the more unforgettable Avatar is.

Avatar 2 won't outgross Avatar domestic, nor overseas, nor Worldwide.