baumer

Divergent (2014)

42 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Predictable plot is predictable. Too long movie is too long. Stupid villains are stupid. Chemistry between our 'lovers' isn't there. Sudden game-changing plot device is sudden. Third act is three minutes long.

Oh, and this might not even be a real movie.

4/10

I did enjoy the first half of the movie.

• Like 2

Enjoyable enough YA thriller (and one of the better ones out there) with Shaliene Woodley turning in a fantastic performance and even Theo James was good in his role and had some decent chemistry with Woodley. As others said, the plot structure is a bit odd with the ending feeling too rushed, but even so, I was at least entertained and never bored.

***½/*****, (B+, 7.2/10, 3/4)

• Like 1

Predictable plot is predictable. Too long movie is too long. Stupid villains are stupid. Chemistry between our 'lovers' isn't there. Sudden game-changing plot device is sudden. Third act is three minutes long.

Oh, and this might not even be a real movie.

4/10

I did enjoy the first half of the movie.

I'm in the same boat. I wanted to like it but the movie seemed so bland. It felt as though they were training the entire time for some epic showdown which never happened. Seemed like a 2 hour set-up for a 2 minute pay-off if you could call it that.

Mom + Dad , didn't care for. Woodley looks better on Craigs Fergusons couch getting interviewed. The romance was forced and crigne worthy.

Overall, a hollow film.

If you're big into YA adaptations or if this is the first YA adaptation you've seen, you'll probably like this movie.

For me, it was a bland, derivative bore. Woodley is good. Other than that, there's not much to say about it. 

The movie never explained why being Divergent made Ecolene such a threat to the system.

http://divergent.wikia.com/wiki/Divergence

Divergence is the tendency to diverge from the norm which is, in this case, the mindset and way of thinking the factions are meant for. If you get a faction choice of more than one from the results of your aptitude test, you are considered Divergent.

Faction leaders want their members to think and act a certain way, according to how their faction states. For most, it is easy to adapt.

The factions have conditioned their members to think and act a certain way, and they've made their members find a pattern of thought that works and stays that way.

But the Divergents' minds are said to "move in several different directions" and can’t be confined to one way of thinking, meaning they cannot be controlled.

For this reason, the faction leaders are terrified of their ability and see them as threats who will always cause trouble for them. The only known factions so far which have taken action against the Divergent are Erudite and Dauntless.

• Like 1

It was certainly much better than the Hunger Games rip-off I was expecting.

The movie has its problems and basically 2/3 of it is Shailene training, being horny for that Dude and getting her ass kicked but it was interesting and quite enjoyable for what it was.

The only thing that kind of bothered me is that they over explain the premise and the setting to death. It's not that the exposition was boring but if you have such a ridiculous premise who demands a lot of suspension of disbelief from the audience, the best you can do is explain it simple and quickly and steer the audience away from asking questions about how plausible any of it is. Hunger Games has also a premise that the more you think about it the more ridiculous it sounds but they didn't focus on it, so the audience just suspends their disbelief and move on with the story instead of asking themselves every 10 minutes "why don't all the districts have trained assasins for the Games and not just the rich ones?", "How making martyrs out of young children in national tv would prevent a revolution instead of adding fuel to it?" an so on.

B.

Finally saw this movie.

At first it is very slow. And then it gets more and more interesting and cool.

I didn't saw much chemistry between Shailene Woodley and Theo James. (still, they were more believable than Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson)

And I'm so sorry, but seeing Kate Winslet in this movie made me laugh. I couldn't help but root for Kate in those "tris vs jeanine" scenes.

Also, Ansel Elgort playing Shailene's brother after watching The Fault In Our Stars, is so :(.

B

• Like 1

So, this got fine reviews here, I see that you guys are getting soft.

This is fucking terrible. There is only two thing to like here, Woodley and one musical theme.

It's generic, cheap, unrealistic, thinly plotted and mediocrely directed. It also has laughable and repetitive dialogue, chemistry free and out of place romance, bad supporting characters, even worse villain, magic mind-controlling plot device and dumb social commentary.

it's all there. 15/100

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

So, this got fine reviews here, I see that you guys are getting soft.

This is fucking terrible. There is only two thing to like here, Woodley and one score theme.

It's generic, cheap, unrealistic, thinly plotted and mediocrely directed. It also has laughable and repetitive dialogue, chemistry free and out of place romance, bad supporting characters, even worse villain, magic mind-controlling plot device and dumb social commentary.

it's all there. 15/100

You give everything horrible review, so...

B+

The film just kinda tosses most of the non lead characters to the side, but Woodly bus great and James is pretty good based well. The middle portion of the film worked really well. Particularly I felt the zip line scene and the capture the flag scene were very well shot.

Oh, and Ansel steals every scene he's in.