baumer

Divergent (2014)

42 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Meh

All the characters have no chemistry at all and the movie is extremely predictable though the actors are okayish, not really all that great. And the middle part of the movie was pretty dragging. Ended a bit abruptly too.

Its probably more for fan service, but definitely not going to resonate with me. 

C-

I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I think Shaileene was perfectly cast, in fact all the cast was good.  I'll write more later, but for now, a good start.

8/10

• Like 8

i liked it ok for the most part until the end , 

i read the book so i can say it was a pretty well done book to movie conversion , my only beef is that the movie closes with no sense of urgency when in the book its not so , they're chilling on the train , you get no sense of the estrangement between four and his dad and the voice over is like ok we live for another day we might fight .

WHAT there's no might about it...they're on that train on a mission they're going somewhere and the fight with the erudite faction/kate winslet character isnt over by a long shot 

the movie feels like a stand-alone , i guess they chose to do that because of previous YA films debuts in case film didnt take but it had me wondering if you're in the GA would you leave the theatre thinking there's a sequel coming ?

maybe i need to see this again, there's also the bit where since i read the book and a good hour of the film is like ticking off chapters in the book , i remember yeah ok ok ok..

i do like the casting , kate was cold  :wub: didnt mind theo james he's got some lips on him hello ^_^ and shailene she's cool , i loved to see , had no idea scandal POTUS was in this oh fitz :wub:

if i remember in the sequel we'll find out more about the other factions and what's really going on , i know i was pretty surprised at the end of insurgent , really have to start reading allegiant the 3rd book 

so yeah just because of the take on the ending i'm giving this an A-

C- here as well as I said on the main thread 

I liked it, nothing spectacular though I thought it was gonna be better tbh. As an adaption though, a lot of unnecessary changes were taken out and things that should have been taken out were left in. 

• Like 1

if i remember in the sequel we'll find out more about the other factions and what's really going on , i know i was pretty surprised at the end of insurgent , really have to start reading allegiant the 3rd book so yeah just because of the take on the ending i'm giving this an A-

Yeah, I'm rereading Insurgent right now. I really like it! Much more action packed and eventful than Divergent. Divergent was good though! Good enough to get me to want to reread the books and get excited for the sequel.
  • Like 1

Solid B+. The movie has an odd plot structure, spending about 80% of the film in Act 2 of training. Thus, act 2 is overlong and the climax is very rushed. However, Shailene Woodley is great, and it's ultimately an entertaining way to spend two and a half hours. Much better than expected.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

B+

I was pleasantly suprised. I'd heard so many bad thinks about the books and the movie and it ended up being really good. The only problem I had was that it started to drag at the end and I felt like I was sitting though the 10 Commandments or something. I also found myself comparing this to The Hunger Games (and Harry Potter in some places) so I probably will watch it again to judge it on it's own.

And dat Theo James.

Posted Image

Katniss could take some notes on what a sexy man looks like.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

B+

Disclaimer: I haven't read the books at all. They've been big but I haven't had the time to get into them.

I was thoroughly impressed by how good this movie actually was. I was expecting a typical young adult move but it was a good typical young adult movie.

What stops the movie is that there is no real sense of urgency or tension in the second act. Oh, sure she might be cut from the Soldier Faction but...it just seemed to lack any real focus.

Once it gets to Act III, it was fucking phenomenal. I actually want to see the sequel because I'm wondering how it all turns out. And unlike a lot of adaptions, I'm curious to read the novel now.

• Like 3

Ok just to start with the negativesWasnt sure on Jai Courtney as Eric but nothing too majorNow to the main problem- differences between book and filmJeanine stopped the simulation in the film but four stopped it in the book. Actually jeanine wasn't even around in that whole part in the bookThe mum was revealed to be divergent in the book but they only said dauntless and hinted at Divergent in the filmVisiting day got scrapped from the filmThere we no appearances from Molly, drew and edwardThey left out the scene where peter cut Edwards eye (I know they wouldn't show it but they should have mentioned it)I'm sure it was Christina who picked up the flag and not Tris (but I don't mind about them not including this)Tris and four getting of the big wheel was pretty exciting in the book and would have been amazing on the big screnAnd more which I will add when I remember themNow onto the positivesShaliene Woodley was absolutely fucking amazing. One hell of a fantastic performance. Really hope she breaks outTheo james was also great and the ensemble was pretty goodThe script was great and the action scenes were superbThe film was very excitingIm stuck between A+ and A (would probably be A+ if I hadn't read the novel which beats the film by absolutely miles)I recommend people to read the novels if they have notPretty good film all in all

• Like 1

I almost bought the book yesterday but instead I bought The Spectacular Now.  I fell in love with that movie and I want to see how it's written.

• Like 1

The movie is decent. It is somewhat enjoyable. They spent to long on the training sessions. There never a sense of urgency in the movie. I have a question about the fractionless. What is the point and how did they become fraction less. If they want everybody to belong to a fraction why not  create a new fraction for the the fraction less they care basic duties like transportation, a tattoo artist (what fraction is the tattoo person suppose to be?),  cleaning the streets, ect. 

6/10 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the tattoo artist(Maggie Q?) was one of the warrior people. It had very good production design. Although I did keeping thinking, so this is what Chicago looked like after Transformers 3.

• Like 2