62 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The most exciting turkey in years. Some bits that are absolutely stunning and some bits that are completely ridiculous, but overall the movie is intense and memorable. Also has Russell Crowe's best performance in a long time. 

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 5

The most exciting turkey in years. Some bits that are absolutely stunning and some bits that are completely ridiculous, but overall the movie is intense and memorable. Also has Russell Crowe's best performance in a long time. 

Did you find him the best in the film?

I can't help but ask, people. It's a disease.

• Like 1

Crowe is really one of the best at playing asshole heroes with a dark undercurrent. I'm hard-pressed to think of another A-list "star" who could do it. (Sure, someone like DDL could, but he's not the global star Crowe is.)

He was really good here. I was genuinely scared when Noah became deranged.

• Like 1

It's a fascinating and utterly unique film that's rarely ever seen from blockbusters.

I loved what Darren Aronofsky did with the story, and he's such an expert in handling characters that are obsessed and become torn from reality. It's a recurring theme in all his films, and although I think it was handled a bit better in Black Swan, it was far more terrifying here. Crowe genuinely scared me which is something I've never seen had happen in any blockbuster film. I think it was a brave thing to make the audience question the morality of Noah and just how much of his humanity he's willing to sacrifice for God. 

The film does suffer a bit from pacing issues (the story of Ham had little to no effect on me but he was played well by Logan). Douglas Booth was just there and had no impact whatsoever. Also...the people rioting and fighting became just a LITTLE bit too "eh" for me. There's actually an incredible scene when Noah's family is on the ark and the camera is focused on them but we hear the screams and begging of people outside who are being drowned. That was unexpectedly powerful. 

Crowe was terrific. He really was. I think it may be my favorite performance of his. I don't think any actor in the world could have done what he did. He's just that good. 

The two performances that had the biggest impact on me, though, were from Emma Watson and Jennifer Connelly. They are easily the film's heart and soul and give the film almost all of its emotion. I'm a big fan of Emma Watson, and I always want her to do well, so I was really encouraged by the generally great reviews about her in the film. And wow...she was brilliant. Her confrontation with Russell at the end was so powerful and harrowing, and she really pulled it off. If there's one thing anybody who's seen the film can't deny: the girl is a pro at crying. It was the most moving scene in the entire film, just slightly ahead of Jennifer Connelly's scene with Russel Crowe where she begged not to do anything to the baby if it were born a girl. That scene was perfect. She killed it, and I was moved more than I had expected. 

It does have its issues for sure, but it's very ambitious and manages to live up to it which is such a hard thing to do with a story like this. Fascinating film with brilliant performances from Watson, Connelly, and Crowe. 

A-

P.S: Anthony Hopkins eating the berry right before he was hit by the waves was hilarious. Loved him. I genuinely lol'd.

• Like 5

I can see why people hate this. I really do. But I loved it.

Loved the way the story was told. I have no idea how the original story is. That is probably why I didn't had any problems. I saw this is a usual fantasy movie. Crowe was terrific. Watson was outstanding. Winstone and Logan Lerman were also really good. Hopkins had a small role, but I liked him. Connelly had a fantastic scene with Crowe. She was just amazing. I had a tear in my eye in the scene Watson sings to the babies before Noah kills them. I can't wait to watch this again. Good God I feel so weird. I really thought I was going to dislike this but I came out completely in love with what Darren Aronofsky did. I am not surprised the WOM here is amazing and this will soon become the biggest movie of the year. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 5

Longest boringest most uninspired cgi giant rock movie.

I hated this more then I thought possible. Its so mono tone and bleak. The editing and pacing of the film had me scratching my head. Aronofsky wasn't able to construct a movie of that scope. Will easily make my bottom 5 of the year.

D (63)

• Like 1

Longest boringest most uninspired cgi giant rock movie.

I hated this more then I thought possible. Its so mono tone and bleak. The editing and pacing of the film had me scratching my head. Aronofsky wasn't able to construct a movie of that scope. Will easily make my bottom 5 of the year.

D (63)

There's a good chance it makes my top 10. :lol:

edit: well, maybe more like top 15-20.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 4

I liked the rocky fallen angels and thats pretty much it and the flood scenes.

This film bored me out of my mind, I could feel the nanoseconds passing.

Maximus moral dilemna in the third act was awful and boring. Lots of women crying was boring after the tenth time ...

Boring.

The story and characters never grabbed me. I don't even know what the movie ( the father of Thor with fertility powers is my best guess) was about and I simply didn't care enough for it.

• Like 2

I liked the middle part of the movie, it is well directed and quite suspenseful, coincidentally enough it's the only part that doesn't to pass heavy-handed messages ,  but the end and the beginning were awful (rainbow sky :puke:

C+ (60)

• Like 1

This was finally released in theaters here this week, and I came out loving the film.Amazing acting, that epic fantasy feel, and very strong direction & cinematography all while respecting the story of Noah, IMO.I love how Noah's re telling of the creation story includes imagery of evolution and modern man, all in one. And to add, this is probably the most artistically ambitious and well-crafted Bible movie I've ever seen. A-

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 3