Dementeleus

Weekend #s April 4-6 (Cap2: 96.2, Noah 17, Divergent 13)

The 

surveillance and freedom vs security issues were things covered in the dark knight plus the themes and feels of the movies were similar at least to me.

TDK pulled that from real world issues, just like Cap did. Both used them to tell stories about their respective protagonists. The only thing is that TDK came first, so I guess to some it looked like Cap was aping it.

In TWS,

the surveillance and freedom and security issues were also worked into the political thriller tone and used to develop Steve's morality and the conflict he faced working for a government that was failing the American people. That's a huge chunk of the story and very different from TDK.

• Like 1

The point is people on here are to quick to dismiss deadline or Nikki's projections because they disagree with their preconceived ideas over the gross as proven by friday.

They dismiss Nikki's projections because Nikki is often wrong. You should double-check Friday too, she was low early in the day and got closer at night

We wait for Rth because Rth is our beloved overlord

Deadline: 

Captain America: The Winter Solideris on its way to scoring the highest Saturday gross in April ever with $31M to $34M, continuing to plant its flag tonight. It is still in line to take in $90M to $95M this weekend. The two-day cume will pass the first Captain America’s three-day cume of $65.1M when it bowed in 2011. Here are the Top Seven as it stands now and will update again shortly as more numbers come tumbling in:

1). Captain America: The Winter Soldier (DIS), 3,938 theaters / $37M Fri. / $31M to $34M Sat. / 3-day cume $90.5M to $95M / Wk 1

2). Noah (PAR), 3,571 theaters (+4) / $4.9M Fri./ $7M to 7.5M Sat. / 3-day cume: $16M to $16.5M/ Total cume: $72M to $72.3M / Wk 2

3). Divergent (LGF), 3,631 theaters (-305) / $4.1M Fri. / $5.4M to $5.9M / 3-day cume: $12.5M to $13.2M / Total cume: $114M to $114.2M/ Wk 3

4). God’s Not Dead (FREE), 1,758 theaters (+580) / $2.2M Fri. / $2.7M to $3.2M Sat. / 3-day cume: $7.9M to $8.3M / Total cume: $32.7M to $33.1M / Wk 3

5). The Grand Budapest Hotel (FSL), 1,263 theaters (+286) / $1.8M Fri. / $2.5M to $3M / 3-day cume: $6M to $6.3M / Total cume: $33.2M to $33.6M / Wk 5

6). Muppets Most Wanted (DIS), 3,052 theaters (-142) / $1.5M Fri. / $2.6M to $3.1M Sat. / 3-day cume: $6M to $6.5M / Total Cume: $42.1M to $42.3M / Wk 3

7). Mr. Peabody And Sherman (FOX), 2,931 theaters (-368) / $1.29M Fri. / $2.1M to $2.5M / 3-day cume: $4.7M to $5.2M / Total cume: $101.9M to $102.2M / Wk 5

Wkd Box Office: #1 ''Captain America 2' (Dis/Marvel - 3938 runs) Needs big Sun to reach $100M - otherwise $95M-$98M. Fri $37M & Sat $34M.

So all numbers are converging, looks like a 34M Saturday and a 95M weekend with a Thor 2 like Sunday drop.

Yeah, Nikki's Sunday drop ranges from 20.5-29.5%  :rolleyes:

95m should to be max.

Well, there's a group for that too. I'm leaning towards B+ territory or so. Lots of minor issues, but a very entertaining product nonetheless.

I'm biased so I would say A- territory for me right now. Soundtrack was just bad. Horrible by itself, and not much improvement when in the movie either. Gotta agree with Tele on the guy playing TWS. I thought that scene between him and Pierce where he was conflicted and confused was rather cringeworthy while the rest of the performance was just typical badass killer guy.Wish to see a bit more of Sam Wilson but he got quite an impression though. Good build up.Other characters were great though. Highlight for me is Nick Fury. It's the first time they really dig deep into this character. Robert Redford has a great presence as well.Chris Evans is Cap to me, so no more need to be said. Pairing him up with Black Widow is awesome, give both characters much more depth and interesting dynamics. They have incredible chemistry.Liking the plots and actions a lot. My most favorite scene is probably the Toby Jones scene. Such a great reveal. The "man out of time" sequence and Steve/Peggy scene got me sniffing.Overall, I liked it (what a shock, huh? :P) but I feel like it's missing some sparks.Let's see how second viewing shape up.
  • Like 7

TDK pulled that from real world issues, just like Cap did. Both used them to tell stories about their respective protagonists. The only thing is that TDK came first, so I guess to some it looked like Cap was aping it.

In TWS,

the surveillance and freedom and security issues were also worked into the political thriller tone and used to develop Steve's morality and the conflict he faced working for a government that was failing the American people. That's a huge chunk of the story and very different from TDK.

The destroying of shield made no sense to me and the leaking of all the spy secrets is actually the worst thing that can happen I fail to see the patriotism with hurting national security. This movie told my spying= bad and governments and spy agencies shouldn't have secrets and that is an oversimplification of a complex and real world issue

Edited by boomboom234

It pretty much rocked the April OW record, and improved tremendously on TDW, so epic win for me.

It's also given Chris Evans a great opening weekend headlining his own movie. 

I'm really happy. (Although I kind of think Nikki's tweet reads like the movie *failed* somehow by not reaching $100mil LOL! I'll live though…(

Muppets Most Wanted will likely end with a mid-50s gross, still disappointing but oh well :(

Peabody's holds are really good. Too bad overseas performance is not good but I don't think it will be a big money loser for Dreamworks Animation

Divergent is doing solid as well. Lionsgate's investment was worth it

It is a feature not a bug. When these sports generate billions in revenues and the players make less than couple of grands per month then the system is set up to be abused. 

Yeah, pretty much. They should just start paying players already.

1) The average yearly cost of a 4 year collage is $22,000.  I would guess for Division 1 schools its closer to 25-30,000/year.  In contrast the median household income in the USA is only $29,000 ( 2010 )

So the idea that student athletes on scholarship are being 'taken advantage of' is ridiculous.

2) While collage athletics bring big time revenue in football and basketball they also have big time expenses.  In most collages football or basketball are funding all of the other sports which do bring in much revenue.  

3) While the big time programs bring in a lot of money most schools do not.  Colorado universities are not making much money from athletics.

4) Collages are not (usually) corporations with shareholders taking all the profit.  While there are some big time paid ADs and coaches... most of the profits go towards funding other school programs and scholarships.  

• Like 1

Deadline=Nikki :P

LOL Not anymore.

The point is people on here are to quick to dismiss deadline or Nikki's projections because they disagree with their preconceived ideas over the gross as proven by friday.

You said that Nikki was right. She was not. She was close but in the end she was 2m lower.

Then you started adding all of that other stuff. You could have just said this in the first place.

I'll dismiss Deadline all day long. They just copy and past a spreadsheet. 

Wkd Box Office: #1 ''Captain America 2' (Dis/Marvel - 3938 runs) Needs big Sun to reach $100M - otherwise $95M-$98M. Fri $37M & Sat $34M.

Great. With that Saturday, it's going do 95M OW. Absolutely phenomenal that it beat Thor 2 by 10M considering the rise in popularity of Hems and Loki after TA. WOM seems to be great with most and not a lot of heavy competition until TASM2. I think 260-270M finish is likely now. It has a legitimate shot at beating both Thor 2 and MOS WW.  :D

• Like 4

LOL Not anymore. You said that Nikki was right. She was not. She was close but in the end she was 2m lower. Then you started adding all of that other stuff. You could have just said this in the first place. I'll dismiss Deadline all day long. They just copy and past a spreadsheet.

You can take Nikki out of deadline but you'll never take deadline out of Nikki ;)
  • Like 3

Among limited openings, Jonathan Glazer's "Under the Skin" (A24) starring Scarlett Johannson, boosted by positive reviews, took in a strong $49,000 in only 4 theaters, looking to be (although not remotely at the same level) the biggest specialized opening so far this year after "The Grand Budapest Hotel."

Edited by La Binoche