CaptainJackSparrow

Was Snape a moral person

I ask this because, as I am rewatching DH 2, Snape is revealed to have wanted the Potter's under protection, while Dumbeldore didn't seem to care at first. (he wanted something in return)Also, I if I can remember correctly, didn't Dumbeldore's sister die because of Dumbeldore? Haven't read the books in ages.

Edited by the Crocodile Hunter

Dumbledore is a better person than Snape...a lot better.

Dumbledore was power-hungry when he was young, and completely believed in the mentality of persecuting Muggle-borns. He saw himself as superior and was obsessed with finding the three Hallows. Of course, with time, he began to realize he was wrong and prejudiced. He eventually fought Grindelwald (whom he was in love with and the person who really brought out Dumbledore's dark side) and defeated him. 

He never became Minister for Magic despite being asked because he knew he loved power and wouldn't trust himself. He did love Harry...even though he sometimes saw him as a person that needed to be controlled. Dumbledore died a man who fought hard for Muggle-born rights, equality, and would always emphasize the power of love.

Snape...despite being brave, was a pretty terrible person. Sure, he saved Harry, but he wouldn't have given a damn about him if he weren't Lily's son. Since Snape was the one who divulged the contents of the prophecy to Voldemort (which eventually led to Lily's murder), he became overwhelmed with guilt and swore to protect Harry. But only because of Lily. He was a nasty person, and he would bully the students he saw as different all the time. He projected so much hate onto Harry because he looked like James. He would constantly pick on Neville and Hermione, too. 

So...no. Snape is not a better person than Dumbledore. 

• Like 1

One more question, why did Harry half name his son Severus then?

Rowling's cheesy side coming out. But he named him because Snape died for Harry. He was protecting him all along.

Dumbledore's crazy manipulative, Snape's a sadistic bully, both had their decent moments but Harry didn't have to go naming his kid after them. One of many epilogue fails by Rowling but that's what happens when you stick to an ending that seemed like a good idea like fifteen years earlier.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

disclaimer: these opinions are mostly based on the book versions.  Any fact below is only my opinion even if it is irrefutably the truth :P  Also it is 4:30AM so probably a lot of spelling/grammar/rambling errors

Dumbledore was a Chess-master before anything else.  He was good but often more detached especially in the books.  He got to close to an evil and overly ambitious wizard (possibly fell in love with him it would explain a lot) and didn't seem to ever get quite that close to people.  He had fought in 3 wars the first of which he helped start, and accidentally killed his sister.  He had to send his closes friend to prison.  A child, which he brought to Hogwarts became the most dangerous dark wizard ever.  Therefore he distanced himself from Harry.  He knew he'd have to use Harry to defeat Voldemort and that he couldn't be emotionally attached.

Snape I think was slightly softened as well by the movies.  They didn't dwell on his bullying as much as in the books.  Snape didn't seem evil as much as immature.  In any situation it seemed he wanted to be one of the guys.  He bullied the Gryffindor students not just because Harry reminded him of James but also to be accepted by the Slytherin.  He was I guess the best way to put this small time evil.  He was very immature and if not for his unrequited love for Lilly he would have never done anything good.  If he was sorted into a different house he would have likely not become a death eater.  He is also very emotional.  He is not near as cool and rational as he thinks he is.  

No. Any good act that he ever did was just because he loved lily not because he wanted to do the good. He was not really evil, yes, but still he was not a good person either and I don't really think he can even be called neutral. All in all I guess on a scale of 1 to 10 of from good to bad he would be at 6.5.

He had morals but he was also a selfish person and wanted to put himself first. He hated and loved harry at the sametime. He wanted to protect Lily and  he feels some blame for her death.  If Voldemort would only killed James, Snape would have happy. He hated Harry since Harry remind Snape of James.