Totem

The Dark Knight Rises OS Discussion Thread/700M+ OS CLUB

Nice spin since TASM had an extra week to attain that gross. That is actually really bad for TASM since TDKR will pass it by end of next weekend.

We already told him that...
  • Like 1

""Batman" sequel tracking nearly 50 percent ahead of 2008's "Dark Knight;" "Ice Age 4" still No. 2 while "Total Recall" debuts lightly in Asia.

Warner Bros.’ The Dark Knight Rises commanded the foreign theatrical circuit for the third consecutive weekend, taking the No. 1 box office spot with $67 million drawn from 58 offshore markets, and hoisting its overseas gross total to $378.4 million.

While the weekend figure dropped 47% from the sequel’s $126.2 million grossed last round, Warner Bros. said Dark Knight Rises overall is tracking 31% ahead of the comparable foreign total registered by its franchise predecessor, 2008’s The Dark Knight, “at the same point in release if comparing” exchange rates applicable four years ago.

“At today’s exchange rates, we would be 49% ahead of The Dark Knight," said Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, the studio’s president of international distribution. Dark Knight Rises still has a ways to go to catch up to the overseas gross total -- $469 million – registered by The Dark Knight.

Rises continues to rack up impressive weekend numbers in the U.K. ($6.75 million in third round for a market cume of $63.9 million) and in France ($6.1 million, cume $20.5 million). Also, in Mexico ($5.5 million, cume $20.8 million), Germany $5.3 million, cume $20.8 million) and in South Korea ($5.3 million, cume $35.8 million)."

Why do you strongly disagree? The Indiana Jones and Batman comparisons are pretty strong proof of what I said.

Batman: $160m overseas

Indy 3: $277m overseas (73% higher than Batman)

1992-2005

Batman Returns - $162.8m overseas

Batman Forever - $152.5m overseas

Batman & Robin - $130.9m overseas

Batman Begins - $167.4m overseas

TDK: $468.5m overseas

Indy 4: $469.5m overseas (0.2% higher than Batman)

Indy kicked Batman's ass in 1989 by 73% and there was zero indication of Batman being hugely popular overseas until 2008 when TDK blew up big time and basically tied Indy 4's gross.

Very nice from the UK.It still has a chance to come close to or even match TDK's $89m gross.

And with a 22% lower exchange rate than in 2008, so it will sell more tickets than TDK (I don't think prices had rised a 22% the last 4 years)

No it isn't. Look at the historical performance of the films overseas. Batman didn't blow up until 2008. Superman has never blown up. Spider-Man has been huge overseas since its very first film in 2002. It is clearly the more popular character in those markets.

You can't just take the OS numbers without context. The original Spiderman did about the same OS than DOM, Superman did more OS than DOM. If Superman has never blown up OS it also has never blown up DOM. Batman indeed had historically a somewhat weaker DOM:OS ratio.

Why do you strongly disagree? The Indiana Jones and Batman comparisons are pretty strong proof of what I said.

Batman: $160m overseas

Indy 3: $277m overseas (73% higher than Batman)

1992-2005

Batman Returns - $162.8m overseas

Batman Forever - $152.5m overseas

Batman & Robin - $130.9m overseas

Batman Begins - $167.4m overseas

TDK: $468.5m overseas

Indy 4: $469.5m overseas (0.2% higher than Batman)

Indy kicked Batman's ass in 1989 by 73% and there was zero indication of Batman being hugely popular overseas until 2008 when TDK blew up big time and basically tied Indy 4's gross.

The market changed. Let's say that MoS grosses $275m DOM and $490m OS, while Batman's reboot grosses $300m DOM and $600m OS, giving that it will be released at a bigger market, even if they end at the top 5 of the year they are released, it's still impressive, don't. You think?

Claiming that if Batman makes it similar to TASM when it's rebooted that it's more impressive than what Spidey is doing is where I have a problem with. You place Batman as the underdog in the foreign markets, when the two of them are far from that at this point.

He just hates it that TDKR is wiping the floor with TASM.

Imagining Bale wiping his dirty bathroom floor with Andrew Garfield while Anne Hathaway steps on Emma Stone's ass is such a beautiful image.So beautiful.
  • Like 1

You can't just take the OS numbers without context. The original Spiderman did about the same OS than DOM, Superman did more OS than DOM. If Superman has never blown up OS it also has never blown up DOM. Batman indeed had historically a somewhat weaker DOM:OS ratio.

I'll buy the argument about Superman, but not Batman. The comparison with Indiana Jones makes it pretty obvious that Batman was not hugely popular overseas in 1989. If it was, then it shouldn't have been beaten by Indy 3 in such an embarrassing fashion (73%). By 2008, Indy was still huge overseas with $469m but Batman closed the gap with TDK. There was no indication of this happening with Batman Begins though, which grossed $300m less than Indy 4. My belief is Ledger's death added a ton of publicity for the film around the world.

IJack please stop. You are making ASM look bad

I don't think so, I think some perspective in the end will show how much people twisted TASM's numbers to something less impressive than it is. But I'm done, I don't want to start flame wars here, it's just that TDKR, a finale to an acclaimed series, it's behaving closely to TASM than I believe a lot of people here won't like to admit.