Films

Weekend numbers: Ca2 41.4M, Oculus 12M, draft day 9.75M, Raid 2 1M

I disliked it and I'm not religious.  IMO, except for some of the acting, it's just a bad movie.

Yeah, I have also been hearing terrible thinks about Noah from non-religious people over here.

Cloudy 2 is a direct to DVD sequel that found his way into theaters because the first was big enough.

I remember people liking the first Rio a lot. It is a 500M WW beast that had good legs. It was obviously gonna make more than Cloudy 2, DOM and WW.

I remember more people like Cloudy 1 :/

I don't see how Rio 2 can make more than Cloudy 2... they're both unwanted sequels to smaller children's movies from bigger studios  :(

If you see how Cloudy 2 legs dropped compared to Cloudy 1 (multiplier of 3.52 vs 4.12 - a drop of 14.56%) and apply that to Rio..

Rio 2's multiplier will be 3.13 (off 14.56% from Rio's 3.66)..would give it a total of 137.7m (assuming a 44m ow)

Easter might help Rio 2 more than any other film.

Edited by a2knet

It's still the funniest movie I've seen this year

... that doesn't surprise me knowing you. :P It's still my favorite movie I've seen this year, and I'll be shocked if it doesn't stay in my top 5 by the end of it.

Oh silly, baumer, I only think about domestic! :P

But you can't.  Film business is a global thing, not just one market.  

• Like 2

How much will Easter help Noah, since it's WOM with the religious crowd is not good overall?

I will just say again, there was a way to make a Noah movie that wasn't super staid, without seeming generally WTF to American Christians, and that movie probably could have approached $200m or more because it would have repeat business and Christians would've taken their kids to see it, too. Aronofsky's an art house guy who made an art house movie, and that's fine, but as a business decision it will always baffle and amaze me, how much money Hollywood is willing to throw some people's way.

It won't do well over the 3-day Easter weekend - probably because American Christians have decided to flock to "God's Not Dead" instead.  There just aren't that many Jews in the U.S. to line up to see an Old Testament story. 

No offense to those who believed in that club, but if they really did, then they weren't paying attention to the trends of most CBM's.  Most people (I'd say 80% of the people who post here) knew that a 50 mill second weekend was impossible.  

Yeah I knew it. But I wanted to join anyway, lol.

CA2's 159.7% jump is similar to IM3's 159.1%.

If it plays out similarly over the weekend, it will make:

19.35 (+62.6%)

12.54 (-35.2%)

43.79m

Why is the weekend estimate capped at 42m..is it because the 62.6% Saturday jump is out of reach?

Avengers, IM1 and IM2 Saturday jumps were actually smaller - 46.8%, 49.7% and 43.7%

IM3 would be an anomaly then for some reason..

CA2's 159.7% jump is similar to IM3's 159.1%.

If it plays out similarly over the weekend, it will make:

19.35 (+62.6%)

12.54 (-35.2%)

43.79m

Why is the weekend estimate capped at 42m..is it because the 62.6% Saturday jump is out of reach?

Avengers, IM1 and IM2 Saturday jumps were actually smaller - 46.8%, 49.7% and 43.7%

IM3 would be an anomaly then for some reason..

Not quite. Thor and Thor 2 jumped 66% and 59% respectively.