Films

Weekend numbers: Ca2 41.4M, Oculus 12M, draft day 9.75M, Raid 2 1M

I don't care what movie it is, but if I see the New Line logo, I'm going to yell MORTAL KOMBAT thanks to this glorious intro. The Hobbit: There and Back Again? MORTAL KOMBAT. New Year's Eve? MORTAL KOMBAT. Rush Hour 2? MORTAL KOMBAT

GOAT

• Like 4

I don't care what movie it is, but if I see the New Line logo, I'm going to yell MORTAL KOMBAT thanks to this glorious intro. The Hobbit: There and Back Again? MORTAL KOMBAT. New Year's Eve? MORTAL KOMBAT. Rush Hour 2? MORTAL KOMBAT

LOL -- now that's what I'm talking about .......

Edited by Subzero
  • Like 1

There are not enough likes in the world to equal the joy that movie has given me.

• Like 1

400 pages with 95% of the content not actually being posted in the thread.

Is this true? Is there really even a Marvel vs DC thread?

I don't think I've ever seen it. Which forum is it in?

While I love "How did this get made?", they have a severe lack of knowledge about the movies they are discussing. They recently did an episode on "Mortal Kombat" and got so many things wrong it was hilarious to listen to.

I just think that when people talk records being broken nowadays they tend to forget about adjusting for inflation and U.S. population decades ago.  Every year we read about a new record being broken, either domestic or worldwide, and forget how something like Jaws in the 70s would have clobbered Frozen or anything else when it comes to inflation and U.S. population.  Frozen is very, very impressive for a Disney movie, but it is still 108th domestic when adjusted for inflated ticket prices.

I'm a big proponent of the classics like JAWS and SW selling  a crap load of tickets.  But let's be fair.  That era had no Home video to deal with, no internet, no pirating, no BR, no Digital Downloads and so on.  I agree that films 20-30-40 years ago sold way more but they also had less to deal with.  So the whole adjusted thing is really hard to figure out. 

• Like 7

I'm a big proponent of the classics like JAWS and SW selling  a crap load of tickets.  But let's be fair.  That era had no Home video to deal with, no internet, no pirating, no BR, no Digital Downloads and so on.  I agree that films 20-30-40 years ago sold way more but they also had less to deal with.  So the whole adjusted thing is really hard to figure out. 

I was watching a slasher movie documentary today and it had newspaper clippings of Halloween grossing over $70M and F13 grossing over $50M, much higher than recorded for either movie. Do you know anything about that?

• Like 1

I was watching a slasher movie documentary today and it had newspaper clippings of Halloween grossing over $70M and F13 grossing over $50M, much higher than recorded for either movie. Do you know anything about that?

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to horror grosses not being published correctly from the 70/80's.  Tobe Hooper (I'm sure you already know this) has gone on record as saying that Texas Chainsaw made more than 100 mill.  He has no proof of course, but that film was financed by Mobsters so who knows where the money went.  As for Halloween, it being independent means they could siphon the money easily.  As for Friday, that is a bit trickier because it was done by a major,  I'll look into it some more.

• Like 1

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to horror grosses not being published correctly from the 70/80's.  Tobe Hooper (I'm sure you already know this) has gone on record as saying that Texas Chainsaw made more than 100 mill.  He has no proof of course, but that film was financed by Mobsters so who knows where the money went.  As for Halloween, it being independent means they could siphon the money easily.  As for Friday, that is a bit trickier because it was done by a major,  I'll look into it some more.

Regardless of how much they grossed, Halloween, Friday The 13th and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre were all low budget films that managed to make a fortune each.

That much we do know.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1