Blankments

TimeOut's Top 100 Animated Movies of All-Time (Voted on by Animation Experts/Directors)

Infinitely better than the ever-so-small-minded lists that pop up from groups of people on this board who all pat each other on the back for loving the exact same movies.

As opposed to these folks patting each other on the back for loving movies they themselves were involved in?

Edited by Spidey Freak of Highgarden

An interesting fact is that voting started before LEGO came out, so a more fair list would probably have ranked it even higher than where it's at. :o

The LEGO Movie was great, and its critical and commercial success is much deserved, but Lord and Miller's Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs deserves a share of that love! Honestly, it's refreshingly cartoony, with just the right balance of humor and heart. Great design, amazing sight gags, sharp writing, lovable characters--really, it's one of the best CGI flicks from the US studios in the last decade. I'd without hesitation choose it over Up (which came out the same year and swept up the Oscar). I just feel that it is so underrated. It has so many of the basic components that make The Lego Movie so loved... what gives?

• Like 4

So no Hunchback of Notre Dame...............WTF

I'm as big a fan of Hunchback as anyone (probably even more), but it shouldn't be on this list. The gargoyles drag it down too much.

Alice? Alice? Who or what the fuck is Alice 1988 that is apparently the 12th greatest animation of all time? 

given that jan svankmajer has made one of my favourite (short) animated films in 'dimensions of dialogue', i can't imagine that 'alice' is misplaced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqGAZgtDiBU

I think I might host a "Top xx Animated Movies of All Time (Any Format)" thing sometime in May, would anybody be down for that? We only had a post-2000s one before I think.

Allow me to tell you the results ahead of time.

1. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

2. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

3. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

4. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

5. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

6. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

7. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

8. Overrated Disney/Pixar film.

9. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

10. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

There's a slight possibility that a Ghibli or something else might slip in, but I suspect this is accurate enough.

• Like 2

Finding Nemo not being in the top 10 saddens me, actually the fact that the only Pixar movie in the top 10 is Toy Story (one of their most overrated franchises, but still great, their other original films besides Cars, Brave, and Bugs Life are better).  

I get that you're not supposed to put much 21st century animation, but honestly some of the best animation has come during this period.

I think if I did it now, Frozen would basically be guaranteed #1, so I'm hoping some of the buzz will die down a bit by the time I start it so I don't get a dozen people complaining to me about how some classic didn't make it instead. :ph34r:

To be honest, all of the extreme Frozen buzz has actually started to make me like it less, simply because I have been overexposed to it, and if I hear one more person break out into Let it Go I might go insane.

• Like 1