grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

20 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

May be you are comparing USD Total but LC is still same. Only studio that's failing is Disney. Other's are doing fine. 

Mario is an Animation. Theirs is barrier between Live-action & Animation. No way Live-action can reach Animation numbers unless it's Top Gun Maverick. I would recommend not to compare them at all.

Well yes I agree with you, which is why I’m saying I would be surprised to see Barbie make a lot in Japan. 

5 hours ago, Fanboy said:

If that's the case that's a good runtime. Not many big films are under 2 hours these days. Assuming its #1 on its weekend it would be only the 4th or 5th #1 movie this year with a runtime under 2 hours, depending on whether Insidious is #1 on its opening weekend. 

Yeah perfect runtime. Even 5 minute less would have been better. A comedy doesn't need more than 105-110 minutes. Never. 

On 6/27/2023 at 11:04 PM, joselowe said:

The Barbie fans are going to be so upset when this film doesn’t do well with the critics. As I’ve stated numerous times apparently WB is scared by how bad this film is and a few of the early screenings stated that and that families actually walked out. This film has a huge fan base I’ll give it that. But even if it does amazingly well it’s first week WOM will be awful for this film.

You posted every negative quote about the movie you could find (most or all of them via Jordan Ruin-me) and even posted it in TLM thread while simultaniously giving TLM's disappointing run (OS rejection, no cultural impact or movement Stateside that the studio hoped for) a spin that it's some kind of unique hard-won or whatever success. It seems to me that you grind an axe with Barbie because it threatens TLM somehow? pro-one movie con-other movie bias is clearly showing. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

You posted every negative quote about the movie you could find (most or all of them via Jordan Ruin-me) and even posted it in TLM thread while simultaniously giving TLM's disappointing run (OS rejection, no cultural impact or movement Stateside that the studio hoped for) a spin that it's some kind of unique hard-won or whatever success. It seems to me that you grind an axe with Barbie because it threatens TLM somehow? pro-one movie con-other movie bias is clearly showing. 

Barbie is obviously going to do more than TLM, as tracking indicates that; the question now is whether it can do a billion or not. Could it be the next Joker for WB?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Barbie is obviously going to do more than TLM, as tracking indicates that; the question now is whether it can do a billion or not. Could it be the next Joker for WB?

I've no idea how it looks OS save that Japan is hyped. Hopefully someone who has better view of OS situation can elaborate.

I'd love it to become the next Joker but rn I'm just crossing fingers for my Yes We KEN! club cause I don't want to over-expect. :)

Edited by Valonqar

i'm not sure about Japan and Asia too. Depends on the film. I think it can start strong cause what we see in the trailer is a daydream for every little girl in every angle of the world. If the movie is too much a satire of american society it can be interesting for the western audience in general, maybe not for other zones of the globe, so the WOM couldn't be great. 

If the movie has a satire of american society and at the same time the story is engaging and emotional it can make good. I think the hype exists also on asian markets, since i saw on twitter and instagram a lot of posts  about this movies from asian users too. 

Edited by vale9001

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Lmao right message wrong messenger considering your own need to bury The Marvels and TLM to prop up The Barbz

Also speaking of cultural impact, TLM has officially made Halle Bailey a future superstar with an army behind her, Disney is comfortable still pushing Black Ariel to the agony of the haters and Barbie is yet to outsell Amazon's No.1 selling toy of 2023, the Halle Ariel doll. No other live action remake has come close to making such waves.

Sassy Peace Out GIF

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Willowra said:

There is a zero tracking indicating that. It also has zero shot at billion. I absolutely love Greta and pumped for this movie, but let's keep some sort of reality in place. Reviews and WoM will be decent, but it's not for everyone, so prepare for some backlash, that's inevitable.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Lmao right message wrong messenger considering your own need to bury The Marvels and TLM to prop up The Barbz

My club is open for everyone to see I'm not doing concerned trolling nor taking passive-aggressive potshots. Also, when was the last time I was in The Marvels thread? apples and oranges, mate.

Barbie doesn't need me to prop it it's already propped. Hype is real deal with it.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

There is a zero tracking indicating that. It also has zero shot at billion. I absolutely love Greta and pumped for this movie, but let's keep some sort of reality in place. Reviews and WoM will be decent, but it's not for everyone, so prepare for some backlash, that's inevitable.

probably he means in the OW. 

8 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I think Barbie will do more than TLM at overseas market, so even if it fall behind TLM by few millions in DOM market, it can still do more than TLM worldwide.

17 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Also speaking of cultural impact, TLM has officially made Halle Bailey a future superstar with an army behind her, Disney is comfortable still pushing Black Ariel to the agony of the haters and Barbie is yet to outsell Amazon's No.1 selling toy of 2023, the Halle Ariel doll. No other live action remake has come close to making such waves.

Sassy Peace Out GIF

Be serious Barbie is a cultural phenomenon already. TLM if not for backlash was a totally transparent movie (as a copy carbon movie can only be). Any impact of any sort. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

LOL, Halle expected TLM to make BP numbers. It won't even sniff WF numbers and that one fell like a rock from BP. So as far as cultural impact goes, Halle's movie didn't achieve even half of the goal she set for it. Her words not mine. Granted she doesn't know jackshit about boxoffice and marketing for the matter or she wouldn't set expectations impossibly high. Why would a movie about a girl who changes herself for a guy have a cultural impact of any kind? 

As for superstar, she certainly deserves it but lets wait for a movie that actually breaks even first and that isn't a franchise where brand is a draw not whoever they cast. 

And you know veyr well that cartoon was approved before the movie opened so it isn't a sign of confidence. It's simply something they are stuck with. 

Barbie dolls are fine they sell around the year every year, they aren't just one and done. 

• Like 4

Yeah, there's no questioning this is going to open massive at this point and anyone who doesn't believe it will is doing so at their own peril. But bigger than The Little Mermaid? Uh, yeah, let's keep those expectations in check please. :lol: Given how well it's selling $60M+ is looking like a sure thing at least. Possibly even $70M+.