grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

9 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Right now seems everything but divisive honestly. 

Some negative reaction or review or opinion doesn't make something divisive. Divisive Is when people are like 50 and 50. 

Usually negative reactors (duh) wait a bit longer to post their opinion. But I agree with you, so far we only have a couple of mixed reactions. 

Inception had tremendous hold despite B+ CS while Woman King had blah hold despite A+ CS, 99% Verified and critical circle jerk. Movies that don't interest audience outside of their core demo don't go far despite WOM from that demo while movies that interest broader audience can go far even if WOM is mixed. Event movies, which Barbie is, overcome mixed WOM because people still want to know what the fuss is all about. Remember Joker a movie that Barbie is currently compared to? First 1B grossing R movie and all that w/o 3D and China on top of media attempts to take it down. Yes Barbie KEN earn that much too! And it has much more favorable circumstances than Joker.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, vale9001 said:

anyway what i mean is ins some of these countries (like the UAS) lgbqt contents are prohibited at all, lgbqt movies just don't exist. 

Meawhile in China there is a flourishing market of lgbqt themed movies, even very explicit. So i would say their problem is when it's on children kids related stuff and it's explicit cause it's the old story of  "propaganda to children" (??) or whatever. But it's not prohibited for adults or in every context.

Secrets of Dumblefore needs to erase Dumbledore saying he was in love with Grindelwald to be released in China.

I really doubt Barbie is for adults a lot more than Fantastic Beasts.

I think LGBT themes could be implied in countries like China, but not really acknowledged or explicit.

PS: China also has market of movies for adults, but I really doubt Barbie will be released in that market

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, upriser7 said:

just another day in America then..

Nor just America, VIetnam has banned the movie because of the "Map".

At least the Vietnames have a legit gripe, given the history between Vietnam and China I can see how a map implying that China owns VIetnam would be offesnive. But still , it is pianfully clear that it was pure accident. pretty sure Warners had no political motive. But.,yeah, somebody should have acught it and changed the map.

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Inception had tremendous hold despite B+ CS while Woman King had blah hold despite A+ CS, 99% Verified and critical circle jerk. Movies that don't interest audience outside of their core demo don't go far despite WOM from that demo while movies that interest broader audience can go far even if WOM is mixed. Event movies, which Barbie is, overcome mixed WOM because people still want to know what the fuss is all about. Remember Joker a movie that Barbie is currently compared to? First 1B grossing R movie and all that w/o 3D and China on top of media attempts to take it down. Yes Barbie KEN earn that much too! And it has much more favorable circumstances than Joker.

Seems from reactions from core audience type of persons, critics, movie nerds etc . It's a kinda of fun inspirational movie every kind of target Will like it. After the First trailer i said this would have been a kind of Dreamworks animated meeting Pixar and i think it's what It is. 

Only doubt is if some parents going with Kids will give a more negative review cause It's not 100% the movie kids they were searching. 

But even with that I think the worst scenario for the metascore is A-. 

43 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Right now seems everything but divisive honestly. 

Some negative reaction or review or opinion doesn't make something divisive. Divisive Is when people are like 50 and 50. 

I cannot think of any movie that did not get a few negative reviews somewhere. If by divisive you mean not getting 100% positive reviews, then every movie ever made is divisive.

Divisive is when the reviews are pretty evenly split.

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

Crimes of Dumblefore needs to erase Dumbledore saying he was in love with Grindelwald to be released in China.

I really doubt Barbie is for adults a lot more than Fantastic Beasts.

I think LGBT themes could be implied in countries like China, but not really acknowledged or explicit.

PS: China also has market of movies for adults, but I really doubt Barbie will be released in that market

Well. other then the Chinsese Government sucks, nothing new here.

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Seems from reactions from core audience type of persons, critics, movie nerds etc . It's a kinda of fun inspirational movie every kind of target Will like it. After the First trailer i said this would have been a kind of Dreamworks animated meeting Pixar and i think it's what It is. 

Only doubt is if some parents going with Kids will give a more negative review cause It's not 100% the movie kids they were searching. 

But even with that I think the worst scenario for the metascore is A-. 

Yep this won't be divisive in the way Joker was (which didn't hurt one bit) not even close but I entertained the scenario and event beats controversy any time any day. This is an EVENT.

Just running some numbers for overseas and despite a weaker Asia, it's going to BLOW everything out of the water

15M+ Aus

17M~ Mexico

15M+ (at minimum) Brazil

10M+ (at minimum) UK

Using Mario's concentration in its top 4 markets on release here assuming a similar distribution, $135M-$140M INT OW minimum; probably will go even higher though if things play out right (which they probably will). 300M global opening in the cards. With good holds and a good China/Japan/SK, Barbilllion to the moon.

Edited by Bobzaruni

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is going to be such an epic win for creativity. Gerwig is the female Nolan circa BATMAN BEGINS right now. 

Presale in south korea even lower than Elemental atm

China just start presale yesterday, only 1 - 2 cinemas will have Barbie in one big city (some say the ticket system is not fully updated yet), also low number of showings in unconvient time (something like 4 showings 9am 11am 13pm 15pm)

I have low expectation in these two areas