grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I was thinking the same for Little Women and then she made such an energic, full of life, freshier version of it. So honestly I'm excited for her Narnias too. 😄

Yeah... That was like what... The 4th or 5th Little Women movie. It's good. It's another Little Women movie though. I'd like to see her do an original project with a bigger budget. But, given her recent ones are honestly pretty huge IPs like Little Women, Barbie and Narnia, maybe it's just not her thing?

Speaking of Gerwig, I saw a movie on TCM a few weeks ago called Girlfriends. Somehow had never seen it. Awesome little movie from late 70s/early 80s. I imagine it had a huge positive influence on her when she saw it I assume long ago. I couldn't stop thinking about her early films while I watched it.

I’m kinda happy Gerwig is making Narnia tbh 

I love smaller movies and we’re in a good moment for these movies quality wise, blockbusters was dire tho 

I’m having king of a fever dream with punches of Top Gun - Avatar - John Wick - D&D - MI7 and apparently Barbie 

We need actually talented people doing these movies and i strongly believe the best way to inject personality in brand movies is having passionate people doing them and doing it well 

Greta proved herself in indie, mid budget and apparently high budget movies. I’m happy she’s consciously going all in for populist projects and saying openly she wants to be seen. 

Narnia have all the perfect themes for her to shine, the only bad part of it is Netflix doing it but oh well we can’t win every time

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is such a sexy way to phrase it i’m gonna copy

It’s a real term in film criticism now. Basically a fancy way of people defending trashy movies from filmmakers (or I guess actors, since people who subscribe to this also like Adam Sandler movies) they like. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulgar_auteurism

• Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Barbie becoming this cultural behemoth and opening bigger than a Nolan movie feels like the definitive end of the Superhero era. 

Maybe if it hadn't been a dozen+ years since Nolan released a superhero anything I'd agree. Lots of stuff has out opened and outgrossed his movies since his Batman trilogy though. They're done great for original projects don't get me wrong but still...

super heroes are still not dead cause even if maybe they're not the big thing in pop culture like in the decade before they're still (at least for marvel side)  from decent to great at the box office basically 3-4 times for year.

Certainly if after Barbie Wonka became a big christmas success (and color purple?), with The Nun 2 doing good for sure, Dune doing good at least of big surprises for Warner the 3 bombs of the year (shazam, blue beetle  (?) and The Flash) are all Super heroes movies. 

Mickey 17 next spring will be another of these Warner + author surprise  like Gravity, Barbie, Dune, Nolan batman, Mad Max and many others?

Edited by vale9001

1 minute ago, Eric Stickell said:

It’s a real term in film criticism now. Basically a fancy way of people defending trashy movies from filmmakers (or I guess actors, since people who subscribe to this also like Adam Sandler movies) they like. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulgar_auteurism

Okay i give it a look at the examples and maybe i need help because i kinda love many of these movies lol 

Some of them it’s not that i even think of them in a trashy way they’re just like really good and unfairly treated 

Seems like some people think is a negative thing but honestly i’m fine in defending “bad” auterism, i could be defending bad companies instead and giving shame to the society

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m kinda happy Gerwig is making Narnia tbh 

I love smaller movies and we’re in a good moment for these movies quality wise, blockbusters was dire tho 

I’m having king of a fever dream with punches of Top Gun - Avatar - John Wick - D&D - MI7 and apparently Barbie 

We need actually talented people doing these movies and i strongly believe the best way to inject personality in brand movies is having passionate people doing them and doing it well 

Greta proved herself in indie, mid budget and apparently high budget movies. I’m happy she’s consciously going all in for populist projects and saying openly she wants to be seen. 

Narnia have all the perfect themes for her to shine, the only bad part of it is Netflix doing it but oh well we can’t win every time

is Netflix giving Narnia a wide, extended release in theaters? If so, I guess I'm slightly prone to agree with you. 

Was hoping she'd do the Nolan, Peele or whoever thing and do some huge budget OP. I'm sure she still will after Narnia though. But, seeing her do Narnia, Polley on Bambi and Barry Jenkins on Mufasa is pretty deflating for me... Makes me dread Bong or Peele or Ducournau or whoever doing the same. I hope they don't unless it's a super passion project thing or their own OP with a juicy budget.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

super heroes are still not death cause even if maybe they're not the big thing in pop culture like in the decade before they're still (at least for marvel side)  from decent to great at the box office basically 3-4 times for year.

Certainly if after Barbie Wonka became a big christmas success (and color purple?), with The Nun 2 doing good for sure, Dune doing good at least of big surprises for Warner the 3 bombs of the year (shazam, blue beetle  (?) and The Flash) are all Super heroes movies. 

Mickey 17 next spring will be another of these Warner + author surprise  like Gravity, Barbie, Dune, Nolan batman, Mad Max and many others?

I’m so excited about Mickey 17 

My boy Pattinson is finally getting his big movies but now good, and Bong can do no wrong (and this book must be amazing because he took a very long time deciding what to do after the juggernaut Parasite)

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

super heroes are still not death cause even if maybe they're not the big thing in pop culture like in the decade before they're still (at least for marvel side)  from decent to great at the box office basically 3-4 times for year.

I don't see Mickey 17 coming remotely close to any of those. Bong doesn't have a big enough audience for that. There's definitely a ceiling to his stuff. I'm referring to DOM. Maybe it's a big deal OS though?

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

is Netflix giving Narnia a wide, extended release in theaters? If so, I guess I'm slightly prone to agree with you. 

Was hoping she'd do the Nolan, Peele or whoever thing and do some huge budget OP. I'm sure she still will after Narnia though. But, seeing her do Narnia, Polley on Bambi and Barry Jenkins on Mufasa is pretty deflating for me... Makes me dread Bong or Peele or Ducournau or whoever doing the same. I hope they don't unless it's a super passion project thing or their own OP with a juicy budget.

There’s no details about it but i think they will, it’s a big brand and i suspect Apple TV will succeed with their theatrical small windows. Even Amazon did fine imo with Air. Netflix will probably try it as well, they already experiment a bit with Glass Onion.

Yeah i was more cynical about Polley and Jenkins but is mostly because i just can’t see Disney letting them work like WB despite all their shitty things can let directors express themselves.

But i’m kinda hopeful about Mufasa, i found the Lowery version of Peter Pan on D+ very good  and very him (which is probably why audiences seems to hate it even if it ended up being one of the best reviewed live action version on MetaCritic by actual critics).

19 minutes ago, Eric Stickell said:

It’s now old enough where the kids who watched it are old enough to have nostalgia for it, and vulgar auteurism is the hip new thing. Of course it has a rehabilitation.

Yeah I'm gonna file Mars Attacks under 'it was released before I was 14 therefore it's good actually'.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I don't see Mickey 17 coming remotely close to any of those. Bong doesn't have a big enough audience for that. There's definitely a ceiling to his stuff. I'm referring to DOM. Maybe it's a big deal OS though?

it's not like Cuaron was Spielberg before Gravity 🙂. After Parasite he has became definitely one of these cult film bros big names. Parasite was so loved by the average gp person, it's coming for 1M votes on imdb, a platform is really US trained. Parasite has became one of these classics everyone saw and loved, 

• Like 1

I don’t know if Mickey 17 will be commercially successful 

But you know what i think it can thrive? Dracula by Chloe Zhao being a futuristic western and apparently with Robert Pattinson in talks to lead. 

I know Eternals was divisive but i think is much of a case of a messy marriage between being something so formulaic for MCU and Disney while also trying to transcend that and kinda failing at both but becoming interesting because of that. 

Without Disney on her neck i think she can deliver a big movie, i see many glimpses of brilliancy in her approach to scale buried in Eternals. And Pattinson doing a vampire again will do the trick commercially on social media.

Edited by ThomasNicole

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

it's not like Cuaron was Spielberg before Gravity 🙂. After Parasite he has became definitely one of these cult film bros big names. Parasite was so loved by the average gp person, it's coming for 1M votes on imdb, a platform is really US trained. Parasite has became one of these classics everyone saw and loved, 

Cuaron had done a Potter though (the best one) and Gravity is heavy, heavy theatrical experience. That was a must in IMAX when it came out. Maybe Mickey is like that? Who knows? I also have some skepticism because as Bong fan since I watched Memories of Murder (I vividly remember that Netflix DVD rental coming in the mail haha) because The Host trailer looked cool to me, his non Korean stuff is easily his worst for me (Snowpiercer/Okja). Still very good but not nearly as memorable as his other stuff. So I expect Mickey to be very good but maybe not great.

The idea that studios are going to stop make superhero films is frankly dumb. They've been shown to be big moneymaker since Superman was released in 1978. 

A lot of directors do these big tentpoles so they can do smaller projects later on for less money. Spielberg got Universal to greenlit Schindler's list in exchange for doing Jurassic Park. 

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

There’s no details about it but i think they will, it’s a big brand and i suspect Apple TV will succeed with their theatrical small windows. Even Amazon did fine imo with Air. Netflix will probably try it as well, they already experiment a bit with Glass Onion.

Yeah i was more cynical about Polley and Jenkins but is mostly because i just can’t see Disney letting them work like WB despite all their shitty things can let directors express themselves.

But i’m kinda hopeful about Mufasa, i found the Lowery version of Peter Pan on D+ very good  and very him (which is probably why audiences seems to hate it even if it ended up being one of the best reviewed live action version on MetaCritic by actual critics).

I don't trust Netflix to give anything a long, wide release. Apple, Amazon, etc. have already done this even before AIR and Flower Moon. Netflix, other than their silly, annoyingly short experiment with Glass Onion, has not. That Irishman release was a complete joke years ago. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don’t know if Mickey 17 will be commercially successful 

But you know what i think it can thrive? Dracula by Chloe Zhao being a futuristic western and apparently with Robert Pattinson in talks to lead. 

I know Eternals was divisive but i think is much of a case of a messy marriage between being something so formulaic for MCU and Disney while also trying to transcend that and kinda failing at both but becoming interesting because of that. 

Without Disney on her neck i think she can deliver a big movie, i see many glimpses of brilliancy in her approach to scale buried in Eternals. And Pattinson doing a vampire again will do the trick commercially on social media.

in general as you said what i like about barbenheimer week is too see artists with a vision doing big movies. 2 on a week.

One of the problems of last decade in hollywood is the industry became too brands centered to the point brands were more importants than people making movies.

Now basically we have also brands on brands but at least let's hope we can have interesting artists making them. 

You have the brothers russo making biggest movies of all time after biggest movies of all time, then out of that what you make with thwm?.

40 movies and what name in the directorial field marvel has launched? Only Waititi maybe. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Cuaron had done a Potter though (the best one) and Gravity is heavy, heavy theatrical experience. That was a must in IMAX when it came out. Maybe Mickey is like that? Who knows? I also have some skepticism because as Bong fan since I watched Memories of Murder (I vividly remember that Netflix DVD rental coming in the mail haha) because The Host trailer looked cool to me, his non Korean stuff is easily his worst for me (Snowpiercer/Okja). Still very good but not nearly as memorable as his other stuff. So I expect Mickey to be very good but maybe not great.

yeah but no one cared about who was making an HP movies and it was already the  third chapter of the saga, an easy success.

I think Parasite already made Bong a bigger name than Cuaron after HP.

I agree with you  asians directors making american movies usually it's not that good of a thing...but imo Parasite was already a really really hollywoodian movie after all.

Edited by vale9001