grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

17 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

Now I digress. Wanted to say from my own experience as part of one minority that in some cultures and circumstances it brings you privileges and advantages nowadays with having to meet lower standards than the majority, and personally, I don't want that and that's why I sometimes or even often hide being gay, especially in most parts of the US and Europe.

Sorry but that being LGBT bring you advantages nowdays is total BS. It does NOT. Maybe other qualities give you advantages but not that.

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well i´m happy you feel this way. 

It seems ... very unique. Personally i think we´re just tolerated more now and intolerance sometimes should be answered with violence depending of the situation. 

But about the directors, i´m pretty sure non of them feel this way. I think the only women that actually have a very solid career doing action is Bigelow, she was very disruptive and important. 

Gina Prince-Bythewood gave a wonderful speech last year about how important Bigelow persistence on this industry was revolutionary and it´s the reason we have more woman helming big movies now, but it´s still a fight. 

Oh, sorry, I conflated a bit two things there. My comment about the minorities was a general meaning that it's not that black and white always, even though I'm sure that the scale is generally on the negative side and depending on the minority and situation, by a lot.

As a woman director and producer, or part of minorities, I'm sure it has been an uphill battle for a long and just lately the scales have some cases tipped the other direction like what for good or bad, Kathleen Kennedy has done in LucasFilms or that former Sony head who hired GB2016 director (forgot names). But I think Hollywood has always been pretty gay, even if it has been a known secret.

• Like 1

I do agree don't think there is any problem with her transitioning to populist director, Spielberg and Nolan among many others have done it and been successful so the discourse around this a tad bit hyperbolic.

Buts let's face it too populist blockbuster film making has vastly changed today from 2012 and beyond we have gotten CGI fests,factory filmaking , rehashes,remakes,nostalgia,rabid fanbases,studio meddling and cooperatism etc....  and if one is not stable ,they can lose their distinctive touch .

Spielberg was populist but  one of the best of the best, he created and spawned  distinct franchises and not many directors can do that in  todays climate.

We live in Hollywood which is worshipping you and the next second throwing you under the bus especially female directors.

Look at what happened to Jenkins.

Greta should choose what she wants to direct but also choose should wisely what best suits her directing sensibilities and strengths  too.

Just look at Zhao used to doing low key character study movies and oh boy she was given eternals with 10 characters to juggle and we'll the rest is history...

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Sorry but that being LGBT bring you advantages nowdays is total BS. It does NOT. Maybe other qualities give you advantages but not that.

Well, here I speak from personal experience, regarding being gay. It varies on circumstances and cultures but there are definitely more and more places and communities where being gay is cool and definitely a plus as such and not a minus.

It's funny because this whole discourse about Greta Gerwig actually plays a bit into the themes of the movie.

Really enjoyed it I definitely can see how it plays in a similar sandbox to Lego Movie but more upfront and adult about it. This movie ain't being subtle and I dug that.

• Like 1

Even in the reviews i have noticed you read "the movie exist to push the Sales of Barbie products" way more than you read for every Batman movie they make every 2 year for well..not let comics Sales and Batman Dolls and toys sales to going down. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Anyway seems every movie lover here is liking it. Right now the really main reaction seems a movie appreciated by the casual movie spectator and really loved by Its (large) core audience. Seems good. 

Edited by vale9001

Just saw the 9am screening (Asia area), 20% full, half of them are mother bring their daughter, the kids seems interested in the first half, but cooled down a lot in the second part, jokes not landed well.

Only two man (seems 30+) there, and one literatly left in the halfway

Ryan Gossling steal the show, I love the message and enjoyed it, have moments that wanna cry but didn't have time to let the emotion sink in because things develop too fast

Edited by cupnoodle
  • Like 2

Who wants to bet that when "Barbie hates men!/Barbie is anti-men!" ragetubers see the movie there will be quite a few backtracks. It's funny that they always rush to draw wrong conclusions by interpreting marketing in the wrong way. Rinse repeat. 

Just now, Valonqar said:

Who wants to bet that when "Barbie hates men!/Barbie is anti-men!" ragetubers see the movie there will be quite a few backtracks. It's funny that they always rush to draw wrong conclusions by interpreting marketing in the wrong way. Rinse repeat. 

Seeing Kens character arc on film will be black panther for men. 

9 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Well, here I speak from personal experience, regarding being gay. It varies on circumstances and cultures but there are definitely more and more places and communities where being gay is cool and definitely a plus as such and not a minus.

Being Gay is not cool and a plus at the end of the day deep down they think you are a freak that puts your pee pee on crap. Tolateration is fragil, in conservative spaces and a lot of liberals is seen as something not natural, but that people use the what they want mantra, that is fragile and the time some lgbt person do something wrong is blamed on the entire community. Is a real problem gay people like you that can be double agents and believe on it. Pride should be more like an holocaust remmembering time, not celebration because the society is not there yet. Even super liberal ones like USA and Europe, people tell you one thing but annonymous on the internet is another, most of the world still homophobic, specially the contries that have people, more people and birthrates. Not dying birthrates western civilization. The future of LGBT seems not good, Look at the muslim countries, why you think so many Muslim LGBT refugees. People on the LGBT have to fight but they wanna vogue instead.

Edited by Day and Date The Best

7 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Even in the reviews i have noticed you read "the movie exist to push the Sales of Barbie products" way more than you read for every Batman movie they make every 2 year for well..not let comics Sales and Batman Dolls and toys sales to going down. 

Marvel Studios and DC Studios main reason to exist is to keep making their related merch and tie ins insanely popular, yes. It’s the same for Barbie sure but it’s hilarious this has been brought up to Barbie out of all films. Where these idiots were when Super Mario Bros was released? What they think that a Super Mario Bros film is about? LMAO.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

What's the point to put Little Mermaid on the title since probably will be the biggest opener since Doctor strange 2?

Maybe because they are the only two box office successful female driven movies released this summer? TLM only broke even but budget aside it was a hit overall at the box office. Even though Barbie will make more we will have two female starring films pass $500 million at the box office.

13 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

What's the point to put Little Mermaid on the title since probably will be the biggest opener since Doctor strange 2?

Barbie is perceived as female movie and as such comparable to another female movie not to movies (which is wrong but even super liberal media makes this mistake every time). That's what Gerwig talked about when she said she wanted to be known as a film-maker not as a female film-maker.  There's no such thing as male director only director. No one puts prefix male before directors who are men but they do before directors who are women. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Barbie is perceived as female movie and as such comparable to another female movie not to movies (which is wrong but even super liberal media makes this mistake eevry time). That's what Gerwig talked about when she said she wanted to be known as a film-maker not as a female film-maker.  

Media seems a little bit obsessed with TLM performance. 

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Media seems a little bit obsessed with TLM performance. 

It's a stupid comparison anyway you slice it. It makes sense to compare TLM to Aladdin cause they are live acton remakes so part of the same brand/genre. It makes no sense to compare Barbie to it just because the lead is female. 

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They will and then will backtrack to say it isn’t woke because of the two white leads.

• Like 1