CJohn

Weekend Estimates New Years Eve - 13.7M; Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 0.3M (PTA 75,184 in 4 theaters)

Really I guess I was more into the action cartoons of the day. Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, etc. I could never get into stuff like Alvin, the Smurfs (though I did kind of like the Snorks), Pound Puppies. Of course every kid should be watching the old Looney Tunes cartoons. One cartoon contains more wit and humor than all three Alvin movies combined.

Who's to say they'll regret it? Because you yourself do?

I know I don't regret loving anything I did when I was a kid, no matter how bad it seems to me now. Why? Because it gave me pleasure and happiness. It made me laugh. Has zero effect whatsoever on the kind of films that I like today.

Why is that? Because I don't base my adult opinions on something I loved when I was in grade school. Because I realize that the mind of a child is different than that of an adult. I loved Mac and Me when I was 7-years-old. My nearly 31-year-old self thinks it's horrible and is complete crap. But I don't for one second regret the fact that I watched that movie repeatedly back in the late 80's. Because it doesn't make any difference to me that I loved something back then that I don't now. I was SEVEN.

If I should have only done or liked things when I was that age if it was also something that I was still going to love 20 years later, then I wouldn't have been a very happy little kid.

I'd also like to see parents try to explain that to their kids when they see a commercial for this and want to see it: "No, Timmy, you can't see the Chipmunks. You won't love watching it when you're 35 so I can't let you see it now. It's for your own good, son." That'd go over well.

You two are putting way too much emphasis on YOUR late teen/adult/whatever opinions. YOU think it's annoying (for the record so do I) or YOU think it has zero wit. Obviously the kids (for whom the films are made) don't agree. And they aren't stupid or lacking in taste for it.

• Like 1

It's just there's so many other more desirable options out there right now that I can't imagine why parents would rather put themselves through the torture of this movie when The Muppets and Arthur Christmas are just a couple theaters down.If this were the only thing available for kids I wouldn't be as frustrated. But the last month or so has been loaded with better kids films and none of them are going to earn as much as either of the two previous Chipmunks movies did.

Edited by tribefan695

But again, that's what's desirable to you. Parents are going to put themselves through whatever film their kids want to see as long as it's age appropriate. Especially if they know their kids really liked one or both of the previous films.If you take them to see something you know for a fact they'll love, there's more of a chance they'll pay attention and behave the whole time.

I figure that's the reason behind the Chipmunks' success, but it certainly doesn't make me feel any better that those other two movies are getting shafted in its favor. What is the point of making any nonsequel kids film, then?

Edited by tribefan695

Don't get me wrong, I certainly wish AC and Muppets were getting more love as I thought both were wonderful. And I would certainly try my best to get my kids to want to see one of those instead.I just don't like when people say that kids are stupid for liking stuff like Alvin. Because that's not fair.

I just wish they weren't liking it on a blockbuster scale. All the crappy stuff I liked as a kid wasn't doing $200 million box office. Or at the very least it didn't spawn a sequel that also did $200 million.

Edited by tribefan695

Who's to say they'll regret it? Because you yourself do?

I know I don't regret loving anything I did when I was a kid, no matter how bad it seems to me now. Why? Because it gave me pleasure and happiness. It made me laugh. Has zero effect whatsoever on the kind of films that I like today.

Why is that? Because I don't base my adult opinions on something I loved when I was in grade school. Because I realize that the mind of a child is different than that of an adult. I loved Mac and Me when I was 7-years-old. My nearly 31-year-old self thinks it's horrible and is complete crap. But I don't for one second regret the fact that I watched that movie repeatedly back in the late 80's. Because it doesn't make any difference to me that I loved something back then that I don't now. I was SEVEN.

If I should have only done or liked things when I was that age if it was also something that I was still going to love 20 years later, then I wouldn't have been a very happy little kid.

I'd also like to see parents try to explain that to their kids when they see a commercial for this and want to see it: "No, Timmy, you can't see the Chipmunks. You won't love watching it when you're 35 so I can't let you see it now. It's for your own good, son." That'd go over well.

You two are putting way too much emphasis on YOUR late teen/adult/whatever opinions. YOU think it's annoying (for the record so do I) or YOU think it has zero wit. Obviously the kids (for whom the films are made) don't agree. And they aren't stupid or lacking in taste for it.

Excellent post!

Everdeen you're right kids aren't stupid for loving Alvin. It's more the parents who encourage it.

How do you know parent's encourage it? Alvin obviously is appealing to a segment of the population. There is no wrong or right here.There certainly is no blame.