CJohn

Weekend Estimates New Years Eve - 13.7M; Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 0.3M (PTA 75,184 in 4 theaters)

NEW YEAR'S EVE popped into the top spot with $13.7 mil this weekend--the party's over.

Jonah Hill's "The Sitter" got low-balled, grossing just $10 million in its second-place debut.

Focus Feature's TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY tracked down $300,737 from 4 venues--a fantastic per-theatre-average of $75,184.

With all films in release grossing just $75 million, this weekend was the lowest on record for the entire year. #boxofficebust

YOUNG ADULT was quite the page-turner as Diablo Cody's latest scored $320,000 from 10 sites--$40,000 per.

Edited by CJohn

TTSS is just another in a long list of films that have these amazing per theater averages when they are in 4 or 5 theaters. And we all get bat-shit crazy about the numbers. Then when they go wide they open to 11 or 12 mill and finish with 45-50 mill. This, imo, will be just one more example.

Excellent for Tinker Taylor. In terms of PTA averages that blows everything since last year's The Fighter out of the water. Hopefully Focus knows what its doing in terms of its expansions. I don't think this weekend's awfulness can be understated. Unadjusted for inflation, this is the worst second weekend of December in 13+ years.

TTSS is just another in a long list of films that have these amazing per theater averages when they are in 4 or 5 theaters. And we all get bat-shit crazy about the numbers. Then when they go wide they open to 11 or 12 mill and finish with 45-50 mill. This, imo, will be just one more example.

50 million would be fantastic for TTSS.

50 mil would be beyond fantastic for TTSS I'm seeing a finish in 30's right now

The films coming out this holiday season have really produced a lot of ho hum buzz. Alvin will probably do well because the first two were loved by kids. But SH2, it just seems like a prime candidate to drop. I know it's just me but i really don't get the appeal of the first. I think this holiday season might really be soft.