CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

I would have agreed if the number was 35.02M, but 35.5 seems Puerto Rico more than fudging - will give Sony the benefit of the doubt on this.

* Note: The Amazing Spider-man 2's weekend gross fell $3 million short of Sony's Sunday estimate, which would have put the three day opening at $92.25 million. Though shy of $95 million, it would have still ranked first for a sequel to a reboot. However, Sony revised its grosses from Thursday upward, and that's what pushed the total past $95 million.Thursday went from $8.7 million to $11.85 million. Sony reported that the difference came from unreported showings from the movie's midnight openings on Thursday night, which went from the previously reported $8.7 million at around 400 theaters to $11.85 million at close to 4,300 theaters, as well as late reports from institutional IMAX locations and theaters in Puerto Rico and some Caribbean islands (which the studio counts in its domestic numbers), which accounted for $1.1 million of the difference.

Posted Image

:)

Edited by baumer
  • Like 10

I don't think it's an obvious case or anything, and it could be totally legit. But at the same time, Sony definitely wouldn't want the media reporting an opening weekend under $90 million--especially not under Skyfall and Spider-Man 2.

Just a little bit of controversy with no tangible evidence (other than some suspect deviation from Rth's source projections, which is kinda rare).

Some Gods make mistakes, you know.

Well, rather than get myself upset about the weekend box offfice numbers for TOW again - I guess I just need to accept that fact that some moviegoers are fans of really dumb comedies.  (Take Sandler's career, for example).  I just could not believe that women would be so interested in seeing a movie that stars 3 women, but does not pass the Bechdel Test and where the story revolves around a man.  I expect my own gender to be fans of terrible movies (Transformers, Bay, Sandler, Snyder, etc.), but I always figured that females had somewhat higher standards with their movie choices.  On the bright side, the U.S.A. / Canada have a combined population of about 350 million people, but TOW has only sold about 5 million tickets.  Thus, it makes me feel a little better to know that about 345 million of us have chosen NOT to see TOW.

Edited by Ando81

Well, rather than get myself upset about the weekend box offfice numbers for TOW again - I guess I just need to accept that fact that some moviegoers are fans of really dumb comedies.  (Take Sandler's career, for example).  I just could not believe that women would be so interested in seeing a movie that stars 3 women, but does not pass the Bechdel Test and where the story revolves around a man.  I expect my own gender to be fans of terrible movies (Transformers, Bay, Sandler, Snyder, etc.), but I always figured that females had somewhat higher standards with their movie choices.  On the bright side, the U.S.A. / Canada have a combined population of about 350 million people, but TOW has only sold about 5 million tickets.  Thus, it makes me feel a little better to know that about 345 million of us have chosen NOT to see TOW.

:(

• Like 1

I don't think it's an obvious case or anything, and it could be totally legit. But at the same time, Sony definitely wouldn't want the media reporting an opening weekend under $90 million--especially not under Skyfall and Spider-Man 2.Just a little bit of controversy with no tangible evidence (other than some suspect deviation from Rth's source projections, which is kinda rare).

To be fair, Rth's projections were early in the day.
  • Like 1

it was tracking below Cap2. Then the next tracking came out and they had it right on Cap2. So yes, 90-95 is about where it has been tracking for months.I personally don't buy into tracking. It's off just as much as it is accurate.

I've been told it can be really tricky. Thanks for the answer.
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

Right now, I'm leaning toward a $91-92m weekend. Maybe a bit lower with actuals, but I'm giving a bit of leeway for the Saturday matinees. Cap's $95m is definitely on the table, but I'd say it's more of a best case scenario at this point. Other than Thor 2, most comparison multipliers don't get to $95m off of a $35.5m Friday.

• Like 2

Posted Image

• Like 1

You should really calm down. TOW box office is really not that amazing.