CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

It will always have a place in my top 10 for that very reason, films will drop from 9 to 11 on my list. 10 will always be Supes(it's at 7 or 8 right now, I believe). But, the world turning thing will always keep it from being higher for me. 

Yeah, that's a silly plot point. I just have a lot of respect for it because it laid the foundation and gave a formula to everyone in the genre to follow. Wouldn't have SM1, BB, IM1, and so many others without it. Burton's Batman has a different style and structure and because of this departure it was also extremely influential on the genre, but even B89 would not exist if Superman: The Movie wasn't so successful for Warner Brothers.

• Like 3

It is way longer and goes deeper, adds a complete subplot. It's also edited in a different order and cuts out some lame stuff like the one night stand. 

Damn did that come out way later after DD my friend.. And wait dont tell me you want Webb and Andrew to come back for more with the SM2 reboot.. Say it aint so Acccursed buddyyyy nooooooo!!!!!!

I am all for Andrew coming back if its  TM and Rami universe Tie in... And our SM goes on to  big the big guy of the SM movies and Andrews becomes the Ultimate spider universe Spidey.

I like those ideas by fans. :)

Bringing back TM while hes still young enough to do the role and Raimi with cash is just what the mega Boxoffice doctor ordered to save this franchise.

Own it. Spidey has always been an uneven cat. I'm fine with it as long as they don't turn Gwen into a slut who got knocked up by Norman Osborn(that actually happened in the comic and not an alternate universe version either) and bring back Peter's clone and say he's the original Peter. 

So yeah, I guess Marvel lowered my expectations a tad. Seeing how they've raped my favorite character multiple times over the years, I'm not exactly excited that they get the film rights back. Sony's doing fine, IMO. Just don't go back to SM4(or do the above) and I'll love whatever they do.

Oof. I thought the members here had quit with this nonsense but I guess not.

• Like 7

Yeah, that's a silly plot point. I just have a lot of respect for it because it laid the foundation and gave a formula to everyone in the genre to follow. Wouldn't have SM1, BB, IM1, and so many others without it. Burton's Batman has a different style and structure and because of this departure it was also extremely influential on the genre, but even B89 would not exist if Superman: The Movie wasn't so successful for Warner Brothers.

Amen Red and Accurse it pisses me off when young posters ask why folks  put cheesy Reeves superman on such a pedestal..

They need to mind their manners and go watch the making of that epic movie docs to see the work that went into it..And perhaps watch Superman 1 over to see how from the intro to Marlon brandos breakthrough monologue.

There has never been quite anything like it.  I mean where would even soundtrack for the SH and action film genre be without Willams faboulous dreamed up score for Superman.

:)

I'm old too. Watched that movie a lot as a kid, haha.

Incase you didnt know my friend the great actor Frank langella was Skeletor! LOL.

hah hah he was perry white in Superman Returns.. :D

Edited by Superman001
  • Like 1

It is way longer and goes deeper, adds a complete subplot. It's also edited in a different order and cuts out some lame stuff like the one night stand. 

See this is why its awesome to have buds in forums.. all these years and Im just finding out they got a better version of DD..

And I loved DD despites it flaws. Great movie that took some risks. And it was succesful too. :)

• Founder / Operator

Superman: The Movie remains the most important superhero movie ever made and by far the most influential.

I can agree with that. I just wish I could call it one of my personal favorites. I pretty much look at that movie the way people who claim to not like The Beatles still respect their importance in music history.

Never could get into superhero movies before X-Men and Spider-Man.

• Like 3

I'm way more of a Superman II guy. Terrence Stamp for the win. Not that Hackman is a slouch either. That scene where he just strolls into the white house and does the sleazy business man routine on Zod might be my favorite in any superman movie.

• Like 4

• Founder / Operator

Oh goodie. Lists.

Bah. I told myself I'd only log on for a few minutes. Ah, well...

1. Spider-Man

2. Spider-Man 2 (It's very close, though.)

3. TASM2

4. TASM1

5. Spider-Man 3

6. Probably every spin-off movie they plan to make between now and 2018...if that still happens, which it probably won't (not entirely).

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 4

Guys Incredibles was excellent but..lul. It's more animation then superhero IMHO.

What does that even mean?

Much like Galaxy Quest is a better Star Trek film than most Star Trek films, Incredibles is a better Fantastic Four film than the Fantastic Four films.

I remember walking out of The Incredibles and saying to a friend, "Man, I feel bad for the people making Fantastic Four right now."

• Like 1

1. Spider-Man

3. TASM2

4. TASM1

5. Spider-Man 3

6. Probably every spin-off movie they plan to make between now and 2018...if that still happens, which it probably won't (not entirely).

Seeing news on the web they cancelled sinister six or rumoured to have cancelled it. When you spend so much on a tentpole and your looking to end up in th black with your top dog franchise at the BO.. I agree spin offs dont look likely indeed Shawn.

Wow you liked TASM2 over SM3 Shawn :'(  ... Oh no dont say that......

(Sneaks into Shawns room and steals his SM merit badge lol) GRRR  :P

• Like 1

I'm way more of a Superman II guy. Terrence Stamp for the win. Not that Hackman is a slouch either. That scene where he just strolls into the white house and does the sleazy business man routine on Zod might be my favorite in any superman movie.

I just rewatched Superman II and I used to love it more than the first, but as I've gotten older, the silly stuff just annoys me. Like the entire final battle in the fortress of solitude save for the molecule chamber twist is just not Superman. The amnesia kiss and that knock the film down a few pegs for me. Still excellent, just not as great as I once thought. The first film is just classic and as red said, set the groundwork for every film that came after. Much like Superman the comic did back in '38.

Fuck lists (no offense).

Superman is the king of them all. Has the joy, wonder and awe one has when thinking of a superhero. No other filmmaker has driven this genre to such a believable reality nor actor made you think such a character could exist.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 2

1. Spider-Man

3. TASM2

4. TASM1

5. Spider-Man 3

I'm assuming that's just a Spidey list...in that case:

1. SM2 A+

2. SM1 A

3. TASM A-

4. TASM2 A-/B+(need to see it again)

5. SM3 B-(Always on the border of a C+)

• Like 1

Fuck lists (no offense).

Superman is the king of them all. Has the joy, wonder and awe one has when thinking of a superhero.

All pre-2000 superhero movies are far too cheesy for me.  Except for Blade, which kicks all kinds of ass.

• Like 1

Top 5 superhero musical themes:

1. Superman by John Williams

2. Spider-Man by Hans Zimmer

3. Thor by Patrick Doyle

4. Superman by Hans Zimmer

5. Captain America by Alan Silvestri

(I'd probably slot The Avengers in at #6. The music is the best thing about the film.)

(Just the themes, mind. I'd rank the scores differently.)

Edited by DamienRoc