12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A wonderful piece of both sci fi and Japanese cinematic history.

I received the Criterion collection of this movie for Christmas.  It must have been the first time in a long time since I have seen it because I forgot how good the story actually is.  I was probably just used to the Godzilla vs. whoever growing up so that was my reference.

But yeah this actually is emotional and really has a moral crisis in killing off Godzilla.

Yes, the effects look dated in comparison for today but really that is not a big deal and should be expected.

The Americanized version isn't that bad either.

A-

• Like 3

Never seen it?

Nope. I've wanted to for a long ass time.

My dad's told me all about the franchise or whatever, and gah.

He was the main reason I'm a huge fan of the King.

He used to play the older film when I was a kid, and we got super excited for the Emmerich one.

I loved the movie then. Now, I enjoy the film, but the film is definitely flawed. I had a piggy bank from the movie though. Instead of a pig, Godzilla was breaking the Empire State Building and a few more. My dad gave that away though. Never gonna accept his apology.

But yeah, I've been really wanting to see the movie.

• Like 3

The Japanese version is superior. The American version has the narrator explains everything to us dumb Americans which kinda ruins the mood. 

Some of the models and stuff are outdated, but it still holds up because of the black and white screen makes it more atmospheric. A few of the actors don't even try. 

A-

Godzilla. An icon born in the aftermath of nuclear horror. The monster brings forth dread wherever he goes, which is true more so than usual in the original classic. Serving as a haunting parable on the dangers of nuclear war and developing new weapons, the film finds a silent terror and tragedy in the monster's first awakening. So many scientific advances could come from it, but instead only death and destruction arrive, both to Japan and the monster itself. The script is sharp and the film is perfectly paced. Godzilla himself is a spectacular effect, at points even still convincing today. Godzilla is a truly epic film, a tragedy of mythic proportions and one that still resonates with great power today.

• Like 1