Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Films

Midnight Special | Mar. 18, 2016 | Jeff Nichols | Michael Shannon, Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst, Adam Driver

Michael Shannon and Joel Edgerton are actually starring in this one, they both signed on as far as last summer.

I actually thought we'd see it this year or in early 2015, but if the Thanksgiving date means they're giving Nichols all the time he needs, it's fine by me. I wonder about the scope though. For some reason I assumed this would be a smaller sci-fi action like Looper, and not a blockbuster. But who knows.

Saw this description from a few months ago.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/details-jeff-nichols-midnight-special-shed-light-plot/

Details on the sci-fi thriller have been scarce, but today we have the first plot synopsis, and you can check it out for yourself below.

Midnight Special is a supernatural sci-fi thriller from acclaimed writer/director Jeff Nichols (Mud, Take Shelter). It stars Oscar nominee Michael Shannon (Boardwalk Empire, Man of Steel) as Roy, a father desperate to protect his uniquely gifted, eight-year-old son Alton, played by newcomer Jaeden Lieberher.

Joined by Joel Edgerton (The Great Gatsby, Animal Kingdom) and Kirsten Dunst (Spider-Man, Melancholia), this group must race to get Alton to a secret location all while being hunted by an extreme religious sect led by Sam Shepard (Mud, August: Osage County) and a government task force headed up by Adam Driver (Girls). It is a full-on chase, the outcome of which could bring about a world-changing event.

The director has also revealed that he’s hoping to give the film a tone similar to genre movies and have it take place almost entirely at night, which kind of makes sense given the title.

wikipedia also has the following quote:

Nichols has described Midnight Special as a "sci-fi chase film". He stated, "However absurd that sounds, it’s more grounded than Mud. I really wanted to make a 1980s John Carpenter film like Starman. I love the way those films look."

I've never got the impression this is a small release; it seems like a Looper/District 9 level sci-fi.

Given the competition, it would be wise to hold off on a wide release until January-ish so they could have the full attention of both the Oscar voters and the genre fans.