Olive

Weekend Numbers (May 9-11) Neighbors 51.1 ASM2 37.2

Universal is having a banner year, and with no potential mega-budget disasters on tap to put a damper on things like last year. The Lone Survivor nationwide expansion, Ride Along, Endless Love actually managed to top $20 million domestically and any money lost there was already recouped, Non-Stop and now Neighbors.

Universal looks like they are going to get a lot of strong hits this year, but no blockbuster potential.  2015 looks like it could be a banner blockbuster year for them.

So, what are we thinking ASM2 will gross total domestically?I expect big drops against Godzilla and X Men. Imagine if Neighbors ends up grossing more than Spidey...that could mean Spidey ends up being the fourth best selling film of May...

No way Neighbors grosses more than Spider-man. Yall are going a bit crazy and i think are a bit biased. Million Ways to Die will cut of its legs and then 22JS will completely kill it.  Im predicting about 140-150m and thats really reaching for me. 

Edited by babz06

A Million Ways is also from Universal. I have a feeling they are dumping it. The movie only got done as a thank you present for Seth MacFarlane, in order to keep him happy to make Ted 2.

• Like 1

Judging from the trailers, A Million Ways is going to be one of those comedies that's very hit and miss. Watching them, it goes back and forth between looking like a brilliant satire and looking juvenile and like it's trying way too hard. 

I can't be the only one who did his voice in my head saying that line. :lol:

Great # for Neighbors ... never would have guessed near 20 million opening day . :)

Posted Image

• Like 2

A Million Ways is also from Universal. I have a feeling they are dumping it. The movie only got done as a thank you present for Seth MacFarlane, in order to keep him happy to make Ted 2.

Universal doesn't (intentionally) dump anything, even 47 Ronin got a decent round of TV sports.

Universal's marketing efforts are going to switch to AMWTDITW very quickly here now that Neighbors is out and did so well.

• Like 1

Judging from the trailers, A Million Ways is going to be one of those comedies that's very hit and miss. Watching them, it goes back and forth between looking like a brilliant satire and looking juvenile and like it's trying way too hard.

In other words, like any MacFarlane production? :)
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

If they really wanted to dump Million Ways, they could have opened in the spring when there were no comedies in the market.

But, still, putting it between 22JS and their own Neighbors doesn't speak to much confidence either.

• Like 1

I can't wait until A Million Ways opens here. It is going to the biggest comedy of the Summer by far. It only needs to sell half of the tickets of Ted and I think the hype is big enough to guarantee at least 2/3. Yeah, we are a strange place. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Universal looks like they are going to get a lot of strong hits this year, but no blockbuster potential.  2015 looks like it could be a banner blockbuster year for them.

I take it you mean major, big budget blockbuster? Because Neighbors and RA are both blockbusters.

• Like 1