A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Those Marvels social media reactions really coming through for them. Thanks @mcuislovemcuislife, doing Iger’s work

Theatrical doesn't matter for Disney stock price for the most part, in fact they had a hefty loss in theatrical this quarter and it didn't really get a mention.

The improvement at streaming as well as parks, licensing and merchandise continuing to grow are the big things that are driving the stock price up even with the weak advertising market for broadcast and cable. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

They're really flogging Elemental on this earnings call. "Half a billion and the most viewed on Disney plus"

Even I admit Elemental’s performance seems impressive when you consider where they’re at now. Though that pretty much says it all about how they’ve fallen (in film at least). 

5 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Theatrical doesn't matter for Disney stock price for the most part, in fact they had a hefty loss in theatrical this quarter and it didn't really get a mention.

The improvement at streaming as well as parks, licensing and merchandise continuing to grow are the big things that are driving the stock price up even with the weak advertising market for broadcast and cable. 

I think because this is a box office forum many people here don't understand this. Disney's performance in the theatrical space is small potatoes compared to some of its other businesses.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

They're really flogging Elemental on this earnings call. "Half a billion and the most viewed on Disney plus"

Talk about a comeback story!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Iger said he'd be more involved with the movie side for quality control purposes (he didn't use that exact phrase but...that's what it basically was). My guess is the belts finally gonna get tightened.

Not surprising at all, it has been hinted at before that the budgets will be tightened for movies, and they've already said shows for Disney+ will be done differently.

It's as @Porthossaid, these changes have probably already been decided/made a while back but the effects are slow to come in such a juggernaut of a business.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

The audio on these things is always dogshit so it was hard to tell if he meant fewer releases or just spending less money on releases 

Was talking about how they increased production right after COVID, they already have lowered streaming release cadence so I took what he said to mean lowering volume although could see budgets come down some as well. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Iger said he'd be more involved with the movie side for quality control purposes (he didn't use that exact phrase but...that's what it basically was). My guess is the belts finally gonna get tightened.

4 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Cutting back on theatrical output by the sounds of things. Not shocking. Hopefully improves quality of things.

Counterpoint:

Iger getting "more involved" with the movie side of things is how we got TROS released in Dec 2019 instead of letting it bake in the oven longer.

(will a particular subset of SW fans ever let this go)

((i.e. me?))

(((I dunno. Fans are still fighting over Ewoks, so you tell me...)))

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Not surprising at all, it has been hinted at before that the budgets will be tightened for movies, and they've already said shows for Disney+ will be done differently.

Echo certainly looks much cheaper than the other Disney+ shows. It's not trying as hard to try to look like the movies, which is good because it makes it feel more like the Netflix Marvel shows.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Counterpoint:

Iger getting "more involved" with the movie side of things is how we got TROS released in Dec 2019 instead of letting it bake in the oven longer.

(will a particular subset of SW fans ever let this go)

((i.e. me?))

(((I dunno. Fans are still fighting over Ewoks, so you tell me...)))

Counter-counterpoint: This seems like they will be limiting releases and they have been happy to delay movies, seemingly for quality purposes (Avatar, Snow White, Elio, Avengers 4+5) hopefully something like that won't happen again. If anything I feel this news mean it is more likely something like TROS would hav been pushed back if released now both from hearing and seeing what has taken place in the last few months. 

• Like 1

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Ehh I don't think releasing too soon was the issue. it's really the story.

That's.... the point.  Not to get dragged too far off topic, but as I understand it, various folks on the LFL side wanted more time to polish/work on/let the damn film bake in the oven before actually putting it to cameras.  Iger himself admitted that rushing TROS was a mistake.

Mostly though I'm being True To Being A Star Wars Fan By Casually Bitching About Ancient Grievances. 😛 

As is my inborn right as a SW fan. j1aUlyv.gif

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Potiki said:

Counter-counterpoint: This seems like they will be limiting releases and they have been happy to delay movies, seemingly for quality purposes (Avatar, Snow White, Elio, Avengers 4+5) hopefully something like that won't happen again. If anything I feel this news mean it is more likely something like TROS would hav been pushed back if released now both from hearing and seeing what has taken place in the last few months. 

To quote an Ancient Meme:  I refer the honorable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago. 😉 

• Like 1