A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn acknowledges that the industry's hard summer has led to "introspection and postpartum discussion." But he says his company won't make policy changes despite a potential $190 million loss imposed by Gore Verbinski's $250 million Lone Ranger.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/summer-box-office-bombs-studios-619389

Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn acknowledges that the industry's hard summer has led to "introspection and postpartum discussion." But he says his company won't make policy changes despite a potential $190 million loss imposed by Gore Verbinski's $250 million Lone Ranger.http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/summer-box-office-bombs-studios-619389

Sounds like the CFO has other thoughts

Referencing the weak box-office response to The Lone Ranger, Rasulo said: "We've also learned that there needs to be a cap on tentpole, non-franchise movies. We need to cap those at a level that allows us to experience good economics and doesn't quite put as much at risk. So, going forward, you're really going to see a cap on the spending on those movies."Rasulo said a typical year in the future would feature one Star Wars film, two Marvel films, one Disney Animation movie and two from Pixar, perhaps 1-3 other tentpole films and and "some other films that would be Disney live-action branded but not be of a tentpole nature."

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-cfo-reflects-lone-ranger-62830

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-jerry-bruckheimer-split-2014-632553

Disney and producer Jerry Bruckheimer are breaking up.

Bout time! 

Is it that surprising, after so many flops outside of Pirates, it made no sense for Disney to renew his deal. They'll likely still work together on Pirates and the odd film. Wonder if Bruckheimer will go to another studio like Paramount or just go solo?

Edited by Jonwo

Is it that surprising, after so many flops outside of Pirates, it made so sense for Disney to renew his deal. They'll likely still work together on Pirates and the odd film. Wonder if Bruckheimer will go to another studio like Paramount or just go solo?

Not at all.

Personally I think he should either retire or do smaller films. He'll be 70 in a couple of days, and he’s clearly out of touch with today’s moviegoers. 

I have nothing personal against the man BTW. 

Edited by Boxofficefanatic
  • Like 1

Not at all.

Personally I think he should either retire or do smaller films. He'll be 70 in a couple of days, and he’s clearly out of touch with today’s moviegoers. 

I have nothing personal against the man BTW. 

He looks good for 70, I can't imagine him doing smaller films, he's not Scott Rudin or Harvey Weinstein, he's made his career making films for the masses and I expect he'll continue to do so until he retires, I imagine he won't be getting $200m budget at another studio though.

• Like 1

He looks good for 70, I can't imagine him doing smaller films, he's not Scott Rudin or Harvey Weinstein, he's made his career making films for the masses and I expect he'll continue to do so until he retires, I imagine he won't be getting $200m budget at another studio though.

Well he needs to learn how to better spend his budgets then.

I understand why the Lone Ranger would cost a lot (period pieces are expensive), but did he really expect to make a profit on a 250 million dollar western, a genre that is almost exclusively a U.S. thing. 

Well he needs to learn how to better spend his budgets then.

I understand why the Lone Ranger would cost a lot (period pieces are expensive), but did he really expect to make a profit on a 250 million dollar western, a genre that is almost exclusively a U.S. thing. 

Lone Ranger shouldn't have been greenlit with a $200m+ budget, even Disney trying to reduce it and it still went overbudget. I think it should have been $150m maximum. Given the success of comedies, horror and animated films that cost less than $100m, I do think overspending in Hollywood needs to be curbed.

Lone Ranger shouldn't have been greenlit with a $200m+ budget, even Disney trying to reduce it and it still went overbudget. I think it should have been $150m maximum. Given the success of comedies, horror and animated films that cost less than $100m, I do think overspending in Hollywood needs to be curbed.

Amen to that. 

Of course that's the reason why most blockbusters these days aren't shot in Hollywood anymore (although even then, the films tend to go overbudget, WWZ for example).