A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

I don’t usually like to do this or when I do I sometimes disguise it more as a guess (albeit an informed one) so take this with a major grain of salt especially as I have only been having a chat deeply with one person but looks like:

• Theatrical windows will largely be in 60-75 day range
  • Disney+ will continue to have smaller original movie titles mainly in the Drama/Biopic, Sports and younger skewing children/family films and Hulu will have original Drama/Comedy (using 20th Century and Searchlight)
  • Disney is hopeful for a good cadence of longer form TV from WDAS and Pixar, starting this year with Tiana and Win or Lose, will help fill gaps between movie releases for that audience (thus allowing them to go back to longer theatrical windows without too many complaints)
  • More funding for ABC (Sports, News, Unscripted and Scripted), Disney Channels, Nat Geo, FX and Searchlight with an emphasis on dual revenue streams (Broadcast, Cable and Theatrical respectively then Streaming) although there will still be certain titles that are streaming only
  • ESPN will be largely the same but more shared coverage between ABC and ESPN+

The first 3 points I’m more confident in as I know people at WDAS, Pixar*, Lucas* and DLA who pretty much have been hinting at such changes.

A lot of this seems to be to speed up profitability/lessen losses in the next 12-18months for streaming (some of this has already been in place, starting to take shape for a while) but I imagine the theatrical window will stay similar even when streaming does become profitable next year. 

*Also been hearing very, very got things about Win or Lose and some early praise for Indy 5.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Potiki said:

I don’t usually like to do this or when I do I sometimes disguise it more as a guess (albeit an informed one) so take this with a major grain of salt especially as I have only been having a chat deeply with one person but looks like:

• Disney+ will continue to have smaller original movie titles mainly in the Drama/Biopic, Sports and younger skewing children/family films and Hulu will have original Drama/Comedy (using 20th Century and Searchlight)
  • Disney is hopeful for a good cadence of longer form TV from WDAS and Pixar, starting this year with Tiana and Win or Lose, will help fill gaps between movie releases for that audience (thus allowing them to go back to longer theatrical windows without too many complaints)
  • More funding for ABC (Sports, News, Unscripted and Scripted), Disney Channels, Nat Geo, FX and Searchlight with an emphasis on dual revenue streams (Broadcast, Cable and Theatrical respectively then Streaming) although there will still be certain titles that are streaming only

The first 3 points I’m more confident in as I know people at WDAS, Pixar*, Lucas* and DLA who pretty much have been hinting at such changes.

A lot of this seems to be to speed up profitability/lessen losses in the next 12-18months for streaming (some of this has already been in place, starting to take shape for a while) but I imagine the theatrical window will stay similar even when streaming does become profitable next year. 

*Also been hearing very, very got things about Win or Lose and some early praise for Indy 5.

r/PotikiLeaks starts when exactly??? j1aUlyv.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

r/PotikiLeaks starts when exactly??? j1aUlyv.gif

Not going to make a habit of it so would be a very boring area of the internet lol. 

I imagine some of this will be alluded to during Disney's earning call tomorrow although I doubt it will be as specific. Probably something along the lines of "we plan to make use of our legacy revenue streams to fuel streaming growth" before going a little deeper into some small changes/strategic shifts. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Not going to make a habit of it so would be a very boring area of the internet lol. 

I imagine some of this will be alluded to during Disney's earning call tomorrow although I doubt it will be as specific. Probably something along the lines of "we plan to make use of our legacy revenue streams to fuel streaming growth" before going a little deeper into some small changes/strategic shifts. 

I promise you*, all you have to do is tell me when I can get my Mandalorian Steelbook Blu-Rays and I'll never bother you again for another leak. 👍  Even by PM would suffice!  😉

* This is a downright dirty lie, for the record**.

** But I'm sure you knew that. 😛

Edited by Porthos
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I promise you*, all you have to do is tell me when I can get my Mandalorian Steelbook Blu-Rays and I'll never bother you again for another leak. 👍  Even by PM would suffice!  😉

* This is a downright dirty lie, for the record**.

** But I'm sure you knew that. 😛

If I do ever hear anything about that (or any of the other Star Wars series coming to physical) I will PM you :) However I feel like others would leak that before I even knew about it, so you would likely know before me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Potiki said:

If I do ever hear anything about that (or any of the other Star Wars series coming to physical) I will PM you :) However I feel like others would leak that before I even knew about it, so you would likely know before me. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI6r108_RSpYCDaTmo-1W

(Seriously tho.  "Beskar Steel"book.   Free Money!!! Just sitting there!!!!)

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Potiki said:

Indy 5 is premiering at Cannes so that’s a good sign. Iger would never allow that if he thought the movie was bad. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

Indy 5 is premiering at Cannes so that’s a good sign. Iger would never allow that if he thought the movie was bad. 

Not that Solo was "bad" (it wasn't IMO), but this really doesn't say as much as people sometimes make it out to be.

(Eternals [if at a different festival] was under Chapek's watch — but near as I can tell Disney really thought they had a winner on their hands and were surprised at the reception)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Not that Solo was "bad" (it wasn't IMO), but this really doesn't say as much as people sometimes make it out to be.

(Eternals [if at a different festival] was under Chapek's watch — but near as I can tell Disney really thought they had a winner on their hands and were surprised at the reception)

Solo was good! You’re right about Eternals being a surprise, Feige thought he had an Oscar contender on his hands.

Edited by Serpico Jones
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

Solo was good! You’re right about Eternals being a surprise, Feige thought he had an Oscar contender on his hands.

(I actually like Solo a lot better than many for the record — but I would, wouldn't I?)

I suppose I was more saying that just coz execs think they have a good/great film on their hands doesn't actually mean they do (and the reverse is true as well).  Plus, just being my generally cautious self. :)

• Like 1

Now three new segments:

Disney Entertainment 

ESPN

Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. 

edit used to be 

Studio

Media Networks

DTC 

Parks and Experiences 

Studio, Media Networks and DTC have been merged to one unit while ESPN has their own segment now. 

Also 7,000 job cuts :( 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2