A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

Just now, John Marston said:

Finding Nemo 3 will happen. Incredibles 3 I think they probably want to make but Brad Bird has left Pixar I think so it might be tough 

they'll get incredibles 3 when bird comes crawling back after his next flop. hit him with the

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

So people were cheering Bob Iger’s  return and his strategies are layoffs and more sequels which is probably what Chapek would have done. Lol

Rome wasn't (re)built in a day.

(not that Disney needs being rebuilt, but I've used the "takes time to turn a massive ship around" analogy before when talking about megacorps and I wanted to mix it up a little this time)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Rome wasn't (re)built in a day.

(not that Disney needs being rebuilt, but I've used the "takes time to turn a massive ship around" analogy before when talking about megacorps and I wanted to mix it up a little this time)

Implying that Disney wasn't always a sequel and IP mining machine?

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

The third Nemo will inevitably be called ‘Finding Theaters’

The marketing containing full instructions to their audience on where to find the movie and how to pay to watch it. 

Confused The Weeknd GIF

Dude, we get it.

• Like 2

Hate that this is what it's come to but honestly given the past year for both studios I can't entirely fault it. Pixar at least has been holding to its promise of producing more original material in addition to its sequels and I just hope that holds. Zootopia 2 I admit I would be kinda hyped for though

• Like 3

Some weird nonsensical comments in here knocking Disney for making movies that will drive people to the theaters. 

Imagine being a supporter of movie theaters while theyre going though existential crisis and mocking the biggest audience driving movie company for making popular, audience driving movies. 

sorry they don’t want to make movies that make $346 at the box office on a 20 million dollar budget. 

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Magic Eric said:

There's going to be like 10 Toy Story sequels by the time I'm like 65. They'll probably use Tom Hanks and Tim Allen's voices through AI mumbo-jumbo shit. I don't think I can handle it my dudes.

The first one came out when i was 10.  I'll be in my 40s when the new one comes out.:kitschjob:

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Implying that Disney wasn't always a sequel and IP mining machine?

I mean, I'm not really implying anything about that.  Animation lead time being what it is, these three films have probably been in some stage of development for a while. I'm just taking to task the idea that Iger is "doing nothing different from Chapek" as there simply hasn't been too much time since Iger came back.

Besides, a great deal of the CEO's job is to sell to the public (and investors) what a company is doing.  And that's an area that Chapek was woefully inadequate at (as my many many posts during his reign said).  

Implementing strategic vision and what not?  That's another large part of it, sure.  But not exactly gonna see much on that less than three months in.  Anything that got announced today has probably been in the works for a while.   Though, admittedly, what gets prioritized and what didn't is a call Iger would make.

Another part of a CEOs job is managing relationships with various actors [and I don't just mean actors in the Hollywood sense but in the more colloquial one].  Which is another area where Chapek was... deficient. 

So even if Iger is just and now I directly quote "probably [doing] what Chapek would have done"*, it's HOW he does it which matters.

* (and even there, the jury is very much out, at least IMO)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Some weird nonsensical comments in here knocking Disney for making movies that will drive people to the theaters. 

Imagine being a supporter of movie theaters while theyre going though existential crisis and mocking the biggest audience driving movie company for making popular, audience driving movies. 

sorry they don’t want to make movies that make $346 at the box office on a 20 million dollar budget. 

Being popular does not absolve you of criticism or complaints. Pretty sure making fun of Toy Story 5 won't cause movie theaters to die forever.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I don’t think anyone is trying to deny the logic in making these sequels from a financial perspective. It’s just funny that Bob Iger’s master plan to save Walt Disney Animation and Pixar is to make more sequels. I suppose Zootopia 2 at least has some potential (although I’m not getting my hopes up), but making a Toy Story 5 and Frozen 3 is such a painfully cynical corporate move. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t think anyone is trying to deny the logic in making these sequels from a financial perspective. It’s just funny that Bob Iger’s master plan to save Walt Disney Animation and Pixar is to make more sequels. I suppose Zootopia 2 at least has some potential (although I’m not getting my hopes up), but making a Toy Story 5 and Frozen 3 is such a painfully cynical corporate move. 

What is the other option? Spend 200 million and lose more money? The only other successful animation outfit is doing this level of franchise films to even more extremes. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

What is the other option? Spend 200 million and lose more money? The only other successful animation outfit is doing this level of franchise films to even more extremes. 

They could at least choose sequels that would seem slightly less desperate, like Moana 2 or Encanto 2. Frozen and Toy Story feel so played out now. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1