A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

Just now, Porthos said:

If you took a shot every time you read "Marvel declined to comment" about something in that article, you'd die of alcohol poisoning. 

Anyway, I read the entire article and I really do suggest people read it as it's far more fucked up than even the headline suggests.  And perhaps more nuanced than one might suspect.

Some takeaways:

1] The article points out (more in passing than in depth) that the entire VFX landscape is fucked up when it comes to pay and working hours, but...

2] Marvel seems to be really bad even in that context.

I think I personally would have liked a bit more of a focus on the inherent challenges of unionization of VFX workers, with a noting of just how hostile/foreign the idea of unionization within tech circles is even [or perhaps especially] among actual workers in tech/computer based industries.  There just is a sheer level of resistance to the idea of unions among tech bros and gals that I don't think gets commented on enough when it comes to these stories. 

I think it's partially historical resistance to unionization among white-collar industries (including for class based reasons), but quite frankly the libertarian-based outlook/worldview/culture of many within tech circles was just a bad fit for unions.

That it's getting any sort of traction among VFX workers at all shows just how fucked up it all is.  Mind, because of libertarian-ish based culture of tech and the diffuse nature of the workforce, I think the folks who are trying to organize VFX union(s) for Hollywood productions still have their work cut out for them. But if it's ever gonna happen, this is exactly the sort of conditions where it could happen.  

Here's hoping it does happen.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Hades said:

Scapegoat Chapek will get the blame...Feige, Alonso and the rest are all innocent and truly care for the VFX workers..:redcapes:

Tell me you didn't read the article without actually telling me you didn't read the article. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

DISNEY 2023

02/17 AATW: QUANTUMANIA

04/07 CHEVALIER (Searchlight)

05/05 GOTG III

05/26 THE LITTLE MERMAID

06/02 THE BOOGEYMAN (Fox)

06/16 ELEMENTAL

06/30 IJ: THE DIAL OF DESTINY

07/28 THE MARVELS

08/11 HAUNTED MANSION

09/15 A HAUNTING IN VENICE (Fox)

09/22 NEXT GOAL WINS (Searchlight)

10/06 TRUE LOVE (Fox)

11/22 WISH

12/01 UNTITLED DISNEY

I wonder what the untitled one for December 1st is. That's a dead date. So it must be a potential awards contender?

Edited by kayumanggi

DISNEY 2024

02.14 UNTITLED DISNEY

03.01 ELIO

03.22 SNOW WHITE

05.03 CA: NEW WORLD ORDER

05.24 KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

06.14 INSIDE OUT II

07.05 MUFASA: THE LION KING

07.26 THUNDERBOLTS

08.16 UNTITLED DISNEY

09.06 BLADE