A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

Just now, JWR said:

Big year for them. Hopefully with better marketing

I don’t blame the marketing. I absolutely love Wakanda Forever. But it’s a downer of a film, it end on one of the most epic high notes in the universe that shut up collectively all the idiots demanding for a recast of T’Challa and yet, it is having the path that I feel like it was bound to make given the circumstances. I’d argue that Wakanda Forever is performing accordingly, Multiverse of Madness over performed and the anomaly is Thor: Love and Thunder. I still don’t see why that film didn’t went gangbusters. My second favorite MCU film this year.  

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t blame the marketing. I absolutely love Wakanda Forever. But it’s a downer of a film, it end on one of the most epic high notes in the universe that shut up collectively all the idiots demanding for a recast of T’Challa and yet, it is having the path that I feel like it was bound to make given the circumstances. I’d argue that Wakanda Forever is performing accordingly, Multiverse of Madness over performed and the anomaly is Thor: Love and Thunder. I still don’t see why that film didn’t went gangbusters. My second favorite MCU film this year.  

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, The Little Mermaid, and Indy 5 mostly market themselves. It's Elemental and Wish that are going to need the biggest push. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Just my opinion but I don't think Love and Thunder was an anomaly. A lot of audiences hated that movie. I really, really hope Marvel is done with Taika. What a doofus he turned the god of thunder into.

Just now, Verrows said:

Just my opinion but I don't think Love and Thunder was an anomaly. A lot of audiences hated that movie. I really, really hope Marvel is done with Taika. What a doofus he turned the god of thunder into.

What I mean by ‘anomaly’ is exactly that. The film underperformed because people didn’t like it. I loved it though.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

What I mean by ‘anomaly’ is exactly that. The film underperformed because people didn’t like it. I loved it though.

Ohhhh. I thought you meant anomaly as in it should have performed better. Fair enough. Glad you liked it. How many more appearances in the MCU do you see for Thor?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Ohhhh. I thought you meant anomaly as in it should have performed better. Fair enough. Glad you liked it. How many more appearances in the MCU do you see for Thor?

I don’t see Hemsworth leaving, unless something truly comes to pass with his health. I imagine he is in for the long haul. Next we should be seeing him is on Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars.

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t see Hemsworth leaving, unless something truly comes to pass with his health. I imagine he is in for the long haul. Next we should be seeing him is on Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars.

Yeah that seems about right. Give the Thor franchise a breather and bring in Thor 5 in the next saga.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

I hope one of those Untitled Marvels is BP 3.

Can't wait to see how they approach releasing Avatar consistently. I don't think there's a chance of over saturation with another 3 movies in 6 years.

I think if BP3 is going to happen it will be after secret wars

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2022/12/box-office-2022-marketshare-disney-universal-marvel-1235208981/

DISNEY

2022 domestic box office $1.93 billion (26% market share) across Disney, 20th Century Studios and Searchlight theatrical releases, +65% over 2021: 20th Century Studios and Searchlight did $600M for the year, Disney alone made $1.3 billion. Six No. 1 debuts in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness ($187.4M), Thor: Love & Thunder ($144.1M), Black Panther: Wakanda Forever ($181.3M), Avatar: The Way of Water ($134.1M), Death on the Nile ($12.9M) and Barbarian ($10M).

What they did: Disney continues to be envied around town, and still dominate because of Marvel. Even if audiences were hard on Doctor Strange 2 and Thor: Love and Thunder (B+ CinemaScores), Disney counts four Marvel movies (including Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and their co-share with Sony on the carryover of last year’s Spider-Man: No Way Home) in the top 10. 20th Century Studios, outside of Avatar 2, remains a stepchild brand split between sending some franchise films such as the Predator prequel Prey to Hulu and yielding such co-production bombs as New Regency’s Amsterdam. (In all fairness, Disney did what it could on the latter absurdist period comedy, moving the film up in an empty fall calendar and grabbing Imax screens.) The studio also sent potential moneymaking franchise movies straight to Disney+, i.e. Hocus Pocus 2 and Disenchanted, leaving some cash on the table. More importantly, it brought Bob Iger back, restoring creative executives’ confidence and shattering the Bob Chapek-created Media and Entertainment Distribution Division structure, putting “more decision-making back in the hands of our creative teams and rationalizes costs,” as Iger put it.

What they need to do: The studios needs to improve its animated theatrical releases in the wake of John Lasseter’s departure; read Lightyear was the lowest Toy Story movie ever ($118.3M), and Strange World ($36.3M) imploded. Animated pics are the staples of getting each generation to buy into Disney, from theme parks to merchandise. How does it continue to do that and not lose its moviegoing audience entirely to Disney+? While many in town already feel that Iger is course-correcting the conglom in the wake of Chapek’s day-and-date craze, the studio needs to officially let everyone know that it’s not sending lucrative franchise titles straight to streaming.

2023 outlook: Actions speak more than words. It appears the studio is attempting to turn the corner and keep its big live-action titles based on animated movies (The Little Mermaid, May 26), and theme park rides (i.e. Haunted Mansion, August 11) on the big screen. Expect more of the same gross-wise with three Marvel movies: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (February 17), Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 (May 5) and The Marvels (July 28). The studios doesn’t have a year-end Christmas release, but it has a huge July 4th event title in Lucasfilm’s Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

• Like 1