A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

5 hours ago, JWR said:

I'm most curious to see what big moves happen next...

Not in terms of sacking but probably trying to get Peter Rice and Zenia Mucha. 

If Zenia comes back that probably means Kristina Schake will be gone, she is a fairly new hire who only joined in April:

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/kristina-schake-named-executive-vice-president-global-communications-of-the-walt-disney-company/

Peter Rice could fit anywhere in TV or Film given his history I could see him becoming a co head on the film side along with Alan Bergman (pretty much replacing Alan Horn who retired and now has an advisor role at WBD) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Not in terms of sacking but probably trying to get Peter Rice and Zenia Mucha. 

If Zenia comes back that probably means Kristina Schake will be gone, she is a fairly new hire who only joined in April:

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/kristina-schake-named-executive-vice-president-global-communications-of-the-walt-disney-company/

Peter Rice could fit anywhere in TV or Film given his history I could see him becoming a co head on the film side along with Alan Bergman (pretty much replacing Alan Horn who retired and now has an advisor role at WBD) 

So probably more of a "getting the band back together" type deal 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shachi86 said:

Star Wars X

I don’t think very many people are clamoring for something like that. We know they’re going to try and make more Star Wars films, but an Episode X comes across as pointless. The “Skywalker Saga” is over. 

Edited by WittyUsername

12 minutes ago, shachi86 said:

The saga is over? Now, where have I heard that before?

They might as well mean it in this case. Luke, Han and Leia are dead, Carrie Fisher is dead IRL, the surviving cast members from the OT aren’t getting any younger, and even if they managed to get the ST cast to agree to return (which seems like a big if in the case of someone like John Boyega), would people really be chomping at the bits to see that? They’re better off doing other stories in the Star Wars universe, rather than trying to continue the story of the Skywalker family and the Empire. 

In other news, I just saw a Wrap article that claims Bob Iger may intend to sell Disney to Apple. If something like that were to happen, then antitrust laws really are a joke. 

8 hours ago, JWR said:

Dang, they planned this thing out like it was a mafia hit.

This tweet is not a credible source lol. That being said the execution was incredibly clean. Arnold formally offered Iger the position late in the week, he accepted before the weekend was done, Chapek was deposed on a Sunday night, his chief lieutenant in the company gone the next day…all with basically unilateral adulation of fans and major players within the company. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t think very many people are clamoring for something like that. We know they’re going to try and make more Star Wars films, but an Episode X comes across as pointless. The “Skywalker Saga” is over. 

I agree, they need to move on.

It says something that the two best things Disney has done with SW  are stories where Skywalker is barley mentioned" "The Mandalorian" and "Andor".

Wnd the sucess of these two shows a darker, more nuanced view of the SW universe can work; it does not have to simplistic good guys vs bad guys. I think this was what "Rogue One" was aiming for until the director got chopped off at the knees.

And if they do make SW X, come up with a new big bad; the Empire is old, old old as far as villian goes.

9 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

This tweet is not a credible source lol. That being said the execution was incredibly clean. Arnold formally offered Iger the position late in the week, he accepted before the weekend was done, Chapek was deposed on a Sunday night, his chief lieutenant in the company gone the next day…all with basically unilateral adulation of fans and major players within the company. 

Maybe resigning his contract was just the classic move give you target a false sense of confidence before you pull the trigger; think Michael Corleone being Godfather to Carlo Rizzi's son on the same  day he is going to have Rizzi whacked.

1 minute ago, Eric Clade said:

There a reason why Disney wants to sell? I thought buying Fox was so they wouldn’t get bought out.

They very likely don't want to and thus won't sell.

There has also been rumours going around they will buy Netflix, WBD (LOL) some gaming companies (possibly the most likely) but if any of these were on the trajectory of happening it would be in very very early stages considering Iger has only been CEO for 2-3 days and is very busy changing some things and having meeting with the top people in the company ... I highly doubt he is had time to propose either a sale or an acquisition. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Potiki said:

They very likely don't want to and thus won't sell.

There has also been rumours going around they will buy Netflix, WBD (LOL) some gaming companies (possibly the most likely) but if any of these were on the trajectory of happening it would be in very very early stages considering Iger has only been CEO for 2-3 days and is very busy changing some things and having meeting with the top people in the company ... I highly doubt he is had time to propose either a sale or an acquisition. 

I don't know if Iger even has the time to plan on buying anything.

6 minutes ago, JWR said:

I don't know if Iger even has the time to plan on buying anything.

Something small or well run and doesn’t overlap with Disney too much, such as a video game developer, could be done without issue . Something bigger he would likely have to extend his contract ( which I personally think will happen anyway, the contract extension not necessarily the big deal) as part of that deal, similar to what happened with 20th Century/the launch of Disney+.

• Like 1