A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

On 11/22/2022 at 4:37 PM, Toruk Makto XXR said:

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Its gonna own so hard when 3 companies own the entire economy and our wealthy betters are Gods in the sky Tyrell style with the proletariat worshipping them on their phones far below in the overcrowded slums awash in disease and danger.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Its gonna own so hard when 3 companies own the entire economy and our wealthy betters are Gods in the sky Tyrell style with the proletariat worshipping them on their phones far below in the overcrowded slums awash in disease and danger.

How will this affect the quality and volume of MCU content?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

You laugh, but the Infinity Gauntlet is an analogy I've made before. See, those purchases Iger made? They weren't random. Each one gave Disney a stake in a part of the market they didn't before. 

Think about it. Pixar gave them the ability to make successful animated movies, at a time when their in-house animated movies were struggling with competition. Marvel and Lucasfilm gave them movies that appealed to the teenage male audience, which Disney historically had trouble attracting. And finally, Fox gave them a whole host of R-rated properties, allowing them to make movies aimed at adults for the first time since retiring the Touchstone Pictures label, as well as giving them access to every other Marvel character. 

Each of those purchases filled a distinct gap in Disney's output, and now there really aren't as many of those gaps left. They've collected all the Infinity Stones, as it were. It would be redundant for Disney to buy more than one of them. The video shows them with DC, but that makes no sense under Iger's strategy, because they already have Marvel. Sony Pictures doesn't make sense either, because they already have Fox, which is not only bigger than Sony Pictures but has many more lucrative franchises. Literally the only reason I can think of that they would try to buy Sony would be to get the Spider-Man rights, but it's much less expensive to just pay Sony the licensing fee. 

So if Disney makes another big purchase, chances are it'll be in an area that they haven't before. A video game company seems most likely, and I've seen some people suggest Electronic Arts, Take2, Epic Games, or even Sega. A toy company like Hasbro or Mattel is another possibility. 

Disney already owns Spider-Man in everything outside of the films anyway, and they receive a cut of the profits for the MCU Spider-Man movies, so buying out an entire studio certainly wouldn’t be worth the trouble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Play Cyberpunk 2077 and then be depressed that this is the future we are headed to if nothing changes.

Corporatocracy. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Disney already owns Spider-Man in everything outside of the films anyway, and they receive a cut of the profits for the MCU Spider-Man movies, so buying out an entire studio certainly wouldn’t be worth the trouble. 

IIRC due to the revenue split and accompanying merchandise Disney made more money from No Way Home than Sony did.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

IIRC due to the revenue split and accompanying merchandise Disney made more money from No Way Home than Sony did.

I wouldn’t be surprised. Spider-Man sells more merch than any other superhero. That just reinforces my point about how Disney doesn’t need the film rights to Spidey. They’re already making a pretty penny off the character as it is. 

5 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Play Cyberpunk 2077 and then be depressed that this is the future we are headed to if nothing changes.

Corporatocracy. 

Seems to be the government owning everything would be just as bad, if not worse.

I am NOT a anti capitalist.

• Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

If true, that is a major reason why he got the boot. Stockholder and the BOD do not like CEO's playing games like that. And he was stupid if he thought someone would not notice what he was  doing.

Bob Chapek put all his eggs in the Disney+ basket at the expense of everything else in the company.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:56 PM, Porthos said:

Also, dude, getting fired at an Elton John concert (or on your way there) where you're scheduled to introduce him is a hell of a way to go out! :lol: 

"Hey, Bob....oh, you're in the limo on the way? How about you stop by In and Out Burger for a bit -- I know the concert starts in 45 minutes, but the thing is...."

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Morieris said:

"Hey, Bob....oh, you're in the limo on the way? How about you stop by In and Out Burger for a bit -- I know the concert starts in 45 minutes, but the thing is...."

If this gets adapted into a movie or TV series, I expect the "The Bitch is Back" to be playing in the background. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

Not so much that, he tried to deceive stockholders.

Either way, it didn't work. And the fact that he tried to pretend that everything was okay with the stocks even that bad earnings call made things worse. 

New Gossip: Hulu Buyout a Year Early?

Bill: I don’t see Disney making any big acquisitions under Iger, Round 2, other than perhaps the rest of Hulu from Comcast on an accelerated timetable suggested by Dan Loeb, the activist hedge fund manager with about $1 billion in Disney.

https://puck.news/barbarians-at-the-disney-gates/

• Like 1