Punishment

Weekend Actuals 5/9-5/11 Neigh 49, TASM 35.5, TOW 9.6, HIFR 7.5

Good, inspired location shooting will always trump replacements (whether an anonymous city or greenscreen). Spidey is synonymous with New York, why take away one of the classic aspects about his identity?

Sure, but I'm not expecting inspired shooting from Marc Webb or whoever the next guy up happens to be

I'm not saying set the entire movie away from New York. But each of the Nolan Bat movies includes extended sequences away from Gotham, are they betraying a classic aspect of his identity?

True.  What's wrong with changing it up a bit with a Spider-Man chase through The Cloisters, the Bronz Zoo or the Brooklyn Botanical garden?

The Bronx or Brooklyn? UPTOWN? Spidey is Midtown only. (And one of the bridges if need be).

• Like 2

I haven't seen either of the reboots, but if people are bitching about the sameness of the location and visuals, I'm betting they shot in overly-familiar "New York" locations (Times Square, natch), giving little thought to the unique identities of so much of the city and outlying area.

You're on a box office forum and haven't seen them? That is...(drumroll please)...AMAZING.

oh we all have seen tasm2. 

sony showed it for free in the promos.

some of us did pay for an extra scene of two, mostly featuring sally field.

• Like 7

Sure, but I'm not expecting inspired shooting from Marc Webb or whoever the next guy up happens to be

I'm not saying set the entire movie away from New York. But each of the Nolan Bat movies includes extended sequences away from Gotham, are they betraying a classic aspect of his identity?

What kind of answer do you want? Angry SHH fanboy answer would say HELL YES they're betraying it. I've even run into people on there who gripe that the BB origin didn't go in depth enough on the training. lol

• Like 1

Again the rights issue rears its ugly head.  I don't think Sony can go 10 years without it reverting back to Disney.

I think the timetable is 5yrs.

They were stuck with the TASM timetable. They could've put more time between TASM & TASM2. Another year to get the script really tight and rethink your casting. 

And yet there was that strange sequence on an elevated train in Spider-Man 2.  :D

sm3 too had one. but it was subterranean. i can imagine the suits talking - "raimi, come here...let's have one of those train scenes again. folk seem to like it. but this time, let's go underground. get it? good? ask me if you don't understand, ok. i fazed ya, i fazed ya"

• Like 1

That's Sony's problem. Hire a replacement. Or, at the script level, set the story up so that it can unfold in more unique areas of New York.

They need both. A new director and new writers. 

Btw, completely off topic, but what the hell is Lady Sif doing in the Agents of SHIELD? I really can't enter the thread since it ends tomorrow in America and it is full of spoilers, but today it is passing that episode over here.

Edited by CJohn

Btw, completely off topic, but what the hell is Lady Sif doing in the Agents of SHIELD? I really can't enter the thread since it ends tomorrow in America and it is full of spoilers, but today it is passing that episode over here.

Nothing, except being totally out of place :P

Nothing, except being totally out of place :P

The whole episode has been very meh. It seems like a cheap way to bring Asgard into the show. 

• Like 2

I would say "what the hell is wrong with you people," but then I look at the box office and realize...oh, you're just in the majority of Americans shrugging their shoulders at this movie.

Unfortunately for Sony, apathy has set in for SM. As big a comic book fan as I'm, I've yet to see TASM2 and I don't plan on seeing it either. Things need to change or BO will continue to be in toilet. At this rate I'm not sure TASM3 will beat either Thor1/CA1 total. Looking at where SM was with Raimi, this is truly shocking that TASM2 probably won't even sell a 1/3 of SM1's tickets. Sony needs to change things for future. Slowing down the production by giving it time to breath rather than having a sequel out within 2 years would help tremendously and also, they need to just produce a good movie so SM brand can be rebuilt because status quo is going to lead to disaster.  

Edited by druv10
  • Like 5

The performance of Dorothy is really bad, even for lower tier animation. It could struggle to hit $10m total with that opening.

Which means that HTTYD2 is really going to be filling a void when it's released.

• Like 3

What kind of answer do you want? Angry SHH fanboy answer would say HELL YES they're betraying it. I've even run into people on there who gripe that the BB origin didn't go in depth enough on the training. lol

Spideys first battle with the Lizard,way back in Spiderman 6,took place entirely in Florida.(Peter is sent down there by J Jonah to gets photos of the rumored giant Lizard Creature).

Spidey's First Battle with The Green Goblin too place in New Mexico,of all places,in a huge cave complex.

Just a comment onhow SHH fanboys are often totally ignorant about the very charecters they claim to love so much.