128 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The problem is this movie really has no suspense. Besides the first act the characters are never in danger. While not a great movie Godzilla (98) has that helicpoet chase through the biulding scene, this was missinng somethign like that. 

This isnt Jurassic Park or Jaws, there was no chase scene, no scene where Aaron Johnson had to escape or run from true terror. There is no "Tree/flee Scene" No "Scar scene". Those movies are great because they aren't about monster they are about the characters.

Jurassic Park is about the Fatherly relationship of Alan and the kids, dreams to grand to achieve, having to leave them behind, its about the science, and about how Life will find a way!

Jaws is actually about Brody. Shit Star Trek (2009) is about Krik and Spock. 

This should have been about the HUMAN characters. 

• Like 1

The problem is this movie really has no suspense. Besides the first act the characters are never in danger. While not a great movie Godzilla (98) has that helicpoet chase through the biulding scene, this was missinng somethign like that. 

This isnt Jurassic Park or Jaws, there was no chase scene, no scene where Aaron Johnson had to escape or run from true terror. There is no "Tree/flee Scene" No "Scar scene". Those movies are great because they aren't about monster they are about the characters.

Jurassic Park is about the Fatherly relationship of Alan and the kids, dreams to grand to achieve, having to leave them behind, its about the science, and about how Life will find a way!

Jaws is actually about Brody. Shit Star Trek (2009) is about Krik and Spock. 

This should have been about the HUMAN characters. 

It already got bitching for too much focus on the humans. Plus did you forget the train tracks scene? That was full of suspense not to mention the whole final battle.

• Like 3

It already got bitching for too much focus on the humans. Plus did you forget the train tracks scene? That was full of suspense not to mention the whole final battle.

Train scene was the only one but the pacing is killed while they are in hawaii. This movie lacks classic action story telling like Aliens or Raiders. Where one problem is resolved but by resolving that problem you create another problem in the same scene. The ending of Aliens it just keeps going and going and you actually get more invested as the fight goes on. 

Also the reason people bitch about to much character stuff is because they restart the 1st act after Cranston dies and as stated the 2nd act drags. 

I never hear people complain about Jaws, Alien, or Jurassic Park. Even though we only get bare minutes of the actually "monster" and have to wait over an hour to see them.

I think the best action scene in Godzilla was the first one where the Plant get destroyed 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

The suspense wasn't really there. The movie had the chance to explore the difference in size and the fear a monster could induce even to a soldier, but apart from the bridge scene, it failed in doing that.

They had a good chance when they found the submarine, but they fucked it up by sending the monster into the city. A chase in the forest... could've been awesome.

• Like 1

Also the reason people bitch about to much character stuff is because they restart the 1st act after Cranston dies and as stated the 2nd act drags. 

I never hear people complain about Jaws, Alien, or Jurassic Park. Even though we only get bare minutes of the actually "monster" and have to wait over an hour to see them.

I think the best action scene in Godzilla was the first one where the Plant get destroyed 

The 2nd act's the weakest part of the film but it doesn't kill the film.

Not really, but those movies did it right. Godzilla did it wrong. That's what

Gee let's see who did those films. Oh yeah. A well-known filmmaker named Spielberg who had tons of experience when he did Raiders and JP, and had decent experience when he did JAWS. Totally unfair to Edwards and the film in general to compare it to that.

Gee let's see who did those films. Oh yeah. A well-known filmmaker named Spielberg who had tons of experience when he did Raiders and JP, and had decent experience when he did JAWS. Totally unfair to Edwards and the film in general to compare it to that.

It doesn't take a genius to make a good suspense scene. Heck, 1/2 of this forums members could make on better than the movie offered. I blame the script, not the director.

What if I told you good Drama is actually the definition of good action... 

Drama and action are two entirely different things. You can't tell me that the Pettycoat lane scene in JP was "great action".

It doesn't take a genius to make a good suspense scene. Heck, 1/2 of this forums members could make on better than the movie offered. I blame the script, not the director.

Sure they can because they're all talented film-makers right? Oh wait. They aren't.