128 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I really hope there is a sequel. Edwards' composed some fantastic frames in Godzilla. He needs a talented/experienced writer to assist him in fashioning a story and to breathe more life into the human drama. I actually think Watanabe can/should be effectively fleshed out and the sequel should revolve around he, Hawkins, Godzilla and whichever other monsters pop up. 

With an OW above/near $100M, Godzilla's DOM BO floor's likely $225M. With another $275M+ OS, that should be more than enough to get a mega budgeted sequel.

Godzilla will do way more than 225m

• Like 3

Not really. Raiders, JP, and JAWS are classics. An A movie just needs to be excellent not a classic.

AMen and I do think Godzilla 2014 will be deemed a classic by mosts.. :) Its just a little bit under Jurassic Park, but indeed got to give Edwards kudos. He had no 30 yrs of experience like Speilberg under his belt up to that legendary tour deforce debut in 1993

• Like 1

AMen and I do think Godzilla 2014 will be deemed a classic by mosts.. :) Its just a little bit under Jurassic Park, but indeed got to give Edwards kudos. He had no 30 yrs of experience like Speilberg under his belt up to that legendary tour deforce debut in 1993

Agreed Kal...remember to also check out this thread!!http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/11232-godzilla-2-destroy-all-monsters-type-of-sequel/#entry1414863

there was a moment there where i let myself imagine godzilla on some deserted pacific island chilling out drinking a mojito , reading a book when boom he picks up the signal and he's like aww hell no i was just getting to the good part of the story  now i have to go save those pesky humans ,what else was he doing lol

that end scene was like a l'oreal ad except with a roar , look at me roar as i swash back into the sea , because i'm worth it !

• Like 3

It's enjoyable albeit disappointing. Great visuals and directing but average script and acting. I love me human elements in my monster movies but can they please make an effort for me to care about the characters more. Pacific Rim has the same problems, but at least that movie has the salvation that is Idris Elba. B/B- for me. It could and should have been better.

You could say all you want about the characters in Pacific Rim. They worked for some and didn't for others. But, at the end of the day PR characters actually mattered to the story, they had arcs and growth. Godzilla's characters...not so much.
  • Like 5

You could say all you want about the characters in Pacific Rim. They worked for some and didn't for others. But, at the end of the day PR characters actually mattered to the story, they had arcs and growth. Godzilla's characters...not so much.

I agree to some degree. PR do have character growth and more compelling conflicts. In the case of PR for me though, it was mostly the bad acting of some that make me not interested in the characters. But like I said, Idris Elba is such a huge plus. And I'm a fan of Del Toro's style and heart in the movie, so I still enjoyed the movie a lot. Gave it an A-/B+.

I've got a strong feeling 2 years from now Baumer'll watch it on TV and love it. ((TDKR all over again.))

I've got a strong feeling 2 years from now 90% of you saying you love it now will watch it and be bored and wonder what the big deal ever was. Hell, you guys may start saying that on a second viewing.

• Like 4

I've got a strong feeling 2 years from now 90% of you saying you love it now will watch it and be bored and wonder what the big deal ever was. Hell, you guys may start saying that on a second viewing.

I've seen it twice already and I enjoyed it MORE the 2nd time. 

• Like 3

If that's the case...10%, let's stick together! :)
  • Like 3

I've seen it twice already and I enjoyed it MORE the 2nd time. 

Whatever. This is not a film time will be kind to though. It has nowhere near the characters, charm, or plot for that. Once the special effects look dated (and they will one day), it will be a total "who cares?" film for most (obviously there's always some exceptions).

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Whatever. This is not a film time will be kind to though. It has nowhere near the characters, charm, or plot for that. Once the special effects look dated (and they will one day), it will be a total "who cares?" film for most (obviously there's always some exceptions).

^_^

Pros: Best Monster/Creature flick since Jurassic Park.  It's better than Lost World, Cloverfield, Pacific Rim, and the 1998 version.  The scale of the Godzilla vs Motu fights is gigantic and they were awesome to behold.  I liked the story direction it took with Godzilla having company in the monster department and actually serving as the hero.  

I also thought the exposition and set-up (pretty much the first 1/3rd of the movie) was well conceived (nuke tests were really 'pest control', the parasites, feeding off radiation, etc.) Bryan Cranston was awesome.  He was the only likable human unfortunately.

Great soundtrack, Oscar worthy sound effects, and epic cinematography.  I was reminded of Jurassic Park a couple of times during some of the tense moments.  This movie came the closest to replicating Jurassic Park.  

Cons: Those darn smoke, fog, and rain effects crept up again to shroud the monsters.  We saw it in King Kong, and especially Godzilla (1998).  I know why but I can't wait until our SFX are up to par that you can see Godzilla on a crystal clear day and it look real.  Aaron Taylor Johnson is a horrible actor.  His reactions to his father dying lacked emotion and 30 minutes later it was if it had never happened.  Also, the wife and son added NOTHING to the story.  Several times I wondered if he remembered that he had a family.  They could have been taken out and it would have made no difference.

B

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 3

If that's the case...10%, let's stick together! :)

If that happens, I will be happy to be apart of the 10%.  :D

With that said, I think MovieMan89 will be wrong and that will not be the case at all. :)

• Like 2