128 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Posted Image

This scene made me feel some sympathy for the MUTOs. In a way they're just looking to hook up and have kids, instead some giant bastard is trying to ruin their day, and these tiny little ants too. 

The male one was like "yo girl, I brought you this fine nuke".

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 12

Amen I give GOdzilla a 91-95...Incredible cinematograph and epic build up keeping us teased and putting the audience in some intense scenes there.... The payoff is one of the greatest I can think of.. I Would have only want it to be longer :)

lol even your review scores get the Kal range treatment :lol:

High B+ for me. Loved the pacing and style and overall attitude of the movie, I thought it was pretty much perfect in that regard. It's let down a bit because of the flat characters (and actors, to some degree); that's what knocks it down a peg or two from being an all-time classic. I generally don't like ATJ at all, so actually I didn't think he was horrible (simply because my expectations were so low). But he doesn't stand out at all. Elizabeth Olsen is wasted... the movie would've been better and more interesting merely by switching her and ATJ (you'd get a heroine, which is more interesting for this sort of thing, and she's a better actor than him too.)

Overall, though, I was tremendously entertained. I wish more summer movies were like this.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 14

BKB - in the swimming scenes he was mostly submerged.  There might have been only a few good crystal clear shots of Godzilla.  I would love to see a Godzilla vs kaiju fight in broad daylight.  It doesn't matter which one, mothra, gamera, heck, bring back whatever Godzilla was fighting in this movie.  

I just don't think our VFX capabilites are there yet (maybe ILM could pull it off but they're expensive).

Edited by lilmac

I just came back from my second time watching this, and it's very safe to say that I liked it even more.The acting/script is still decent, but nothing special for me. But damn, even the second time around, all the monster scenes never fail at building suspense and tension. Plus, Godzilla's movements and emotions are just so perfect. I'm appreciating the general slow burn approach of the movie even more.The score/audio work are extremely well-done in this movie. Those high notes when Godzilla appears in Chinatown? Glorious.And the atomic breath...the buildup is just pure movie magic for me. Again.This movie completely succeeded on the technical and personal entertainment levels, and the only which keeps this from being flawless for me is the script/character work.Just a really, really, well-done popcorn flick. :)

• Like 8

The special effects and visuals were amazing but the movie was mediocre overall...not a bad movie but not worth the hype...most of the acting was bland specially ATJ was awful imo. For hiding the monster and building the suspense and thrill, I think Cloverfield did a much better job. 6.5/10

• Like 3

that scene was cheesy as heck but i was all awww :wub: yeah he's just a guy asking a girl to have his babies lol  :lol:

ok i'll go there ....

godzilla is way better than man of steel B)

Edited by Lady Daenerys SNOW-STARK

If anything this simply makes Pacific Rim look that much better to me.

The monster aspect of the film is definitely awesome.  The visuals are one thing, but the angles and style of the shots were simply damn cool.  Unfortunately, this is the only aspect of the film I enjoyed.

Whereas Pacific Rim embraced its sheer spectacle and over-the-top action, this film seemed almost embarrassed to embrace its origins.  There was what seemed like an endless successful of build-ups that only led to more build-ups.  The film basically acted like a giant tease.  Unfortunately, the humans here were all pretty bland and the story itself was pretty damn brutal.  Rather than let the monsters control the film (you'd think that would be a given) it seems an attempt to make a character and story-driven monster film was attempted.  To say the film failed in this aspect would be an understatement.

Simply put......in the end I'll remember this film more for the bad writing and story than the monsters.  That in effect is a pretty accurate representation of everything that went wrong here.
  • Like 6

High B+ for me. Loved the pacing and style and overall attitude of the movie, I thought it was pretty much perfect in that regard. It's let down a bit because of the flat characters (and actors, to some degree); that's what knocks it down a peg or two from being an all-time classic. I generally don't like ATJ at all, so actually I didn't think he was horrible (simply because my expectations were so low). But he doesn't stand out at all. Elizabeth Olsen is wasted... the movie would've been better and more interesting merely by switching her and ATJ (you'd get a heroine, which is more interesting for this sort of thing, and she's a better actor than him too.)

Overall, though, I was tremendously entertained. I wish more summer movies were like this.

Why write a review when Tele said just about everything I wanted to.

I rate it a bit higher... likely because I didn't expect much from the characters.  Better character development would have made it a classic.  

I'll see it again.

I can't wait for the bluray because I think some scenes that would have tied the characters stories together better were cut.

• Like 3

Posted Image

Gee, this works really well.

Didn't you put me on ignore kiddo?  I understand, my charm is irresistible. Posted Image

If anything this simply makes Pacific Rim look that much better to me.

The monster aspect of the film is definitely awesome.  The visuals are one thing, but the angles and style of the shots were simply damn cool.  Unfortunately, this is the only aspect of the film I enjoyed.

Whereas Pacific Rim embraced its sheer spectacle and over-the-top action, this film seemed almost embarrassed to embrace its origins.  There was what seemed like an endless successful of build-ups that only led to more build-ups.  The film basically acted like a giant tease.  Unfortunately, the humans here were all pretty bland and the story itself was pretty damn brutal.  Rather than let the monsters control the film (you'd think that would be a given) it seems an attempt to make a character and story-driven monster film was attempted.  To say the film failed in this aspect would be an understatement.

Simply put......in the end I'll remember this film more for the bad writing and story than the monsters.  That in effect is a pretty accurate representation of everything that went wrong here.

The last 20 minutes of Godzilla 2014 and the design of the MUTOs/Godzilla is much better than anything in Pacific Rim, but the rest of the movie fails(which makes it so frustrating).