128 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

What movie did u guys watch? Great and Godzilla dont belong in the same sentence. I hated this movie. Its a giant mess

LOL considering some are comparing this to JP I think you wont be in the majority Baume :P.

Now if you want a POS film... That is definitely SM2....And the results are obvious on whos going to do

insane business and which hero has taken a fall due to quality and the actor playing S Spidey.

Just from hearing what fans and non fans are  saying I Know this movie got shit mostly right. :)

Are you sure B aum your not upset because Cranston doesnt make it? :P

Also the great shot with Godzilla suddenly rising out of the ocean ended up as a 2-second black-and-white bit in the opening credits.

I didn't actually like that shot, so I'm fine with that.

• Like 2

My final grade for this would probably be 8/10.

Not perfect by a long shot, but a fun flick that builds and relies on anticipation and suspense, rather than all-out action, which is a rarity in Hollywood blockbusters these days. Some of the complaints I see here, like Godzilla not being the star of his own movie or Godzilla being a "good guy", didn't bother me at all. That being said, I do agree that the characters should have been better developed. Also, I think they should have picked one emotional core for the movie, and kept that the focal point; either the Cranston/Johnson father-and-son relationship, or the Johnson/Olsen relationship.

• Like 5

A fun flick that builds and relies on anticipation and suspense, rather than all-out action, which is a rarity in Hollywood blockbusters these days. 

That was my impression too. It added to the entire narrative and build-up of the movie. It was the edging that made you feel even more satisfied by the all out fight in the end. Plus it added to the human aspect of the movie. It's not just about monsters fighting, it's about humans witnessing and feeling helpless while monsters fight and destroy their cities as if they were playgrounds. Humans couldn't do anything at all, and the military futilely shooting their little guns at these gods demonstrates that even more.

Edited by BoxOfficeZ

Posted Image

To make a monster film work, you have to have compelling human characters.  If you don't, it won't work.  The amount of screen time for Godzilla might have been forgiven if the story was better and I cared for one of the characters.  The only two I cared about both died in the first 30 minutes.  

True.  Technically, any film with a threat, whether it be a monster flick, superhero film, psycho-killer slasher, alien sci-fi, Zombie-horror, etc. need to have a relate able human factor to get attached to, otherwise, we're left with Godzilla 98 (and pretty much any Emmerich film for that matter) all over again.

• Like 1

They knew where it was coming from, it was right there. But, I dont remember anyone referring to that as a cocoon, MUTO or other wise. It was just a giant thing emitting a pulse.

They knew it was the thing that was born from the remains of that giant worm in the Phillippines mines.

Edited by dashrendar44

I have to say I'm rather annoyed that people are crapping on Desplat's score. It's kind of fantastic. It's so bombastic, fun, precise and intelligent that the idea that it was written for a 2014 blockbuster is almost staggering. I can't think of a single blockbuster score in the last few years as good as it, I'd have to go back to 2010.

• Like 6

The admiral's plan was to lure all three monsters (Godzilla and the two MUTOs) to one spot where they'd nuke all of them at once, hence what the warhead was for. They didn't attack Godzilla while following him 'cause that would jinx the whole thing. When one of the MUTOs stole the warhead the plans changed and the military tried to stop Godzilla from entering San Francisco, then the flying MUTO appeared and took out their warships with EMP, so as a last resort they decided to listen to Watanabe's advice and let the monsters fight.

Okay, but I wasn't really convinced about all that warhead shenanigans. I was dazed by the military stuff at that point. (Straithairn's delivery and acting is a cure to imsomnia, I couldn't help wishing Sam Elliott was cast instead). The Muto attacked the military train to take that warhead one sequence before at night and US army just realized that the next day when Godzilla is at SF bay crossing the Golden Gate so they now want to stop him? :huh:

From doing what? Killing the Muto like the chosen One coming to restore balance to the Force on Earth aka something Watanabe already told them earlier...?

Edited by dashrendar44

Such a great, chilling shot. Was really looking forward to it in the film... and ugh.

Also the great shot with Godzilla suddenly rising out of the ocean ended up as a 2-second black-and-white bit in the opening credits.

The voice over of the general talking before the paratroopers jumped out of the plane was also missing.  I say false advertising and I want my money back :)  But I also have to say that it was a fantastic marketing campaign, I absolutely love the trailers/teasers - the movie, not so much.

Letdownzilla

Edited by Punishment
  • Like 2

The plan didn't change. They retrieved one warhead, put it on a boat to take offshore SF and manually set it to explode with a mechanical timer. I didn't get the impression they were trying to stop Godzilla at the Golden Gate. It's just that when he started to capsize those destroyers they panicked and started to fire. Then others on the bridge also started to fire.

• Like 1

The plan didn't change. They retrieved one warhead, put it on a boat to take offshore SF and manually set it to explode with a mechanical timer. I didn't get the impression they were trying to stop Godzilla at the Golden Gate. It's just that when he started to capsize those destroyers they panicked and started to fire. Then others on the bridge also started to fire.

Yeah so now I was not that sleepy, the plan didn't really "change" all that much because it wouldn't take the US military several hours from the time the Muto stole that warhead at night to the next day when Godzilla is finally reaching SF bay to "change the plan" (or they're really slow). I mean those destroyers accompanying him were not shooting him until that moment (Muto was in possession of the warhead for hours at that point):

Posted Image

They just snapped when Godzilla rises its tail out of the water.(Even though, he just swimmed several thousand miles from Hawaii alongside those US destroyers without attacking them and even took care to dive avoiding them at the surface...) Also, reading your message I'm just baffled to learn there were multiple warheads actually, I thought there was only one?!

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

The train had multiple warheads.You also have to factor in the necessity of having an encounter with Godzilla at the Golden Gate just because it will look good. Also, the bay isn't that deep so Godzilla wouldn't have fitted under the destroyers like he did further out at sea.

Edited by DeeCee

The only non-Godzilla monster I recall seeing was in the Oppenheimer trailer and it didn't even look like the MUTO's in the film itself. Everything else in the marketing was centered on Godzilla and specifically hid the MUTO's. They intercut Cranston's dialogue discussing the MUTO's with footage of Godzilla roaring to make it look like Cranston was talking about Godzilla. "It's gonna send us back to the Stone Age." Insert Godzilla footage. Turns out he was talking about the MUTO's, lol. False advertising for sure, especially for anyone who strongly prefers Godzilla as originally portrayed (a villain to mankind).

lol I thought the same thing when Cranston said that line...I'm like damn WB marketing is genius and will be the main reason it opens huge, but so many people are going to be pissed at the false advertising and being mislead. They hid the real story line and MUTO focal point and Godzilla is borderline a secondary character in his own movie.I did like it and give a solid B, but definitely shady marketing for sure. Edited by FTF
  • Like 5

I have no problem with "false advertising". We all know by now, hopefully, that's it's just something they do. I try not to pay attention to trailers but the Godzilla trailers really were something else. The film wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was close enough. The main disappointment for me was that Bryan Cranston wasn't the main character.

• Like 2

It really annoys me when trailers don't show the entire movie in precise detail. Clearly denoting every single plot point. TASM2 is a perfect example of how trailers should be.

• Like 8

It really annoys me when trailers don't show the entire movie in precise detail. Clearly denoting every single plot point. TASM2 is a perfect example of how trailers should be.

Come on now, you know what we're talking about and mean.
  • Like 3