CaptainJackSparrow

Godzilla Thurs: 9.3, other thurs #s also: Neighbors 3.5M, ASM2: 1.9M

How does it mean that? Cap 2 had even better marketing and more buzz and it did 95M with a 10.2M night previews.

PR ow was 10.25x midnights

Cap2 was 9.3x 

Godzilla, like Cap2, imo, will have a bigger midnight share, because it has successfully(more so than PR) attracted a huge portion of it's loyal fanbase Thu night.

All I can say about these numbers is that it seems the hype was definetely real among general audience and not "online fanboys wankery" like some tried to dismiss it in the related thread (*Cough* Dman7 and John Marston *cough*). Marketing was insanely good and there is the result.

My 63 years old dad who is not really a Kaiju fan actually asked me if it was worth checking out in theaters and if it was better than GINO. I was surprised he was aware about the movie since he told me he checked the trailer online.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 7

All I can say about these numbers is that it seems the hype was definetely real among general audience and not "online fanboys wankery" like some try to dismiss it. Marketing was insanely good and there is the result.

My 63 years old dad who is not really a Kaiju fan actually asked me if it was worth checking out in theaters and if it was better than GINO. I was surprised he was aware about the movie since he told me he checked the trailer online.

Yeah, to me it was fairly obvious the hype was real, not online generated. There was a big difference in the hype leading up to this and the online hype leading up to Pacific Rim for example.

• Like 4

Yeah, to me it was fairly obvious the hype was real, not online generated. There was a big difference in the hype leading up to this and the online hype leading up to Pacific Rim for example.

I honestly think the trailer had a big part in the hype. The tone of the trailer was dark and the 2001 music really made the film seem very serious and mysterious, a thousand miles away from Godzilla 98.

• Like 2

He fucked up one of my most anticipated movies of the year. Same thing. ;)

lol well I'm sorry you feel that way man. Hopefully there is a film this summer that can make you forget.

I mean I mostly don't agree with your opinion about the film, but it still sucks a lot to be let down by something so.

• Like 1

My thoughts were it was just okay. 

I mean I admit I am biased because I grew up watching mecha and kaiju films/shows, so my excitement stemming from that added a lot of fondness for the film. But still, I just wish it did better lol

I will admit to having a bit of schadenfreude when that movie didn't do as well as some thought

i didn't care of PR but thought it would do great. It's 37m/101m was certainly surprising. the trailer did have a lot of cheesy exposition though and warning signs where there.

The characters in Pacific Rim reminded me of Godzilla 98, the same laughing and jokey attitiude, the same over the top annoying attitude. Oh and that annoying JJ Abrams lookalike and that weird scientist dude, talk about steriotypical characters!.

• Like 2

The characters in Pacific Rim reminded me of Godzilla 98, the same laughing and jokey attitiude, the same over the top annoying attitude. Oh and that annoying JJ Abrams lookalike and that weird scientist dude, talk about steriotypical characters!.

Huh, I thought the overall attitude was quite different. The universe was taken very seriously in PR, it wasn't in G98. The humor came from the characters in PR, it was forced in G98; etc.

• Like 4