CaptainJackSparrow

Godzilla Thurs: 9.3, other thurs #s also: Neighbors 3.5M, ASM2: 1.9M

Regarding Godzilla and online buzz...

it is really looking pretty huge on google trends right now which measures search traffic regarding a topic (and that chart only includes numbers up until wednesday).

Posted Image

It is clearly above both CA2 in red as well as Spidey in yellow (btw its also pretty apparent that interest in spiderman has dwindled considerably over its second weekend...) with respect to their corresponding days. Whether this really will lead to a 100+ OW will be interesting... it might be that search interest in godzilla is especially high because it is not a sequel and people have to do some googling in order to know more about the movie.

• Like 1

PR was also extremely front loaded, I think Godzilla is appealing more to casual movie goers so it should be less frontloaded.

Until I saw Godzilla yesterday I never really appreciated the word "fangasm".

I swear, after

Godzilla finally unleashed his atomic breath

certain members of the audience probably needed to change their underwear. :P  I think the majority were hard core Godzilla fans. What might keep it from being too frontloaded is I'd bet most of them will be seeing it 2 or more times.

Apparently not. btw, to date LOCKE is still my favorite of the year. Nolanites, why aren't you supporting it?!

Yep. when I was in Toronto the other day. I almost got a chance to see that movie. But it was playing just a little bit too late so sadly I had to skip it. But I will be in Toronto for the next 5 weeks I will certainly find a way to see it then.
  • Like 1

Yep. when I was in Toronto the other day. I almost got a chance to see that movie. But it was playing just a little bit too late so sadly I had to skip it. But I will be in Toronto for the next 5 weeks I will certainly find a way to see it then.

It's easy to fit into a schedule, it's like 90 minutes max. :)

• Like 1

We gave Ed this power. Now we must accept our fate.

Yes. Yeesssss.Rich...Godzilla tomorrow 4:15? Lincoln square? Il see it on my lunch break.

PR was a completely original film. Despite being a reboot, GODZILLA is a 60-year-old franchise with plenty of built-in fans.

Which is possible but PR had a lot more niche audience while Godzilla seems to be getting a lot more GA which should help with getting a solid multiplier over the weekend. 

the way you guys are describing Godzilla is like really sort of bad sex. The girl teases you all night long and then finally after 5 hours of teasing.....you so that youre close to popping, she finally lets you do it. YOU are so excited that its over in 30 seconds. But that 30 seconds was awesome for you so you forget the awful first 5 hours. That's what Godzilla is....30 seconds of sex and 5 hours of blue balls.

• Like 3

the way you guys are describing Godzilla is like really sort of bad sex. The girl teases you all night long and then finally after 5 hours of teasing.....you so that youre close to popping, she finally lets you do it. YOU are so excited that its over in 30 seconds. But that 30 seconds was awesome for you so you forget the awful first 5 hours. That's what Godzilla is....30 seconds of sex and 5 hours of blue balls.

Well, honey, had you gone with me that would have been 30 seconds of teasing, and 5 hours of amazing sex.

• Like 8

So if Australia is really a barometer for the US box office that would translate to about a 25 mill OD including Thursday.

25M OD after those crazy previews would be damn disappointing. I am shocked nobody has said a word about Friday numbers so far. By this time we usually already have some sort of numbers.

So if Australia is really a barometer for the US box office that would translate to about a 25 mill OD including Thursday.

I think it might be a bit higher than that, but... 9.3 Th, 20 Fri, 23 Sat, 17 Sun. 70m Weekend?

I have no doubt that it will be higher than 25 million. I'm just saying that if Australia truly is a good barometer to judge the US box office then you multiply that number by 10 and you would get the opening day.

Saw Godzilla again this afternoon in a bigger theater to see how it played and it was maybe 30% full.  It was playing on the other Ultrascreen on a slightly earlier screentime and that also looked to be 30% full.  Went into the "Big Screen Bistro" after my showing ended and that was maybe 50% full a few minutes before showtime.  Don't know how that will translate box-office wise when kids can go later on after school.

There was some applause during the big final battle "money shot" and a little at the end, but there were also some gripes about the cutaways during the other fight scenes and the reaction didn't seem great leaving the theater.

Godzilla remains a really mixed bag for me.