baumer

Wknd Estimates: Godzilla - 93.2M

West Coast must really be doing good business.  I guess all the people in SF just want to see their city destroyed :lol:

LOL i live in the bay area and during my showing people went "Whooo" when they were in Oakland and SF

• Like 2

I think one of the problems with TASM2 is the very concept of the movie, which is revealed right there in the tagline that was on every poster: "His Greatest Battle Begins". So much of the movie is just a setup to the whole Special Projects and Sinister Six stuff that will be coming in various future movies. It's all well and good to set up future movies, but you have to make sure that doesn't overshadow the current movie.

Oh, definitely. I like both the TASM films, but they do have some obvious flaws. It's pretty clear that they're not learning the correct lessons from... well, pretty much every other superhero franchise: the films need to stand on their own. They really want the interrelation thing going, but it's not something you can just do. The MCU tends to have pretty strong standalone films, and they just drop little seeds that work later. X-Men tends to work the same way, now. The DCU we'll have to see, but MoS wasn't bogged down by trying to set up anything in the future. (If anything, it was a bit too coy about setting things up.) And Nolan's films tended to work in reverse: they played solo and instead called back to stuff that happened in previous films to build the connections.

I think Spidey is a franchise that could be easily salvaged. They just need to work smarter, not more expensively.