#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

Exactly. So where is the cultural relevance every other previous giga-hit (and even those smaller than Avatar) showcased? Iconic quotes, scenes, characters, themes, relationships. Man of Steel? lul wut? I'll give you John Carter.I'm arguing that it's not gonna increase to 3-3.8 billion like Superman001 is so sure of it will. Learn to read. ^_^

No one except Kal is that crazy. :lol:The visual look of the Krypton scenes are very derivative of AVATAR (not surprising, since both have their roots in Golden Age pulps).Since you're so down on it, what are your predictions (no need to be precise, I know we're a long way out)?

Exactly. So where is the cultural relevance every other previous giga-hit (and even those smaller than Avatar) showcased? Iconic quotes, scenes, characters, themes, relationships. Man of Steel? lul wut? I'll give you John Carter.

I'm arguing that it's not gonna increase to 3-3.8 billion like Superman001 is so sure of it will. Learn to read. ^_^

Kal is a loonie.  His numbers for the sequel are insane and not very logical.  The rest of us are more realistic than that.

And I can read fine thanks very much.  I don't see anywhere in your post to tele where you say that you are responding to Kal.

Edited by baumer

I think it's almost impossible for it to be as big as Avatar.  But Avatar grossed 2.7 billion.  Even if this was to drop to 1.5 billion (which I don't think it will go that low), that's still a massive success.  As for it not really outgrossing Titanic, who really knows.  Titanic did 1.2 billion internationally and Avatar did 2 billion.  Who was really bigger?  I don't really think it matters.  Avatar 2 is going to be huge.

It did on all counts.

Exactly. So where is the cultural relevance every other previous giga-hit (and even those smaller than Avatar) showcased? Iconic quotes, scenes, characters, themes, relationships. Man of Steel? lul wut? I'll give you John Carter.

I'm arguing that it's not gonna increase to 3-3.8 billion like Superman001 is so sure of it will. Learn to read. ^_^

The main characters were blue cat people. It's hard to relate.

But people still KNOW Avatar. It's ingrained in their brain. That's very very rare to do in this saturated world today.

Most of us (99%) are expecting to decrease. It's pretty much given.

Well its a WW game, so...

1. Why does that matter?

2. OS?

3. Sequels can't increase? A 400M+ sequel never increased, oh wait Catching Fire did.

There is a huge difference between a 400m movie that was intended to be a franchise from the start, and a 700m movie that spawned a franchise 7 years later.

Avatar 2 won't follow trends because Avatar was an phenomenon.  It'll do great numbers, don't get me wrong, but it isn't going to naturally increase when the first had numbers that high, plus Cameron missed the chance to strike the iron while it was hot, 7 years is a long wait for a sequel (that's the difference between Titanic and Avatar).

I'm just saying it's foolish to expect Avatar 2 to be able to topple Avatar.

• Like 5

Avatar 2 no doubt will be huge but if it "only grosses" 550 million domestic and say 1.9 billion. If one motherfucker complains it's a disappointment, just ban their ass.

• Like 7

No one except Kal is that crazy. :lol:The visual look of the Krypton scenes are very derivative of AVATAR (not surprising, since both have their roots in Golden Age pulps).Since you're so down on it, what are your predictions (no need to be precise, I know we're a long way out)?

So maybe Man of Steel is referencing itself and its own roots rather than Avatar? Not to even mention Dark Knight and other succesful comic books that first pop in mind when wondering "what was WB thinking of when making MOS" before Avatar comes to mind?

As for prediction, 1.5-2 billion. Of course a huge hit still, but this franchise desperately needs its Empire Strikes Back level of sequel improvement in terms of story quality

So maybe Man of Steel is referencing itself and its own roots rather than Avatar? Not to even mention Dark Knight and other succesful comic books that first pop in mind when wondering "what was WB thinking of when making MOS" before Avatar comes to mind?

As for prediction, 1.5-2 billion. Of course a huge hit still, but this franchise desperately needs its Empire Strikes Back level of sequel improvement in terms of story quality

I don't think the story quality is a problem in this at all.  The movie opened to 75 million and had a 10X.  Apparently people seemed to like it just fine.

• Like 3

Kal is a loonie.  His numbers for the sequel are insane and not very logical.  The rest of us are more realistic than that.

And I can read fine thanks very much.  I don't see anywhere in your post to tele where you say that you are responding to Kal.

Learn how to explain yourself better and don't be such a smart ass.

It's on the same page where me and Tele start discussing.

I also caught your edit. Don't be such a smart ass posting shady gifs as if I'm 5-year old predicting 100 million global total for Avatar 2, I won't be a smart ass towards you. Very simple.

In your opinion. In terms of MAN OF STEEL, I'm specifically only talking about the Krypton visuals, a point you seem to be consistently ignoring.

No way does Avatar's sequel even approach what it did domestically. Even ignoring the novelty of the impressive 3D effects that is now non-existent and crazy seven year wait, the WOM on that movie didn't last at all. Within like a year and a half of it releasing most people seemed to be hopping on the "eh, it was okay" bandwagon, and that effect's only grown since then. Unless the movie's got some holograms or crazy technological shit to hook everyone back in, I'd say it won't even sniff 500M.

So was Friday an anamoly?  Will Godzilla rebound from Friday?

yes, if you ask kal,

Rain storms heating the east side and flooding, is hurting more people  showing up for Godzilla and Xmen my friend. Its not all about that Godzilla is not liked. LOL.. Your not paying attention to the news are you now.

Xmen would have a 50-60 million dollar day and Godzilla would have proably have had a 22-25M day if not for the weather.

• Like 1

It wasn't the technological hook that made people go back to see it. It was because people loved the world and yes, the characters.

Yea I remember seeing it a few times back in the day...everyone was hooked on Pandora and just were amazed how awesome it looked in 3D...

As for the story, nothing novel but it didn't have to be...the concept of belonging was something any culture could identify with and that why it was so huge all over the place...

• Like 1