#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

Hey look dude, don't start patronizing me.  You were being a total jerk and I called you on it.  So I edited my post.  And pardon me all over the place if I don't read every one of your posts.

Look, if you are going strictly by Kal, then you're barking up the wrong tree.  He is not exactly known for his muted box office predictions.  

And if you want to act like a 5 year old, you'll get treated like one.  

So don't start patronizing me. If you're going jerky and shady because you didn't bother to read back 2 short posts on the same page that start mine and Tele discussion than it's no one's fault but yours. You get all defensive as hell when someone is shady towards you the way you are all over the boards towards others.

Ooh, E, you should check it out. It's a fun movie with a rockin' heroine. :)

One of the things I love most about JC is how great is he at handling his female characters. Make them heroines, not just supporting side characters or eyecandy. Honestly, not that many directors in Hollywood can or care to do that, which is a shame.
  • Like 2

It's one of James Cameron's strong suits compared to alot of the other directors...he always has a strong female lead...Terminator 1/2, Aliens, Avatar...hell even True Lies had a pretty strong female character...

It's one of the litany of reasons why his films do well.  His female leads kick just as much ass as his male leads.

bet thread.

You're going to need to help me out there.

If there was ever a film that was a novelty, it was Avengers, and I'm a massive Avengers fan, but that movie has novelty written all over it in black magic marker.

I'm not particularly huge on the Avengers (and from a quality perspective I'd agree that there is a big novelty factor) but its success was manufactured. Years of groundbreaking marketing in the form of other blockbuster movies leading to a monstrous opening, followed up by insane word-of-mouth and family appeal that kept it rolling all the way to its nutty gross. I'm not saying that that success WILL be replicated, but there was a formula for it and Disney's keeping it going and we'll see. Avatar was a lightning in a bottle thing and a sequel probably would've been huge if it came sooner but I think that seven years is more than enough for the general audiences to forget about it, because like I said, when you strip away how engaging and immersive it was in the moment, the substance of the movie isn't anything to write home about.

So don't start patronizing me. If you're going jerky and shady because you didn't bother to read back 2 short posts on the same page that start mine and Tele discussion than it's no one's fault but yours. You get all defensive as hell when someone is shady towards you the way you are all over the boards towards others.

I have nothing else to add.  Enjoy your wrong opinions.  

After watching Avatar and Titanic, I still can't figure out why they were such mega-blockbusters.Cameron must use subliminal messages or something.

Because they feature simple, straight forward, appealing characters that people can relate to, with a simple, somewhat familiar story that entertains them. Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

You have to consider that The Terminator grossed just behind Red Dawn domestic and it's gross was more then doubled by Star Trek, Police Academy, The Karate Kid and others. The HV market set the scene for T2 to explode. Also, JC made a damn fine film.

• Like 2

After watching Avatar and Titanic, I still can't figure out why they were such mega-blockbusters.Cameron must use subliminal messages or something.

Avatar had 3D as a pretty novel gimmick. Even Alice in Wonderland capitalized on it to great effect. Maybe we'll get Smell-O-Vision as the new gimmick for Avatar 2.

You have to consider that The Terminator grossed just behind Red Dawn domestic and it's gross was more then doubled by Star Trek, Police Academy, The Karate Kid and others. The HV market set the scene for T2 to explode. Also, JC made a damn fine film.

Terminator was like First Blood.  Both marginal money makers that had their sequels become the zeitgeist of their respective years, mostly due to HV.

Ditto and I've never watched The Titanic all the way through.  I get bored then feel guilty for hoping the ship sinks sooner then turn it off.

My favorite Cameron is The Terminator - one of his lowest grossers but  there's no debating the man has the Midas touch.

I've seen Titanic a zillion times and not for Leo and Kate either, lol. I am just awestruck at the way he captured the disaster with the and every emotion possible for people going through it.  Every scene was gripping and heart wrenching.  Fascinating stuff.

My favorite is Terminator as well. But I love T2 also. 

• Like 2

Well, I watched Friday the 13th 2 last night.  I think I'll watch The Final Chapter tonight.

Good night all.

• Like 1

Because they feature simple, straight forward, appealing characters that people can relate to, with a simple, somewhat familiar story that entertains them.

No offense but that doesn't explain 10% drops 20 weekends in a row.

Because they feature simple, straight forward, appealing characters that people can relate to, with a simple, somewhat familiar story that entertains them.

IMO its the perfect combination of that (grand romance period piece etc) AND epic SFX disaster action movie. 2 movies seemlesly combined into 1 epic