#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

2nd UPDATE, SAT, 11:35 PM: International estimates for X-Men will arrive in the morning and is expected to be huge. Domestically, X-Men’s Saturday take is around $29M tonight for Fox, down roughly 18% (Godzilla was down 17% from Friday to Saturday in its debut weekend), so the final 4-day tally is towards the lower end of estimates at the moment while the other opener Blended, with a $5.2M Saturday is heading towards the higher end of its estimated gross of $18M (and change). It’s still bickering with Neighbors for the No. 3 spot in the food chain for the three-day with both around $14M at the moment; Blended still looks like it will best Neighbors for the 4-day. Certainly hope so, given that Neighbors is in its 3rd week and the Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore comedy is opening … or not exactly … really, you know, opening. A bit soft.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3

So despite X-MEN being a good movie, it was wayyy overhyped for it's own good while GODZILLA is merely gravy at the box office $$$ at this point.. Sounds great to me.. :bravo: 

And so it begins.

Since I don't see grimm listed in the thread now to answer ... it's The Crazies on the left ... and next to it, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. (TV Show) Dat Summer Glau :)

Damn.

You are good!

• Like 1

To varying levels of success ... nothing ever changes with X-Men.  The weekends are always so damn similar.  One of these times, we'll stop believing that it's going to magically increase on it's first Saturday.

• Like 5

Godzilla's drop make no sense. I'm passing out fellas. It's happening.

godzilla totally over-performed during ow.

it outgrossed pac rim's entire run in 5 days and it's ow was almost as big as wwz's week 1.

great marketing and promise of amazing visuals pretty much attracted most people.

not to mention the fan-base which was starving for 16 years.

~40m 4-day doesn't bother me much.

• Like 1

To varying levels of success ... nothing ever changes with X-Men.  The weekends are always so damn similar.  One of these times, we'll stop believing that it's going to magically increase on it's first Saturday.

So what you're saying is, even though this is getting great reviews, we shouldn't magically hope that DOFP will develop non-X-Men legs.

• Like 1

So what you're saying is, even though this is getting great reviews, we shouldn't magically hope that DOFP will develop non-X-Men legs.

We have to see weekday numbers and then discuss.

Numbers make sense now. Wow. Sucks.

Well, I'll say the same thing I said after TASM2's first two days...the performance isn't the real problem. It's day one. X-Men films are always frontloaded. The only thing good about a 29m Saturday is that it increased from Friday proper, something X3 did not do EIGHT years ago. 300m may be lost, but all is not lost.

• Like 1

IMO, X2, X-Men First Class ... and The Wolverine were all 'good' to 'great comic book movies' ... but it's still X-Men and after 7 films, it's hard to believe it's going to magically change to a radical degree ... just like with those films.

Edited by Adam