#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

Well, I'll say the same thing I said after TASM2's first two days...the performance isn't the real problem. It's day one. X-Men films are always frontloaded. The only thing good about a 29m Saturday is that it increased from Friday proper, something X3 did not do EIGHT years ago. 300m may be lost, but all is not lost.

Yeah, if it pulled an X3, we'd be talking about 80 million.

• Like 1

The Last Stand only had midnights and in about 40% fewer locations.  It was also a big event movie with a huge rush factor coming off the popularity of X-2.  The massive $45m Friday is testament to that.  Adjusted for inflation it had a $54.8m Friday and a $149.3 4 day w/e even with being front loaded.

Edited by TalismanRing

36 + 29 + 25 + 20 + 11 + 9 + 8 + 12 + 18 + 10 = 178 10 day.weekdays 4(3.5/day) + 22M 3rd weekend. = 214M 17 dayweekdays 4(2/day) + 12 4th weekend = 234M 24 day

I think that's pretty optimistic. No way it goes from 11 to 9 that first Wednesday, for example.

36 + 29 + 25 + 20 + 11 + 9 + 8 + 12 + 18 + 10 = 178 10 day.

weekdays 4(3.5/day) + 22M 3rd weekend.  = 214M 17 day

weekdays 4(2/day) + 12 4th weekend = 234M 24 day

you are giving it a 55.5% post memorial day 2nd weekend drop. even FC dropped 56% off the ow (which did not have an inflated sunday). i can't see dofp below 60% drop in 2nd weekend.

Edited by a2k

IMO, X2, X-Men First Class ... and The Wolverine were all 'good' to 'great comic book movies' ... but it's still X-Men and after 7 films, it's hard to believe it's going to magically change to a radical degree ... just like with those films.

Well this one was supposed to be different because it was a crossover film like TA, like F5, etc. That's where the expectations were coming from. Two Wolverines without X-Men and one X-Men without Wolverine are not the same as X-Men with Wolverine. And the latter hadn't happened in EIGHT years.

• Like 1

So what you're saying is, even though this is getting great reviews, we shouldn't magically hope that DOFP will develop non-X-Men legs.

Pretty much. The last two F&F movies managed to actually improve on the predecessor's multi. Very slightly but it's still there. So it's not unheard of. Though I might attribute that to Fast Fast appealing to a wider audience by being an awesome action movie as opposed to just straight street racing. The jump in quality between 4 and 5 was pretty ridiculous.