#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

Blended probably cost Godzilla, X-men and Neighbors a few extra millions. Adam Sandler is a box office poison.

This is sarcasm, right?

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

it was already down 77% on friday when dofp opened in china. don't know how much it's adding now though.

That's Friday. It was still making money during the week before DOFP opened.

• Like 1

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now that's a global release.  Very impressive.  So was it released in all territories at once or are there any big ones left?

Rank Title Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year^ 1 Avatar Fox $2,782.3 $760.5 27.3% $2,021.8 72.7% 2009^ 2 Titanic Par. $2,186.8 $658.7 30.1% $1,528.1 69.9% 1997^ 3 Marvel's The Avengers BV $1,518.6 $623.4 41.0% $895.2 59.0% 2012 4 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $1,341.5 $381.0 28.4% $960.5 71.6% 2011 6 Frozen BV $1,219.2 $400.5 32.9% $818.7 67.1% 2013 5 Iron Man 3 BV $1,215.4 $409.0 33.7% $806.4 66.3% 2013

I kind of like how the top four are from different studios.

TASM2 seem to have held well outside china and that bodes well for rest of its run even with china run ending on friday(or did Olive report that Imax run will continue till EOT opens following week).

What markets? UK maybe? I don't know.

With great legs DOFP can approach or exceed $600m OS. Despite competition and the World Cup, this seems to have great word of mouth and time travel films are primed for repeat viewing. Will be interesting to see how high this goes.

Edited by Clavius

Sure but isn't May supposed to be a prime release spot to kick off summer? 

Until Jaws summer was not considered a good release date. Star wars started memorial day summer openers. XMen/Spiderman started May beginning. Fast 5 opened last week of april. This year Cap2 opened early April. So the concept of summer opener is changing. I guess late april/early may is good for OS with Labor day holiday. TASM2 in fact opened 2 weeks earlier in OS and so that is also moot.

• Like 2

Final total will be around 520 mill i think

No.

It is having the last one session per day for the next 2 days in a lot of countries as Maleficent opens on Wednesday to take its last seats.

Rememeberred, it has been out for 6 weeks, entering its 7th...Most movies stayed 4 weeks in theaters.

It won't gross more than $10 millions now...and that's the absolute best scenario.

Edited by Ent

The slow movement of summer away from summer has been fascinating.

Yeah it is when you take the time to actually look at what's happening with the industry. I think I first noticed when Thor 1 and Fast 5 released.

Until Jaws summer was not considered a good release date. Star wars started memorial day summer openers. XMen/Spiderman started May beginning. Fast 5 opened last week of april. This year Cap2 opened early April. So the concept of summer opener is changing. I guess late april/early may is good for OS with Labor day holiday. TASM2 in fact opened 2 weeks earlier in OS and so that is also moot.

Twister, The Mummy more like.
  • Like 1

With great legs DOFP can approach or exceed $600m OS. Despite competition and the World Cup, this seems to have great word of mouth and time travel films are primed for repeat viewing. Will be interesting to see how high this goes.

DOFP wont have 600 mill legs. Not even with fantastic WOM
  • Like 1

Good stuff. Didn't know that about Jaws and Star Wars.