Punishment

Weekend Actuals 5/23-5/25 DOFP 90.8, Zilla 30.9, Blen 14.3 [NO SPOILERS]

I'm hoping that this wonderful piece of cinema can transcend it's limitations and bring in new fans like the MCU movies have done.  That is what I wish for Xmen.

Even if the legs for DOFP aren't spectacular, the postive WOM and audience reaction should bring in much higher numbers for X-Men Apocalypse. Just like the positive reaction to First Class wound up benefitting DOFP much more than FC.

So I just realized, DOFP could end up in the 230 range, and it could still be the #3 film of the summer.

Crazy.

It's entirely possible that only HTTYD and TF will pass it.

• Like 1

Even if the legs for DOFP aren't spectacular, the postive WOM and audience reaction should bring in much higher numbers for X-Men Apocalypse. Just like the positive reaction to First Class wound up benefitting DOFP much more than FC.

I don't think a direct sequel with just FC characters would have opened this high. I think the story DOFP (hugely popular) along with bringing back the older cast members did the trick. But this is all just my opinion.

• Like 1

270 will be hard. there's a lot of competition coming up that could kill its legs

No chance in hell. Whatsoever. $250m is the absolute max it can hope of achieving. $230m-$240m is the likely range.

• Like 2

I don't think a direct sequel with just FC characters would have opened this high. I think the story DOFP (hugely popular) along with bringing back the older cast members did the trick. But this is all just my opinion.

No, there's no way DOFP would have opened this high if everything else stayed the same but FC got bad reviews and WOM instead of good.

No, there's no way DOFP would have opened this high if everything else stayed the same but FC got bad reviews and WOM instead of good.

FC didn't really get great WOM with audiences. It's legs were mediocre despite only opening to 55m (other reboots like Batman Begins and Rise of the Apes that same year opened similar but did far better) and it didn't do great on home video

Huh? Well I won't argue this but my point still remains.

Huh?

He's saying DOFP wouldn't have opened this high if FC got bad reviews and bad WOM.

I'm not sure what that has to do with my original point. But hey.

• Like 1

So I just realized, DOFP could end up in the 230 range, and it could still be the #3 film of the summer.

Crazy.

It's entirely possible that only HTTYD and TF will pass it.

Yup, this summer will probably end below last year unless something in June and July really breaks out. Godzilla versus Spider-Man final gross will also be interesting to see.

I'm glad x-men was good enough to give me something to fanboy over. I thought this summer was gonna be as barren as last year for me on that front

HTTYD2 is coming up.

• Like 1

I'm glad x-men was good enough to give me something to fanboy over. I thought this summer was gonna be as barren as last year for me on that front

Well I got 2 good movies to obsess over. :wub: You're right it's so much fun.

Just got an invite to a preview screening of a movie which sounds very derivative. It is directed by Chris Evans apparently.

1:30 Train marks the feature directorial debut of Chris Evans (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) who also stars in this romance alongside Alice Eve (Star Trek Into Darkness).

The film is a heartfelt romance, focusing on two strangers who meet serendipitously in Manhattan. We follow them as they spend one night together wandering the city, and watch as the conflicts in their own lives become the basis for their exploration of each other and themselves.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1