Emirazza

The Ridiculous " Empire's The 301 Greatest Movies of All Time" List

I disagree. Most of my friends like but don't love TF1 and dislike the other two. They watch all those films because it's the summer season and its still fun to watch explosions, but they would never put them in their top 100 lists. Obviously, I'm speaking from anecdotal examples, but I don't buy the idea that Transformers is considered top 100 material by most of the GA. 

Simply put anyone who watches more then one best picture nominee is not general audience.

We on this site are not general audiences. 

one should always look at the bottom of these lists, because the top is always going to be mainstream trash, whereas the bottom will at least have a combination of good and bad films.

so, from 280-290, we have

come and see (elem klimov)

persona (ingmar bergman)

the bridge on the river kwai (david lean)

and also

man of steel

prometheus

Lessee... What animation shows up there.

WDAS:

66. The Lion King

157. Beauty and the Beast

159. Frozen

272. The Little Mermaid

279. Fantasia

Weird that of the Big Four Renaissance films, Aladdin is missing. And of all Walt produced films, Fantasia gets in? No Pinocchio? No Snow White? Frozen's presence isn't a surprise (or something I'd disagree with), but it does highlight how recent all the choices are.

Pixar:

58. Toy Story

111. Up

134. Wall-E

147. Toy Story 3

218. The Incredibles

228. Finding Nemo

Seems strange that TS2 is missing. I'd quibble that MI should be up there, too, but it's generally a consensus that there's a handful of deserving Pixar choices, which ones is going to vary a bit.

Dreamworks:

280. How to Train Your Dragon

Fair enough. I think it should be rated higher, but it's also (so far) the only Dreamworks film I'd probably put on such a list. I'm a bit surprised Shrek (at least) didn't make the cut.

Miyazaki:

82. Spirited Away

203. Princess Mononoke

216. My Neighbor Totoro

Pretty much the big trifecta. Kiki's Delivery Service is a pretty glaring oversight, IMO, but it's understandable that it's missed in a public poll.

Other:

236. Akira

257. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut

Makes sense. Arguably the most famous non-Miyazaki anime film, and SP is pretty well regarded.

Sad that there's no representation of Satoshi Kon.

• Like 1

WDAS:

66. The Lion King

159. Frozen

272. The Little Mermaid

279. Fantasia

Weird that of the Big Four Renaissance films, Aladdin is missing. And of all Walt produced films, Fantasia gets in? No Pinocchio? No Snow White? Frozen's presence isn't a surprise (or something I'd disagree with), but it does highlight how recent all the choices are.

Pixar:

58. Toy Story

111. Up

134. Wall-E

147. Toy Story 3

218. The Incredibles

228. Finding Nemo

Seems strange that TS2 is missing. I'd quibble that MI should be up there, too, but it's generally a consensus that there's a handful of deserving Pixar choices, which ones is going to vary a bit.

Dreamworks:

Fair enough. I think it should be rated higher, but it's also (so far) the only Dreamworks film I'd probably put on such a list. I'm a bit surprised Shrek (at least) didn't make the cut.

Miyazaki:

82. Spirited Away

203. Princess Mononoke

216. My Neighbor Totoro

Pretty much the big trifecta. Kiki's Delivery Service is a pretty glaring oversight, IMO, but it's understandable that it's missed in a public poll.

Other:

236. Akira

Makes sense. Arguably the most famous non-Miyazaki anime film, and SP is pretty well regarded.

That movie was awesome, it came out when I was just a kid and seeing such a grown up adult like story in a anime was just so awesome.

Its the main reason why so many shows from Japan become popular in North America. 

That movie was awesome, it came out when I was just a kid and seeing such a grown up adult like story in a anime was just so awesome.

Its the main reason why so many shows from Japan become popular in North America. 

Eh. Mononoke was after Akira, after GitS, and after Ninja Scroll. I'd say it was the film that got Miyazaki's name out there: instead of being a dude who made these really good anime films, he was THE dude who made the best anime films. But there were plenty of earlier films which highlighted the adult nature of anime.

OTOH, Mononoke was arguably the first which had any degree of DOM theatrical success, besides Pokemon.

• Like 1

WDAS:

66. The Lion King

159. Frozen

272. The Little Mermaid

279. Fantasia

Pixar:

58. Toy Story

111. Up

134. Wall-E

147. Toy Story 3

218. The Incredibles

228. Finding Nemo

Dreamworks:

Miyazaki:

82. Spirited Away

203. Princess Mononoke

216. My Neighbor Totoro

Other:

236. Akira

Finding Nemo should be ahead of this pack. Matter of fact, it is, Empire's list is just wrong

There is no list that everyone is going to agree with, as we have seen several times in these forums.  I always find it enjoyable to look at these list and see what films make it that I like and which ones get left off.  There are usually a few that I haven't seen and it encourage me to check them out.

Definitely like seeing a Star Wars film at number one, even though A New Hope is always my number 1 movie.

I hate to be that guy who beats a dead horse, but I feel like the discussion we're having here is rather pointless. It's easy to talk about a list being too "mainstream" and "dumb," or on the other side, too "pretentious." But such statements don't really carry a lot of insight. I'd much rather argue about TDK's strengths and faults than its placement on some random list.

• Like 1

Eh. Mononoke was after Akira, after GitS, and after Ninja Scroll. I'd say it was the film that got Miyazaki's name out there: instead of being a dude who made these really good anime films, he was THE dude who made the best anime films. But there were plenty of earlier films which highlighted the adult nature of anime.

OTOH, Mononoke was arguably the first which had any degree of DOM theatrical success, besides Pokemon.

Yeah however look at the perspective of someone here in North America...

Japanese Anime grew popular in the late 90's with kids shows like Pokemon, Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z.

Films like Princess Mononoke was the first of those kinds of films to receive any kind of tv airplay and such here.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Other than no SM2, no X2, but MOS is, and E.T. being down at what? #65?(that movie gets no respect) ...movies may be out of order, but there's nothing glaringly bad other than it being more of a popularity contest and not a true referendum on quality or artistry. Any time you ask for fans to vote you're always going to end up with The People's Choice Awards not the Academy Awards.

Wait, Braveheart at #174???

Posted Image

lol. I stopped reading when I saw Man of Steel on there.

It is at like 286, but what is quality just because you don't like something doesn't mean it is not good.

• Like 1