Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

109 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I was confused about this at first, but my brother told me that since Cruise destroys the Omega before being injected with the Alpha's blood, the Omega knows about it's own demise when the timeline resets and simply gives up, allowing the human armies to move in without resistance.

No. That's not it. It's a time loop. When Cruise kills the Omega he absorbs it's blood and resets back further in time then when he just kills the Alpha. Due to the time displacement capabilities of the Omega I assume it's death occurs in the past from when it is actually killed by Cruise. Or maybe this explanation is more clear.
Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 7

Well we do know that if the Alpha dies, Omega resets time. 

But never before has Omega been destroyed so we don't know the exact consequences of that.  Possible it couldn't reset time itself being destroyed only alive, only Alphas being destroyed and come back alive again while Omega can't.  And humans have cerebral network to reset time itself something the Mimics did not expect. 

• Like 1

No. That's not it. It's a time loop. When Cruise kills the Omega he absorbs it's blood and resets back further in time then when he just kills the Alpha. Due to the time displacement capabilities of the Omega I assume it's death occurs in the past from when it is actually killed by Cruise. Or maybe this explanation is more clear.

Was it Omega's blood or Alpha?  Because both died and were in the vicinity of Cage.

Cage was an Alpha at the beginning then becomes the Omega at the end. That means he became the definition of a God. He has became the biggest asset that Mankind possesses to win the war for good because he has the Omega's capacity to reset at will.

It's like in a videogame when you clear the game by killing the final boss, you don't come back to the first level, you come back to presentation screen in God mode with all the cheat codes.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 9

I am so glad I read the reactions here and decided to watch this on the big screen :)The most satisfying sci if film since District 9 IMO.Heart, action, humor, rock-solid acting and tight plotting. Who wouldn't want that?9/10

• Like 1

The best mainstream scifi movie since Minority Report. Liked the nod when Cruise is taking Blunt to get to the general HQ and you realize he knows every single things that will happen like the mall scene in which Agatha was leading him.

What I liked as well is that the movie didn't spoonfeed everything like the scene in which you see him getting to a pub in central London ("Coward!") hinting that he tried so much different escapes (getting to the farm, to the general's HQ) and there are much more attempts than what you're shown.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

Man, this movie was badass. It was smart, funny, tightly scripted, and didn't spoon-feed the audience like so many blockbusters nowadays. It also felt perfectly paced for an action film, which is rare in an era where there making trilogies based on single books. EOT is the perfect antidote to anyone who feels fatigue from all the constant remakes, reboots, reimaginings, sequels, and comic book movies. So of course, it flops.

9/10

• Like 2

Easily the film of the summer. Can't find any fault in it. Action. Tick. Acting. Tick. Story. Tick. Runtime. Tick. Music. Tick. This is what X-Men and Godzilla should have been, EoT shits on both of them. Watched it twice already, it gets better with multiple viewing. It better have epic legs, deserves it.

• Like 2

Mother fucking Tom Cruise. Still the king of kings. I will forever and always support him. The man is a definition of a movie star. I agree with everything most of you are saying, I loved it. Best movie of the summer.

2 complaints though, the final 15 minutes were the weakest of the film and the movie was truly missing a rousing movie score, a classic march of sorts.

B+ (87.5)

• Like 4

Time for my poorly written review.

Really enjoyed the hell outta the movie. I am a big fan of smart/techno SciFi action movies. Movie has a great premise, the execution of this premise was done brilliantly. Doug Liman did a great job directing this movie. Screen writing remained tight, and didn't give away the entire reason for Tom Cruise's character to kept looping right away. I liked the way the movie explained bits of pieces of the time loop/plot without completely giving it away in the middle of the movie. Don't like it when every little plot point has to be explained to me. It's up to the viewer to figure them out. Movie obviously borrowed a lot of the same plot points from other movies, but that's okay if you can take those same and add something new and refreshing. Reminded me a lot of Looper, Terminator 2, and Saving Private Ryan. Bits of pieces of movies like Source Code, The Matrix and Groundhog Day. It's hard for a movie to be original in today's climate, but I give Doug Liman a lot of credit, and the screen writers too. They did a great job making this movie has original as possible. 

Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt had great on-screen chemistry. I totally bought Emily as this hard-core Sarah Connor-like military bitch. She looks so muscled up and tone! One character you certainly don't want to fuck with. Tom Cruise is always entertaining in his movies. Despite his antics in his personal life, he always brings a likability to his roles. Even when some of his movies aren't the best. I appreciate he does his own stunts too. 

This is one of the better movies I've seen this year. I'd probably rate it 2nd or 3rd on my favorite movies of the year list. It's that good! Only one negative I had... Movie kinda dragged in the 3rd act. Abandoned the looping aspect of the movie.

Had one question...

I understand Cruise character killed the Omega at the end and retained the ability to loop again, but how was he able to loop back again and saved the lives of those shoulders apart of his team and Emily Blunt's character when they had died during the mission? Guess he looped back and killed the Omega by himself since he knew how do it now? Ending confused me a little...

I give it a solid A(9.6/10). Feels like I'm depleting the currency by giving every movie an A, but there has been some great movies to come out recently. X Men:DOFP, Winter Soldier, Godzilla, and Edge of Tomorrow. I was so pleased with this movie. Entertaining, action packed, and original. Really enjoyed the visuals too during the beach invasion. Reminded me of the Normandy Invasion in Saving Private Ryan. People need to go see this movie. Don't see bullshit like Maleficent or The Amazing Spiderman 2. This movie deserves your attendance.

Edited by Drunkzilla
  • Like 3

I really liked it, but I just love Tom Cruise's Action Movies. I even just watched Jack Reacher last week, where Tom kicks some butt, without the machines help!

One question I had, how did Emily Blunt know that the blood transfusion would stop the new days from re-starting?

• Like 2

I really liked it, but I just love Tom Cruise's Action Movies. I even just watched Jack Reacher last week, where Tom kicks some butt, without the machines help!

One question I had, how did Emily Blunt know that the blood transfusion would stop the new days from re-starting?

Because that's how she lost her ability to do it.

But he was warned in advance that it would happen by her, so that would be a wild guess on her part.

How on earth is it a wild guess? She got a blood transfusion and lost the power. Nothing else that happened would've made her lose it except that.