Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

109 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Finally saw this today. An immensely satisfying summer blockbuster and one of my favourites of the year. Not to belittle any of them but I'd definitely put it above DoFP, TWS, and TASM2 in terms of viewing experience.

I'm sure somebody already mentioned this but it felt a lot like the sci-fi/action version of groundhogs day (which I loved too) but much more suited to my taste. something about the alien invasion and humanities last ditch attempt to survive always gets my blood racing! I was tense throughout the whole 2 hours or so of the film and some of the absurdities of the film such as the whole reset process never even registered until after it ended and even then it did nothing to lessen my enjoyment of it. 

About the acting, I always enjoy Tom Cruise films so I knew what to expect from him but Emily Blunt totally blew me away. I've only seen one of her films the "looper" and it left no impression on me, maybe because I disliked that whole film. She was perfect in EoT as the warrioress and watching her kick alien ass was sexy as hell. I'd love to see her in similar action roles in the future. 

Overall a solid A grade from me, engrossing plot, great directing and fantastic acting chemistry between Blunt and Cruise. 

• Like 5

Just finally watched it today. It was worth going through all the trouble in the past week just to get and see this. And my friends agreed. Let me just tell you that at the end of the movie they both said the movie was 'fucking awesome' and one of them couldn't stop complimenting Liman's direction and the story.

As for myself. I didn't agree with them. This movie is beyond fucking awesome. It has what blockbusters nowadays seem to lack: a good story, direction and god damn great actors. The jokes were funny. The chemistry was there. The action was great. The score was good (Really, that recurring battle theme is still stuck in my head). I really won't go into reviewing every single part because there was nothing I really disliked about it.

But then the movie ended. While I didn't like the ending and how everything started all over again and the aliens disappeared, I accepted it. What I didn't like was the last shot of the movie. I don't know why, but I wanted to see something like Cruise just going up to Blunt and thanking her for helping him save the world. She would've understood everything. Then he just should've turned around and left.

Also, I doubt someone talking with a Major like Blunt did at the end of the movie would be accepted.

Overall, A+

• Like 4

I tried getting my roommate to watch it but he's been like "I don't want to pay for it."

And yet he wants to see Maleficent a second time.

<_<

I don't mean to be disrespectful for people who liked Maleficent, but damn, Emily Blunt doing pushups was more entertaining than the whole damn movie.

I'm not joking though. For me, Cruise walking up to her doing pushups in one particular scene had more emotional impact than Maleficent as a whole.

• Like 5

I don't mean to be disrespectful for people who liked Maleficent, but damn, Emily Blunt doing pushups was more entertaining than the whole damn movie.

I'm not joking though. For me, Cruise walking up to her doing pushups in one particular scene had more emotional impact than Maleficent as a whole.

I could watch her doing push-ups all day for the rest of my life in an everlasting loop.

Posted Image

:wub:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 11

I'm so sad this film is flopping because it is a blockbuster treat for everyone. We need more films like this in Hollywood. Smart, clever, and no bullshit nonsense side stories. A clear narrative and fantastic performances all around with some wit to it.9/10

• Like 5

I'm so sad this film is flopping because it is a blockbuster treat for everyone. We need more films like this in Hollywood. Smart, clever, and no bullshit nonsense side stories. A clear narrative and fantastic performances all around with some wit to it.9/10

do think think alot of middle aged moviegoers are saying, another Tom Cruise Action movie, I will see it on Cable?

Also, if a family of 4 goes out to see this, that is $50 plus everything else and maybe dinner. Which isn't bad, except if they do that every week.

Edited by Lazer Deadshot
  • Like 1

Debating wether I enjoyed this or captain America more. Definitely the best sci-fi I've sen since inception and also one cruise's best in a long whole. Although I would still give the slight edge to Minority Report because that had Spielberg. Very strong movie all around and I especially enjoyed the humor, plus the action never felt repetitive at times. Really wish this could have been more successful, this deserves so much more. But as it is it is terrific entertainmentA-/A

• Like 2

I swear that I am not the biggest fan of her, but she is at her best and hottest in Looper and this.  She is way too sexy when kicking ass.

Same, I'm not a big fan of her, never found her attractive. But I changed my mind after watching EoT. Her push-up scene will stay in my mind for a long time. Really love her. :wub:

• Like 2

just came back from seeing this 

agree its pretty good i gave it a B+ (leaning towards an A- ) love the look of the film 

why no A straight up , lack of aliens pov , first contact , now i'm complaining  about them in this review but i didnt really minded during the film so that's a plus to the film 

it just got me thinking why they choose to make the aliens look the way they do , didnt see any spaceship where did they come from , lots of question but none essential to the roll out of the plot 

also not a fan of the groundhog day plot device , but it goes over well enough in film format , they were smart enough not to show same scenes all the time in every reenactment of that day 

tom cruise was good but i've never had any problem with him as an actor, personally enjoyed oblivion one of my fav recent scifi films

emily blunt also good but i like her films (fav is the young victoria ),hardly recognize bill paxton 

except i kinda was hoping they wouldnt make them kiss and therefore imply something , but they did !

even though i didnt like that ,  they were prudent enough not to expand on it with a mushy scene , blunt was all soldier business 98% of the time i digged that 

i guess even though we didnt see so , there was an underlying 50 first dates vibe going on

ps: note to aliens you might want to rethink your hive mentality approach a la borg , its great when you're winning but once the enemy finds out its a chink in your armour as they look to destroy it and thus end the war 

see: independance day / avengers/ battle los angeles / battleship? / oblivion? 

all in all a good solid scifi film , i wasnt wowed but i was engaged

it helps that there were only 7 people watching this , but its been out for 2 weeks now in 3D , sometimes nothing wrong with waiting a while to see a film if your only choice is  3D and as bonus you miss out on noisy crowd , just as i was going in , there was a flow of little girls with 3 moms passing me by to go see maleficent , booming business that movie !

Edited by LadyEvenstar22
  • Like 1

i wouldnt put this over cap2 or xmen latest if only because i don't have a long term emotional connection with the characters of EoT

so its really a different approach 

edge  stayed focus the entire film and it showed so good job to the director and cast , i also didnt see any trailer save one a few weeks ago , and trailer didnt exactly sell this to me but tom cruise was in it so there was always the likelyhood i would at least think about giving it a look

• Like 1

Long time lurker, just registered. Thought this movie deserved my first post because it surpassed my expectations completely.I was a fan of Cruise's older movies, my favourites being Jerry Maguire, Color of Money, Minority Report and Top Gun of course. However in recent years his action heavy choices have turned me off his movies. Don't get me wrong, Knight and Day and Oblivion aren't horrible movies but they didnt reach the heights I expected and so didnt work for me personally. So that being said, I went into Edge of Tomorrow with lower expectations. Maybe it would be a fun 2 hours or so, nothing more, nothing less...but it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable Cruise movies. The premise worked well, from the moment he gets the power to the end I thought it was a near perfect execution what was promised. Cruise's character genuinely goes on a journey from beginning to end and he actually gets to show some more of his acting talent which has been generally brushed under the carpet in recent times. I thought the way he conveyed his love for Blunt's character and the pain seeing her die caused him was excellent.The action scenes were great, frenetic, fun, eye catching, while the time paradox elements were easy to digest and didnt leave you scratching your head too much.If I had some complaints it would be that I wished for a few more scenes of just Cruise and Blunt talking, or maybe another Blunt death scene as cruel as that sounds, just to enforce their relationship a bit more amongst all the action. Also the ending seemed a tad contrived. I would have preferred either one or both to die, as opposed to the final time jump, but I wont complain too much about a happy end to the story.Overall, I would give Edge of Tomorrow : A-

• Like 2