Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

Elysium did 93m with a similar OW. So it is still possible for EoT to cross 90m, right ? It cant have worse WOM than Elysium ....

Actually it probably has a chance to rach 100m. Elysium had varried word of mouth, not to mention the R rating probably cut off it's legs a bit. Edge of Tomorrow's WOM seems as if it well be extremely positive and is more kid friendly. 

Better WOM but far greater competition. Elysium had little to deal with in mid August.

Man I forget how relatively impressive the legs for Elysium were.

August last year was a movie wasteland and was relatively empty. This year August is crowded as hell, 19 wide releases in 5 weeks.

(Thanks to Europe,) Sci-fi action films are just taugh sell. I mean, even franchise sequel STID only did 238m OS, so it is not unreasonable/too-big-a-shame that something original like EOT falls short of 200m os.

Star Trek's not very popular overseas. 238m makes Star Trek Into Darkness the highest grossing in the franchise in other markets.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Elysium

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic:  $93,050,117  32.5%Foreign:  $193,090,583

67.5%

Seems like a good comparison.

Yeah, Ely had surprising good legs considering its problematic quality.

And far less competition.

OT again in Stanley Cup Finals!!!!! Great series so far.

:D

Spoilers!!!!Looked by Stanley Cup viewership, and game 1 got 4.5M viewers. Shockingly low TBH. The NBA finals game 1 got 15M viewers.[Mod Edit] Don't quote potential spoilers. Edited by #ED

After Iron Man 2 and Black Widow fell through for her they approached her to be Peggy Carter in the first Cap but I think with how her husband lost out on the role that wasn't going to happen.  But she'd be great as Sharon Carter - infinitely better than the prospect of what they have now...

Or maybe the first MCU Villainess - Madame Hydra

As much as I love Emily, I'm glad she didn't get the role of Peggy Carter. I'm even more elated her husband didn't get the role of Cap.

• Like 5

Spoilers!!!!Looked by Stanley Cup viewership, and game 1 got 4.5M viewers. Shockingly low TBH. The NBA finals game 1 got 15M viewers.[Mod Edit] Don't quote potential spoilers.

When you add Canada the viewership is almost even. 

It's not good really, but yeah, it's nowhere near the levels of badness some thought would happen.  So maybe that gives hope for the weekend for those that want this movie to do better than expected :)

Hey 75!!! Saw Xmen... Very good my 2nd favorite film this year next to Cap.> Give  it a 9.3.. Just below Xmen2's 9.5 for me.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

How expensive was it?

Around $180 million before marketing is what I've seen floating around. So it probably needs at least $375-400m worldwide to break even/profit in theaters. In the long run, I'm sure they'll make their money with TV deals and the HV market, but they must have had a lot of confidence in the script and Cruise's ability to draw well overseas. That's a lotta dough for a non-franchise pic. (Oblivion cost two-thirds of that.)

• Like 3

Nothing really new to report unless FIOS was to really takes off eve (which it would need to get as high as 14-15) ,ranges similar to before looking like there won't be to much between Malef,FIOS,EOT for Sat,Malef will prob be #1

Thanks Rth!

Around $180 million before marketing is what I've seen floating around. So it probably needs at least $375-400m worldwide to break even/profit in theaters. In the long run, I'm sure they'll make their money with TV deals and the HV market, but they must have had a lot of confidence in the script and Cruise's ability to draw well overseas. That's a lotta dough for a non-franchise pic. (Oblivion cost two-thirds of that.)

WB did a terrible job marketing it. 

• Like 1