Murgatroyd

A Year At A Glance | 2015 complete; 2016 added 6/24/16

A while back, inspired by some of my work graphing Frozen's run, I started a larger project.  The idea was to put every major movie of last year on a single graph, and see what it looked like.  For ease of gathering the data, I defined "major movie" as any movie which was in 3000 or more theaters at any point in its run.  A few high-grossing movies did not meet that threshold, and they are not on the graph, but overall it seems to have worked out well.  Now that we're five months into 2014, and (with one exception) the major movies of 2013 have closed, it's time to present the results.

Without further ado...

2a6wmrn.png

w1r803.png

kao16u.jpg

Edited by Murgatroyd
  • Like 15

Here's another interesting chart to make regarding the 2014 movies at the U.S. box office.  Of the 65 or so mainstream movies released so far,  count how many where the main character / protagonist is female.  I think about 15 of the 65 are.  Also, count how many of the movies in the top 20 where the main character/protagonist is Black/Latino/Asian.  Right now 1 of the top 20 is (Ride Along).  They actually make up 34% of the U.S. population.  It is an interesting look at American culture.

Edited by Ando81
  • Like 2

This is a fantastic idea and a lot of work went into it.  Your timing might be a bit off.  Friday night is kind of reserved for the numbers.  But eventually people will get to this.

:)

• Like 2

Great work Murgatroyd. Looks like a lot of work went into this. It'd be cool if someone could do this for other past years as well.

I will FOREVER love that two 400m movies were released right next to each other, and they were both had female protagonists too. :wub:

If you count Frozen's limited release, they were released on exactly the same day!jij. Edited by Gokai Red
  • Like 1

Great work Murgatroyd. Looks like a lot of work went into this. It'd be cool if someone could do this for other past years as well.

That "someone" is not likely to be me, unless I'm really bored some day.  Making a complete year's graph is a long and tedious process, which involves copying or transcribing over a thousand four-to-nine-digit numbers.  It's much easier to make one going forward, which just requires doing a few numbers once a week.

Speaking of which, here's 2014 through last Thursday:

Posted Image

• Like 1

That "someone" is not likely to be me, unless I'm really bored some day. Making a complete year's graph is a long and tedious process, which involves copying or transcribing over a thousand four-to-nine-digit numbers. It's much easier to make one going forward, which just requires doing a few numbers once a week.

Speaking of which, here's 2014 through last Thursday:

Posted Image

Lol I don't expect you to do any precious year ones. It does sound like a lot of work. I look forward to seeing the 2014 graph being updated though!
  • Like 1

Note: The graph shows each movie through the end of weekly tracking.  Some made 10% or more of their total after that time.

Yeah that's an annoying problem. For some reason 1998 is particularly affected, a lot films have only 6 weeks of tracking.
  • Like 1