BadAtGender

Wednesday Numbers - TFIOS - 4.1, Maleficent 4.0, EoT 2,8, DoFP 1.7 (rth)

Hate to disagree with you but this is just not true. Animated movies can and do go that high on pre-sales.  If you check the box office buzz and tracking thread where the presales are posted, you will see countless examples from movietickets and fandango 5.

Not trying to dash anyone's hopes but just stating the facts.  :)

Example from March 2014:

Movietickets.com

1. Mr Peabody and Sherman- 18%

2. Divergent- 15% (this is creeping back up)

3. 300 2- 14%

4. The grand Budapest hotel- 10%

5. The Lego movie- 5%

Peabody & Sherman was first that day because Divergent was meant to open the next week and 300 was heading to its second weekend, when it managed to gross 19M.

HTTYD2 is leading pre-sales against a huge male comedy sequel, a huge female drama flick (we know how well those kind of films do in pre-sales) and solid sophomores from EoT and Maleficient.

Peabody & Sherman was first that day because Divergent was meant to open the next week and 300 was heading to its second weekend, when it managed to gross 19M.

HTTYD2 is leading pre-sales against a huge male comedy sequel, a huge female drama flick (we know how well those kind of films do in pre-sales) and solid sophomores from EoT and Maleficient.

Mr. Peabody and Sherman is just one of many examples. My point is animated movies make it that high quite often on pre-sales.

Mr. Peabody and Sherman is just one of many examples. My point is animated movies make it that high quite often on pre-sales.

Sure, but you can find many more examples of YA films doing great in pre-sales.

In animation, it really depends on other strong YA competition. And HTTYD2 has a lot of that competition this weekend. A sure 50M+ opener and three YA films with sure to get strong grosses in the next days.

In animation, it really depends on other strong YA competition. And HTTYD2 has a lot of that competition this weekend. A sure 50M+ opener and three YA films with sure to get strong grosses in the next days.

While what you say may be true, that isn't the point I was making. It has nothing to do with my response to fmpro. I was just pointing out the fact that animated movies do make it that high on pre-sales lists for whatever reason. That is all.

Edited by ECSTASY

What YA competition is there? Fault? Maleficent? Those hardly count.

Well, color me impressed again. I really expected fault to dive harder today than it did. Most films held relatively well though, but still... maybe this thing will have some legs after all. The weekend will tell that tale.

Sun-Wed drops? Shouldn't we look at "day to day"?

The fact that kids are getting out of school seems to be skewing people's opinions of certain films' legs. Friday could be a bloodbath around here. ;)

• Like 1

Is Maleficent as likely to net more DOM box office dough than TASM2 and Gojira as many here think? Or, is that just wishful thinking?

I really believe How To Train Your Dragon 2's going to put a big dent in the family demo and hurt it somewhat this weekend.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Is Maleficent as likely to net more DOM box office dough than TASM2 and Gojira as many here think? Or, is that just wishful thinking?

I really believe How To Train Your Dragon 2's going to put a big dent in the family demo and hurt it somewhat this weekend.

We'll have to see how much Dragon hurts it, and how well it recovers after since there's not much family competition for the rest of the Summer. 

Is Maleficent as likely to net more DOM box office dough than TASM2 and Gojira as many here think? Or, is that just wishful thinking? I really believe How To Train Your Dragon 2's going to put a big dent in the family demo and hurt it somewhat this weekend.

Right now it looks like it should gross more than either of those. Spidey is looking like it will just edge past 200, and Godzilla is probably only going to barely hit it, so if Maleficent can hold on this weekend with a drop of 50% or less, it should go further.
  • Like 1

Hate to disagree with you but this is just not true. Animated movies can and do go that high on pre-sales.  If you check the box office buzz and tracking thread where the presales are posted, you will see countless examples from movietickets and fandango 5.

Not trying to dash anyone's hopes but just stating the facts.  :)

Example from March 2014:

Movietickets.com1. Mr Peabody and Sherman- 18%2. Divergent- 15% (this is creeping back up)3. 300 2- 14%4. The grand Budapest hotel- 10%5. The Lego movie- 5%

I want a divorce
  • Like 1

The Fault in Our Stars is dropping faster than a stripper's g-string on half-off Wednesdays.

No, its actually holding well.
  • Like 1